Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Slowly But Surely Getting My Seeds Planted

Posted by moonwolf Z6 Central PA (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 15, 12 at 11:53

Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble collecting containers so that's why I'm not planting lots at a time like last year. However, I have two more containers I can do today! :) I'm gonna be brave and plant at least one of my hardy annual seeds (I'm thinking Nicotiana sylvestris, but I'm not sure yet) today and one of my many types of perennials. Anyone else sown or sowing their hardy annuals now?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Slowly But Surely Getting My Seeds Planted

Yes, no problem for hardy annuals now. Tiny volunteer seedling of poppies, BBs, larkspur winter over in my garden beds unfazed with no protection.

Karen

o

Hi Karen,

Okay! That's good to know! I didn't plant any yesterday but the next time I get a container (which should be shortly), I'm going to plant one of the hardy annuals in it. The trouble is, which one? LOL

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

I took a couple of extra days off last week to get all of the seeds I ordered New Years Eve planted - I use cups in plastic packers because it's the best way for me to keep them moist - not much precip where I live. I did close to 300 cups. And today I am ordering more seeds - a couple types of patio tomatoes and 5 more perennial flowers. I THINK that might be it - but once the seeds hit the local stores I could end up with a few more things. I am on the verge of going WAY overboard - but have some big holes to fill in my flower bed. I think I will have to drum up some help to plant them all, if even half of them sprout.

o

I did 300 containers last season. Oooh...boy...what a lot of work. I am definitely cutting that down. The recycling man gave me a funny look when he saw several trash cans full of jugs with plant readings on them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here