Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When is the optimum time to sow perennials that don't need Strati

Posted by Micki777 6 PA (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 20, 12 at 14:04

When is the best time to sow perennials that don't need stratified? I don't see why they should have to handle that cold weather if there not going to do anything until Spring anyway.

Can someone pls tell me what is the agreed upon time to sow the flowers starting with non stratifiable per, to the non hardy annuals. If you don't mind coud you tell me what is the best time, not just an acceptable time. Such as it might be exseptable to sow a hardy perennial now that didn't need stratified, but a better time would be to wait until the weather warmed up a bit a couple months down the road, like in March.

Thank You for your input,
Micki
Over 200 lost count have to check with zone wars. Have to add 19 more jugs.

At this point I am trying to try to keep the number down so for now I have come to a complete halt.
Can't say the intervention from Gardenweed didn't help to bring me back to earth. LOL Eileen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When is the optimum time to sow perennials that don't need St

You can sow them anytime during winter, they'll sprout when the weather warms. How soon you want to sow them close to Spring is based on your own personal need.

o

The best time for me is in the middle of winter when I'm looking for distraction. By March and April I'm busy, busy, busy in the garden and often don't get to things I've set aside for spring sowing. This year I'm going to make an extra effort to at least sow Scabiosa Isaac House Blend, I've been holding onto these "sow after last frost" seeds for longer than I care to admit and really want to see if they look as lovely as google images says.

o

• Posted by bakemom z6 Central Ohio (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 24, 12 at 7:34

anytime after 12/21. Seeds don't mind cold. They're smarter than you think.

o

thank you,
what about hardy annuals?

o

• Posted by bakemom z6 Central Ohio (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 26, 12 at 14:37

any time. it's the tenders that sonme folks sow a little later depending on your climate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here