Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladyrose65

Winter Sowing Pictures

ladyrose65
13 years ago

I hope this works. I have no idea what I am doing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57071556@N07/

Comments (13)

• ladyrose65
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Please let me know if this works! And any info. on how I can make this easier.
    Cordially,
    Ladyrose

• PVick
    13 years ago

Ladyrose - things look pretty good to me. Seems like you're doing just fine. As to ones you say are staying dry - don't worry about the condensation too much. If you heft them, do they have some weight? Is the soil a brownie-brown? Then they are wet enough. Condensation will come.

So ... you're growing seaweed?????

Here's a clickable link to your photos:

Ladyrose's photos

PV

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

The only thing I would suggest is making some kind of ventilation in your plastic over the cups before germination sometime.

You could simply take a pencil and poke a hole in the plastic right in the center of each cup and I think that may be suffice.

• adamark
    13 years ago

also, make sure that the buttom portions of your containers are labeled. I was not sure looking at your pictures. In the spring, when you are planting a lot, things can get easily mixed up - speaking from experience here.

• PVick
    13 years ago

If you look closely, carolyn, I think there are vent holes over the cups.

All these sowing pictures are making me itchy to get started.

PV

• ladyrose65
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the advice.

Adamark, I can tell already, the permanent markers are starting to fade. When it gets dryer, I'm going to go over each one w/a numbering system. I have a data chart set-up.

Thank You

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Pvick, you have better eyes than me!! I sure thought that was condensation. Oh well so much for my advice!!

• ladyrose65
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank You Pvick.

The ones with the cups have holes in the bottom and sides of each cup. Large holes at the bottom of the pan. Skewer holes in the plastic. But I will poke some more.

• terrene
    13 years ago

Your jugs and cups look great! The only ones that look questionable might be the chicken containers, not sure they are deep enough to have enough soil for the sprouts. Also why do you have skewers in the morning glories??

• ladyrose65
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's giving me trouble doing follow-up posts. I hope everyone can see thank You.

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

Sometimes the mix in 2Ls and jugs can look dry during the winter when they are frozen but it really isn't. If the mix was damp when you put them out they will be okay. When they thaw as the weather warms it is easy to see that they are moist. If not, as they thaw the snow and rain will moisten the mix. I don't worry about watering until the weather is warm enough to dry out the mix.

• ladyrose65
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Terene, I saw a picture of the rotisseries being used on WS.org. I was contemplating the bottom being so shallow. I have the Columbine seeds in each of those. I really love the dome top. Skewers' anything that vines gets skewers'.

This is what I planted so far: I used Trudi's WS Chart for zone 6.
    Amaranthus: Love Lie Bleeding & Oeshcberg, Russian Sage-Taiga, Butteryfly Bush, Hosta's, Stock, Veronica, Strawberries: Fresca and Alpine--Alexandria, Foxglove: Elsie Kesley & Excelsior Hybrids, Delphinium: Summer colors, CT Yankee & Magic Fountains Mix, Hollyhock's: Chamois, Happy Lights, & Black, Goldenrod, Columbine: Red Hobbit, Biedermeir & Clementine Mix, Astilbe: Showstar, Passion Vine: Blue Crown, Sea Lavender, Blue Scent Lavender, Hibiscu Luna Mix, Cape Fuchsia, English Daisy: Habanera Mix, Penstemon: Scarlet Queen, Lupine: Russell's and Band of Nobles Mix.

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

Most vining plants won't need the skewers in the containers as the seedlings are mostly planted out before vining begins. If you decide to let the vining plants grow on for awhile before planting you can add the skewers later when you have removed the tops.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville