a ws'ers dream come true! ~pic heavy!!

jodie74
12 years ago

If you've never experienced the joy

of accomplishing more than you can imagine,

plant a garden.

quote / saying by Robert Brault

Here's my gardening story......

In spring of 2010 I tried my hand at growing indoors, under lights. Had minimal success! I'm a very busy mom of 4 kids & I need things to thrive under neglect as I tend to the needs of my family. That can't happen with indoor plants! :)

Later that spring/summer I stumbled upon the winter sowing concept & THIS website. And I couldn't believe what I was reading! They made it seem so easy & yet got INCREDIBLE results! Seemed to good to be true!!! I had to take the leap of faith & give this a try......

I immediately jumped in & participated in EVERY seed trade that I could & started collecting milk jugs. We alone go through 3-4 a week & I also recruited some other families to save them for me. That fall I stumbled upon Miracle Grow Moisture Control potting mix at Sams Club on clearance for around $5 BAG!!! I bought 20 BAGS!!!!

I COULD NOT WAIT FOR DEC 21!!!! I made sure all my Christmas duties were complete so I could get started! LOL And I spent my long winter days winter sowing seeds.......

{{gwi:346850}}

{{gwi:346851}}

{{gwi:346852}}

{{gwi:346854}}

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap,

but by the seeds that you plant.

garden quote / saying by Robert Louis Stevenson

AND THEN IT FINALLY HAPPENED.... MY FIRST SPROUTS!!!!

{{gwi:346856}}

{{gwi:346858}}

{{gwi:346861}}

THIS TRIGGERED THE GREEN TIDAL WAVE......

{{gwi:346863}}

{{gwi:346865}}

{{gwi:346866}}

{{gwi:346867}}

{{gwi:346868}}

Now I needed to create the beds to put all my new babies. My 14 year son was wanting to go on a class field trip and the cost was $400!!! My husband told him he needed to earn that money so the deal was on spring break he was to help me wheelbarrow dirt (we bought a "planter mix" by the truckload for cheap!) I jokingly told him on his last day of school that when he got home a pile of dirt would be there with his name ALL OVER IT!!!

And it was.... :P

{{gwi:346869}}

You can't tell by this pic but that is a FULL SHEET of poster board on about 8 cu yards of dirt!!!

Needless to say he was awesome!!! He worked incredibly hard by my side and helped me build my new flower beds....

The highest reward for man’s toil

is not what he gets for it,

but what he becomes by it.

gardening quote / saying by John Ruskin

{{gwi:346870}}

{{gwi:346871}}

{{gwi:346872}}

{{gwi:346873}}

{{gwi:346874}}

{{gwi:346875}}

{{gwi:346876}}

{{gwi:346877}}

I basically framed my lot with scalloped edged flower beds. I later discovered the wavy edges are NOT the easiest things to mow...... :(

There are no gardening mistakes,

only experiments.

gardening quote / saying by Janet Kilburn Phillips

And the planting out began. I worked for a couple of hours every day planting out.

Gardening requires lots of water...

most of it in the form of perspiration.

gardening quote / saying by Lou Erickson

And here's the end result.......

{{gwi:346878}}

{{gwi:346879}}

{{gwi:346881}}

{{gwi:346883}}

*** a WONDERFUL gift from my husband in this pic^^^... MY FOUNTAIN!!! I LOVE IT!!!!

{{gwi:346884}}

{{gwi:346885}}

My 2 FAVORITE spots to enjoy a lazy, hot summer day....

{{gwi:346886}}

{{gwi:346888}}

My ONLY regret is that I didn't take more pics! By July/Aug we felt strongly that we were going to be moving so I had to shift my gears INSIDE on prepping the house to sell. (that killed me to be inside so much and NOT in my garden!!!) My heart was CRUSHED as I thought I was losing my garden!! All that work-GONE!!! My husband tried to help by calling it my "practice garden" but that didn't help! Nice try honey. :) Well, the week before Christmas we got the news that the transfer would NOT be happening! Yes, it took my husbands company ALL THAT TIME!! GRRRRR!!!!

You can imagine my JOY on hearing the news!!!! I'll get to see my babies grow big after all!!!!

A garden is never so good

as it will be next year.

garden quote / saying by Thomas Cooper

In my garden there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams.

The thoughts grow as freely as the flowers,

and the dreams are as beautiful.

gardening quote / saying by Abram L. Urba

My perennial babies were little last year with not much of a showing but I'm sure more will bloom next summer & the 3rd summer-Well, I'm giddy with anticipation for that summer. :P

One of the most delightful things about a garden

is the anticipation it provides.

quote / saying by W.E. Johns,

The Passing Show

Sorry this is so long but I can't say it enough...

To the WONDERFUL, AWESOME, HELPFUL, GIVING, TRUSTWORTHY, WARM HEARTED, INTELLIGENT, CREATIVE, SINCERE, FUNNY, PATIENT, AND ALL AROUND BEST PEOPLE YOU'LL EVER MEET ON THE WEB.....

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!

Comments (37)

• beachgrub
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Don't apologize for the length of your post- i wanted more!! Lol thank you for sharing! I'm a newbie to ws this year and seeing your huge success is so encouraging. I only wish i had a clean slate like u had but i've been in my house for 4 years now and have been gardening since day one. I am adding 2 new huge beds this year tho and will fill in my other sparce (to say the least) beds. After seeing your raised bed i've decided i'm going for that! Thanx for the inspiration!!

• melvalena
    12 years ago

This was such a wonderful post to read! I loved all the garden quotes too. I love all those beds around the lot.

I don't know why we are all so amazed every time a seed sprouts and grows... but we are, aren't we? :)

I'm so happy your garden is turning out the way you wanted it to, and that your family helped you so much along the way.

So, your outside is all purrdy.. and your inside is too I'll bet.

So you sit back and have a drink and look around. Bask in the glory of all your hard work. (ignore that to do list for a while)

What's next???
    No need to answer... as a gardener I know, I know.. our work is never DONE. There's always something.

• sjc48
    12 years ago

Jodie, I'm so glad you didn't have to move, and thanks for sharing the pics - I too wanted more - post this spring and summer when more are blooming, please!
    Did your son get to go on his field trip?
    I am waiting, impatiently, for my 2010/11 WSed perennials to bloom this year, like the indigo and lupine. Can hardly wait!
    Thanks, Jodie, this post was very inspiring!
    Shirley!

• tomva
    12 years ago

Great Post Jodie
    Loved it!!

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

Great Post is Right. That's impressive. Very beautiful!
    Congratulations!

Most enjoybable.

• msmashy
    12 years ago

What an inspiration! Thanks for sharing!
    Michelle

• ibheri
    12 years ago

I loved the post, this is my first yr and I am drawing a lot of inspiration from you. I may be late, I got about 23 milk cartons cut and filled yesterday. I need to do seeds by this weekend. The winter has been very moderate so far in Texas, I am not sure how this is going to work out but I am willing to give it a shot. Once again thnx for posting and a great job done by your son.

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

Jodie, you couldn't have said it better! The garden is just breathtakingly beautiful! You get a pat on the back for an excellent job well done! That's about the looks of my dream garden (LOVE the fountain). :)

What are the pink flowers by the fountain? They look really neat! The ones planted by the walkway to your front porch, are those zinnias? Whatever they all are, they and the rest of your garden just look spectactular!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• aklinda
    12 years ago

When I saw all those containers I wondered where you were going to put them all.......until I saw all those beds. I loved the photos. I started alot of containers this year but they are to fill in existing beds. I am getting gimpier every year and am at the max I think I can maintain - and I use that term "maintain" VERY loosely. I'm glad you don't have to leave the garden that you worked so hard on.

• kmsimmons
    12 years ago

Thanks for sharing. I am waiting on seeds to try my first time winter sowing, and it is amazing to see the rewards from the process. Your yard is beautiful and has increased my anxiousness to get started :)

• oliveoyl3
    12 years ago

Thank you for showing & sharing your gardening adventures last year. I remember when you posted about getting to stay & see your garden grow up. One thing about an established garden is you'll have divisions to put in other places including sharing with friends. Gardeners are generous people after all! Plus, the birds will learn to stop in your garden on their migration route & some that overwinter will stay put keeping your bugs at bay & providing entertainment. You don't have to put out a bird feeder when you leave seed bearing plants standing with seeds remaining & not all taken for seed exchanges.

Great inspiration & suggestion for including your family in your labors. It makes them appreciate your garden space, too. Love that pool & shady spots for resting along with the peaceful fountain.

Take more pics & keep sharing them with us.

Corrine

• rbrady
    12 years ago

Awesome post and pics Jodie!

Rhonda

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

Amazing! You've accomplished more in one year than I have in 10. You'll have a lot more blooms this summer. Have your camera ready.

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

What a nice garden renovation and great post!

Karen

• jodie74
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone. I do promise to share more pics this year! :)

My son did definately go on his field trip and we gave him extra spending money as well. I feel like I need a discourse here..... My son is only 14 but weighs 170, went to STATES for wrestling, plays football..... Wheelbarrowing dirt was a walk in the park for him! LOL.

Moonwolf.... Pink flowers by fountain are balsam and gaillardia / blanketflower are in the front. :)

I do involve my whole family. All my kids help plant seeds and help plant out. It's awesome to see their expressions when something blooms that they helped plant. I feel it's important to teach them how to take care of the earth so it can take care of us in return. :)

Thanks again for your kind words everyone!
    Jodie

• sissyz
    12 years ago

What an awesome post this was! I, too, have been yanked around the country by my hub's company. This is my 5th new construction landscape. You are truly an inspiration.
    I also love the way you taught your son the value of hard work. Instead of handing him a check, he was blessed enough to reap the rewards of a job well done.
    Does he take any credit for the garden, I wonder?! GREAT POST
    c:

• jodie74
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Funny story about my son....... The week before Christmas I went to my local garden center to get pro mix and they had awesome tulip bulbs on clearance for dirt cheap.

So I dragged my hubby and son out to dig holes for me and help plant the 500 or so tulips. While digging the last hole, my son says..... "Mom, I think you should start scrap booking again!". In other words your gardening habit makes ME work! I laughed so hard!!!!!!

• EZGarden
    12 years ago

This is awesome. Thanks for sharing the pics and the inspiration.

I am doing something similar but in Texas they sprout in January anyway so I am putting them out early and covering them with row cover and plastic tops for later transplanting.

Please make sure you update this thread with this springs showing!

• cogardener2675
    12 years ago

Jodie- Thanks for the inspiration! THis is my first year ws'ing and I feel like an expectant parent with my seeds. I loved the garden quotes -- beautiful, beautiful post. Thsnks for sharing your story.

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

Wow those are some pretty blanket flowers! I've never seen ones that were all red! They're gorgeous! :) I grew balsam last year and they're pretty too! The light pink flowers are what I originally meant but now that I look at them closer, I can see those are sedums. We have one too that color.

It's really great that you involve your family with helping out in the garden. I loved your son's comment! Any project you put your heart (and blood, sweat and tears lol) into always is worth it in the end.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• october17
    12 years ago

Wonderful post Jodie! You have inspired me!

Love all the quotes too!

• fixerupperinnh
    12 years ago

You've got me dreaming of spring! Nice job on your garden beds. Thanks for sharing, it's a real pick me up for those of us staring at naked tree branches this time of year.

• not_a_contessa
    12 years ago

Jodie your post should certainly remove any doubts that a potential WS'er might have. Congrats on a job well done and an excellent visual guide to what Winter Sowing is all about.

Mary

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Wonderful results in your yard and a great post here, Jodi. Your son may be wishing you were back scrap booking today but in the future he will remember helping you go from a bare yard to plant filled beds.

I, too, remember starting with scalloped edges and quickly learning to turn them into long gentle curves.

Glad you will be staying in your home so you can enjoy your hard work and see your perennials mature.

• docmom_gw
    12 years ago

You are an inspiration. Even for an old hand. I've been wintersowing for nearly 10 years--give or take a few. Now I've moved into new space with mostly shade, so I'm embarking on a new chapter in my gardening. My kids are also teenagers now and my son struggles severely with depression and weight--due to medications. So, I'm hoping to give them a valuable experience in transforming the new yard into a peaceful haven for us all. I've gotten a good start on wintersowing, but I've got lots to do yet. Thanks for the confirmation.

Martha

• lizbest1
    12 years ago

Jodi, your post is absolutely amazing. I put out my first 10 milk jugs ever for wintersowing last week and you are an inspiration to keep going. Thank you very much for your post.

• TraceyOKC
    12 years ago

Thanks for the inspiration! Your post was a pleasure to read. :-)

• northforker
    12 years ago

All I can say is - Wow! I'd read your earlier post about not having to move and leave your new beds, but seeing what you've created there, I have a much deeper appreciation for how happy you must have been to STAY PUT!!! I KNOW that both the seed starting and the planting were TON of work (as only one who has been there can know..) and I am so glad you will be there for year 2 of your perennials. All I can say is that in year 3, you are going to FLIP at how beautiful it is and everyone around you will think you spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on "pop in" perennial plants and will have a hard time believing that you grew each and every cluster of plants from seed.

But you'll know...and be SO proud.

Oh, and can I borrow that 14 year old boy? And a few of his friends from the sports teams? I went to lift a bale of promix this morning and thought - gosh, I've gotten completely out of shape this winter. Starting the spring planting maddness is going to be rough! A crew of 14 year olds would be perfect.

• Jo-Ann
    12 years ago

Absolutely breathtaking, and holy moly, sure has lifted my spirits!

I love your gardening 'quotes' and I truly look forward to seeing this year's version of your garden.

• organic_greenjeans
    12 years ago

Inspirational! I've bookmarked your photo page to bolster my courage as I take the WSing leap of faith for the first time this year!

• philmont_709n2
    12 years ago

There is an incomparable joy I get when seeing all those new fresh sprouts. Makes me want to plant so much more! Thanks for an awesome post!

• jodie74
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hard to believe it's been 3 YEARS already! And it my LEAP YEAR!!!! (first year perennials sleep, second year they creep and third year, they LEAP!!!!) Yes, we never moved, thank God, and I'm here to witness my LEAP YEAR!

I'll be sure to post LOTS OF PICS of my flower beds. I haven't winter sowed anything yet...l'm anticipating my beds to fill in nicely, however, I am starting to ws lots of reseeding annuals to fill in my holes. Just started today actually. Felt so wonderful to be out in the sunshine.

To all the new winter sowers.... DREAM BIG and watch all your garden dreams come true with the winter sowing method!!!!!

• docmom_gw
    11 years ago

Jodie,
    I'm so glad you popped back in to show us your progress. I remember your story and think it is a wonderful encouragement for anyone new to wintersowing. The process really works. I can't wait to see your yard in it's "mature" state. Thanks again for posting.

Martha

• terrene
    11 years ago

Wow your gardens looked great back then! Growing plants from seed work so well when you want to cover a lot of ground, so to speak. Very economical. Would love to see updates of your pics!

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

What a wonderful post, Jodie. Great photos, and I can feel your enthusiasm coming through! So glad you don't have to leave your lovely yard. Love the way you did your beds - and your yard looks so darn neat compared to mine, lol!

Congrats on a job very well done!
    :)
    Dee

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    11 years ago

Great post and lovely gardens. I've been struggling for years with my "perennial" garden. So nice to see patience pay off. Enjoy the show this year.

• jvdubb
    11 years ago

Jodie that was so cool!! This is my first year and I too will be creating new flower beds to put my babies in!

Thank you so much for sharing!!

Sponsored