Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emcd124

Best herbs or flowers to WS for Mothers Day?

emcd124
11 years ago

I'm leading a bit WS lesson at my son's preschool (3-6 yr olds) where they will WS all the vegetables for their summer garden, and flowers for the school. The teachers also mentioned that they would be interested in figuring out if there was something the kids could WS that they could pot up (in pots the kids paint themselves) and give to the moms for Mothers Day.

We're in Z5 northern Indiana. I wasnt sure what we could WS that would be big enough by mid-May to pot up and give to someone for mothers day. I thought either some kind of annual flower or even some kitchen herb could be really nice. This is only my second year WSing, and last year I did only veggies, no herbs, no flowers, so I'm not sure about the timing for those. And it would be good to pick something that had a pretty high success rate (eg no Rosemary, that finicky seed!).

For herbs I was thinking maybe lemon balm, oregano, mint or thyme.
For flowers i was trying to collect a list of those you can WS in february even in Z5, thinking that gave them time to be more than puny by May. So I've been looking at alyssum, calendula, cosmos, flax, german camomile, snap dragon.

Any good suggestions or guidance to offer me in picking?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals