Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Feb 2nd group planting experiment

Posted by lilykit64 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 29, 13 at 14:27

On Feb 2 nd you are invited to join a group of us who will be WSing the following seeds on the same day in the different zones that we live in and tracking the germination results and posting them. It is a fun project just to see how you compare with others across the country using this method. We decided to plant the following: delphiniums (pacific giants) , cosmos ( sensation mix) and tomatoes ( Cherokee purple and/or Black Krim). You can plant all of those or just what you have. Wtth the wacky weather we're having there should be some interesting results. I know that my jugs are buried in a blanket of snow right now. But tomorrow we be in the 50's.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Feb 2nd group planting experiment

I'm just planting the cosmos I have, which is bright lights mix. I think my delphs are pacific giants, but I grew the originals so long ago that I no longer have the seed packet -- my seeds are from my own plants. Still, it should work.If I see some cosmo sensation today I'll pick up a pack.

o

This will be interesting to see all the results...I plan on posting lots of photos. I hope everyone else posts photos too!

o

I'm in - will be planting Cosmos and Delphiniums. They are from plants I save seeds from but the originals (many years ago) were Pacific Giants and Sensations Mix).

o

I am in for all 3, also.

o

I will participate also. I don't have the tomato seeds,but I already have the flowers. Has anyone seen the Cherokee Purple seeds in any of the big stores?

o

Grabbed some cosmos sensation mix yesterday at Lowes. Tracey, I think I got some black krim seeds at lowes last year, too. Have never seen the cherokee purple in any store, though. But the DTM for cherokee purple is 80-90 according to my seed pack, so I would think any tomato in that range would work. I'm not really sure if tomatoes germinate quicker from variety to variety.

Just checked my seed packs again. The ones from Totally Tomatoes all say germination is 14-21 days at 77-86 degrees regardless of variety. The burpees say 7-10 days at 70-75.

As for taste, I think I prefer the black krim to the cherokee, but everyone's is different. I've seen people on here rave about tomatoes I didn't really care for and vice versa. They're both interesting looking. To me that was the joy of winter sowing -- finally having the space and an easy method to try out varieties I'd never seen in the nurseries or big box stores.

Caryl

o

I agree with you about that. Last year I ordered from wintersown.org, I really enjoyed the tomatoes varietys. I had some Cherokee purple but didn't manage to save any. I will check lowes for the black krim.

If I don't see them I will sub another variety.

o

I will plant all 3. I went downtown today and bought Cosmos Sensation and Pacific Giants delphinium and I already had the Black Krim tomato seeds. This should be a very interesting experiment. I'm eager to see how it works out.

o

I'm down. I will have the Delph's, Black Krim and I will pick a pack of cosmos bipinnatus. I don't have "Sensations Mix". I will take picture of my jugs.

Lily, I think for the experiment to be less non-biased, is that we give input on containers, but also our brand of our soil mix, input on those of us who add fertilizers to soil mix and last are the containers placed directly on the ground or are they sitting on top of something (deck, box, plastic carrier, etc.) I believe the container placement should be a common factor among all whom enter.

Why I say so, I feel the containers that are place in something, example, styrofoam cup placed in aluminum pan, topped off with plastic, to me this is like double greenhouse as apposed to just a straight plastic container.

Given that we all live in different climate zones. I think a consistent across the board container and placement should be very similar. It would make the experiment less biased. What do you all think?

o

Yes, yes, yes...I agree with you, ladyrose65. All of these details must be the same or at least, taken in consideration if we want our results to be as accurate as possible. Good idea for future experiments.

o

I'm using 2L soda bottles/and or milk jugs. I never use cups or lasagne pans. As for placement, mine used to go on the patio, but the new dog likes to carry things off so they're now in a fenced garden on a stone pathway, which makes the placement similar to the patio pavers.

I was planning on putting these three on the patio table so I could keep a better eye on them and not mix them up with the other ws containers, especially since I've already done some delphs. Even putting them on the patio I always get worms in the containers -- how they get through the little slits in the bottom still amazes me.

Caryl

As for soil, I always use miracle grow potting soil -- it's what I have and I've never had any problems with it.

o

I planted my delphiniums last week. I have the cosmos and Cherokee purple tomatoes to plant tomorrow.

Don

o

I'd like to participate, too! I have the Sensation Cosmos and a tall Delphenium, unsure which variety as they were collected locally and weren't marked. I don't have any comparable tomato seeds--tried them last year and had no success, unfortunately. I will probably try them this year a bit later in a make-shift greenhouse.

I will be using soda jugs for this experiment with Miricle Grow and they are on an elevated deck with partial cover, east-south-eastern exposure.

o

Looks liKe we are all set for tomorrow. We are missing some Zones but maybe they'll jump in at the last minute. I wil sow 4 milk jugs with the following seeds: Pacific Giant Delphs, Sensation mix Cosmos , Black Krim and Purple Cherokee Tomatoes. I am using Botanical Interest seeds. I usually set my jugs on the deck to start and move them around according to the sun and weather.....and wind these days. I will post photos.

o

Drat! Where was my mind? I was thinking the 2nd was Sunday, not tommorrow. Thought I'd have all day Sunday to buy, prep, and sow. I have to work tomorrow, and don't have all the seeds here in the house. I think I have the cosmos seeds, though, and perhaps some old delph seeds at the bottom of the seedbox.

Guess I better get my butt out in this 25-degree weather and start chipping potting mix off the frozen block, lol. Better to do it in the 25-degree weather in the setting sun than in the dark tomorrow night!

:)
Dee

o

wow-You are that warm today? LOL...It was -3F with the windchill for the high for the day...uugghh know what you mean about frozen bags of soil! Even in the basement....right there with you ;0)

o

I'm in also. I will use milk jugs and 2L bottles with ProMix. I have all the seeds though they are all six years old. Still, I have had good germination with older seeds.

Started with the coldest temps of the winter this morning and have started to warm up, temp is 1F now. Expecting a high of 14F tomorrow.

o

I would love to help with this experiment.
This is my first attempt at winter sowing.
I only have the Cherokee Purple right now, will pop out tomorrow and get at least one of the flowers listed.
(I just saw the forum today, so maybe others will to and join in.)

o

I'm in! Funny, I just sowed some Delph's tonight, they were Pacific Giants too; but I can do somemore tomorrow (I didn't use the whole pack)
. Mine will be in milk jugs, on the deck, on the east side of my house.

All of mine will be Botanical Interest seeds and will plant them in Farfard soil/soilless starting mix.

Should we keep a count of the number of seeds we plant in each container; or are we just testing germination dates?

o

Planted all my 4 seed varieties by 9:15 !! Thank Phil for giving us an early Spring.......I hope !!

o

Here are my jugs amongst some of their friends. I have sown 176 jugs as of this moment. The rest are on my other patio and I will eventually move these off the deck too.

o

Planted 1 juice jug each of the delphiniums and cosmos this morning.

o

All three containers done -- delphiniums, cherokee purple and cosmos sensation -- and sitting on patio table. I'll probably move them to the fenced garden to join their brethren soon. This is the earliest I've ever put out tomatoes so it should be interesting. Last year I did them Feb. 22, about a week or so later than 2011.

Good luck everyone.

o

Planted cosmos sensation mix in half gallon milk jug using Fafard 52 mix (seeds lightly covered). I placed the jug on the east side of the garden shed with the rest of my jugs, setting on bricks.

o

I'm doing Cosmos Sensation mix and Cherokee purple tomatoes in 2 LTR bottles this afternoon. They are going on the east side of the house with the trees, shrubs and perennials where they will get morning sun. I could put them along the house foundation, but that is where I usually put the cups I sow in early Spring.

I would agree with Ladyrose that we try to have some conformity and suggest that people try to select a location on their property that gets partial sun or approx. a half day of sun.

o

Count me in even though I just read the thread.. I will do Black Krim & Sensation mix, never have any luck with Delphiniums..will plant in 1/2gal milk jugs &place on a table which faces east..will post pics tomorrow.

o

Yahoo, I got my cosmos (sensation mix) and tomatoes
(Cherokee purple) done today. I am a first time winter sower so I only set out 6 containers today. . Had to run out and rescue all the 2liter Mountain Dew bottles my hubby but in the recycle bin.

o

Hello everyone! Great idea, finally made me start WSowing this year. This is going to be my forth year. However, it is going to be my first for tomatoes, never was brave enough.

o

I did all four: Cosmos Sensation, Delphinium Giant Pacific, Black Krim and Cherokee Purple. All seeds from Botanical Interests. They are in one gallon milk jags with ProMix mixed with a little Perlite. Right now, they are just outside the door. Tommorow, I'll move them to the east site. For tomatoes, I put six seeds per jag.

o

I planted all three today in quart milk jugs. They are on the ground with sun from about noon until dusk. This is the same place where all my wintersowing containers are.

o

OK - 4 containers done with Cosmos (Sensation Blend), Delphinium (Pacific Giant), Tomato (Black Krim) and Tomato (Cherokee Purple). All Botanical Interest seeds and 39 seeds in each containers.
Zone 7

o

I did Cosmos "Seashell Mix", Delphinium "Astrolat" and "Black Krim" Tomato. When I finished Wsing the rest of my seeds it was to dark to take pictures. The jugs are outside on top of an wooden fence (courtesy of Sandy). They receive all day sun. I will take pictures tomorrow.

o

Woo...just made it...I got my seeds in the mail today and got them in their containers.

Notice that I cut the top of #16 (the tomato container) much higher up than the others. I am going to try a side experiment. As the tomato grows, I plan to pick off the lowest leaves and gradually fill the container with soil until I get to the top. The tomato stem will grow roost as I fill in around it. By the time I'm ready to plant it out in the garden, it should have lots of roots!

20130202_WinterSowing_0001

o

Well I totally forgot. Granted I have 2 hours until the day is over. But I'm lacking the ambition to get off the couch!

o

Deleting double entry

This post was edited by pixie_lou on Sat, Feb 2, 13 at 21:50

o

Oh, you can do it pixie lou! You can do it! Once you get up and get them planted, you'll be glad you did.

o

Got my seeds sown late this afternoon. 1 jug of Cosmos 'Sensation Mix' sown thickly since I used old seeds.
1 jug of Delphinium 'Pacific Giants', mixed, 15 seeds.
A 2L of Tomato 'Stump of the World', 3 seeds from 2010.
They are on the back cement patio which gets 1/2 day sun.
First winter sowing for me this year. Also did some other varieties of cosmos, delphiniums, and tomatoes.

o

Started sowing tomato seed yesterday. 2 containers of beefsteak, 2 containers of Roma, and 3 containers of an unknown variety. 30 seeds per container.
I got a bushel of tomatoes grown locally last year that had good flavor, perfect size for both canning and sandwich, and just "had a good look". I saved the seed (and got about 1,000 seeds) to replant but have no idea what variety they are. The grower didn't remember either!

Here is a link that might be useful: DW's Blog

o

I did mine yesterday. I almost forgot! Id done about 15 various containers, cleaned up and was getting ready for work before I remembered! I ran back out and sowed the cosmos, delph and tom out in 5 mins flat!

I will share details when I have a few more mins.

o

My two test subjects. Cherokee Purple and Cosmos.
On East side of house on a plastic out door table.

o

Wow- the photos have been great. Now all we have to do is WAIT !! I think I am going to be the last to see germination. Should we take bets...LOL !!!
I am going to make a spreadsheet of everyone on board to track the results. Again I know there are a lot of variables involved with this test but it is really just a way of touching basis with each other in different zones.
Matt- glad you rec'd your seeds in time. Keep on sowing. Noticed you jumped on board the Zone Wars too.

I am also doing a personal experiment by sowing the same plants in succession to see if they all germinate at the same time or really come up at different times. Just for fun....of course !!!

o

I planted mine but forgot to post! I planted Cosmos (Mix from my garden), Delphiniums (pacific Giant & Fantasia Mix, and Cherokee Purple. All my containers are with the rest of my ws containers facing southeast in my fenced garden....have to keep them away from Mastiff pups-lol..

o

Well, I missed out yesterday. Just had too long of a day at work to come home and WS. If I had been better prepared it would have happened.

Oh well. I am still going to watch to see how you all do, and look forward to the results of the experiment - and the photos! Good luck everyone, and have fun!

Dee

o

Lilikit, I'm going to bet that your succession plantings come up right around the same time as your earliest ones depending on variety.

I'll be doing the rest of my tomatoes and other plants over the next few weeks. What will probably happen is I'll see a sprout from one tomato variety one day then others within the next few days even if they're sown a couple weeks apart. There are so many variables, but the one thing they all need is the right soil temps and light for the right amount of time.

I never thought about it before, but I wonder if the containers in the middle of a grouping germinate earlier because they're protected by the others and are somehow warmer? Something to look for when sprouting time comes -- probably not till March or later this year. We're getting colder temps and more snow than last year. It snowed for the third time in five nights last night -- just an inch or so, but last winter we had no snow after an early Oct. storm.

Caryl

o

Hi Lilykit,

I sowed 2 small cups of cosmos Sensation Mix & 2 small cups of delphinium Pacific Giant Mix on Feb 2 when it was 72F. Now I see zones 7 to 8b listed as the hottest rec for delphinium and I am heat zone 9. I doubt if I qualify!

Japanese magnolias are blooming here & I think it is too late for hot plastic jugs with high sides. I save styrofoam cups from events & have placed them underneath a roof overhang to protect from both wind and sun. Area faces west with indirect light, the only place where they have enough protection. See bronze fennel in background.

Used 100 percent vermiculite as advised to minimize bugs. Placed cups on top of more moist vermiculite to protect them from the hot plastic in Glad plastic bin (note outline at right in pic), as in a warm climate we are advised not to place containers on the ground where the bugs are. Sticks to keep plastic off cups, recycled plastic straws cut and labeled as plant markers. Sprayed with hydrogen peroxide to retard algae. Punched holes in a plastic bag that might have come on a large pkg of paper towels.

The 2 links below say certain types of delphinium need cold. Do you know about Pacific Giants? Thanks for your good work, Lilykit, and best wishes, River, zone 8b, heat zone 9

8 kinds of delphinium, 2 get sowed at 39F:
Tom Clothier germination site
Swallowtail says germ. improved by 2 wks in fridge:
See very bottom of this Swallowtail page

This post was edited by river_crossroads on Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 20:42

o

Well, I did my 2 containers of Cosmos Sensation and Cherokee purple on Saturday, and I'm pretty sure that mine will NOT be amongst the early ones to sprout...

Now I'm kinda wishing I'd had some Pacific Giant Delph seeds too! They are gorgeous. I have grown them from seed under lights, many years ago in the late 1980s. As I recall, they did quite well, and got huge, but the blooms are so heavy that they are quite floppy and need to be staked.

o

Years ago, before I knew anything about WS, I bought a pack of delphinium, i think pacific giant, and planted them in a windowsill in the spring. They got no cold stratification (because I didn't even know what that was at the time) and got four plants out of it that I nurtured inside for a season before planting out. They came up every year until last summer when they just didn't. So I'd say why not give it a try if you have the seeds. They are pretty, though they do need to be staked, nothing elaborate, just a thin bamboo stake or stick would work.

o

I did mine on Feb 2nd as well.

o

Hi all, noticed sprouts of cosmos Sensation Mix today 2/7/13. Sowed 2/2/13. Please see my long post of 2/4/13 above for exact conditions.

Weather here: 70-75F days, 50-55F nights and I see other z8'ers reporting sprouts for their ws'ing tho' they are not part of The Experiment. Azaleas are starting to bloom. My problem is always getting plants from seedlings to mature plants without killing them so wish me luck!

o

It rained here for 12 hours today.
After it stopped raining at 9pm, I stepped out to add more containers to my WSing table. I peeked inside my Cosmo bottle and Cherokee Purple bottle - I think the Cosmos have 2or 3 sprouts. I will check again in the morning and post a pic.
Low today was 51 and Hi was 58 - its been pretty sunny and nice (hi of 65-70)for the last week

o

Congrats on your sprouts! I haven't even checked mine, but the conditions here are hardly conducive yet -- overcast, cold, snow dusting every other day or so and now that big storm rolling in, although we're only supposed to get a couple of inches max here in SE PA. I think Terrene's containers might be buried in snow by Saturday, though, since New England is expected to get the brunt of this storm.

o

Cosmo Babies. . I am so surprised. Really I am. . .I know we will get a nasty little cold snap in the next few weeks, we always do, either at the end of Feb or the beginning of march. Hope these little sprouts are strong enough to survive.

o

Wow- I can't believe it !! My jugs are frozen solid and now we are expecting NEMO. I do not think we will get the FEET they are predicting but it should be a wild night. I'll post photos tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how zone 8 has to deal with seesaw temps over the next month.

o

Did a routine check of my WSing containers this morning, and to my slight surprise, I was greeted by several more sprouts in my Cosmo container. Tomatoes are still chillin' I guess. (side note, also have one sprout in one of my bean containers.)

o

Today I saw the cosmos starting to sprout, just 2 so far, and their heads haven't even popped all the way up, just an elbow of the stems showing! The other 3 containers - nothing.. yet

o

Checked this morning -- no sprouts yet.

o

Mine are still a solid block of ice .....snow is melting, though:0)

o

I have a severe case of sprout envy. Mine containers are under several inches of snow. It is way too early to think spring here.

o

My containers (not for this experiment but others) are under several FEET of snow, lol. As are those of many others, I'm guessing, after this weekend!

Hope everyone is safe. Sure is nice to see not only those pretty seed packets above, but some sprouts, even if they are way down in Georgia!

Dee

o

Dee,
Will it make you feel better if I say I am from central GA, not southern GA. LOL

I used to get sprout envy when I saw pictures of my brothers garden, He lived in southern Louisiana, now lives here here me. I truly hope everyone caught up in that monster storm is doing well. We here in the 'south' are just getting inches and inches of rain. My front yard looks like a grassy lake. LOL

Missy

o

Snow melted, but def. not sprouts.

o

LOL, Missy, I'm so bad with geography and concepts of size (perhaps because I'm from the small state of CT) that Georgia is just Georgia, lol, south or central! It's just "way down south"! Is there that much of a difference between central and south?

It's killing me that I'm stuck home for four days and counting, and have not been able to do any more WSing. Procrastinator extraordinaire that I am, I STILL haven't brought in my potting soil from the patio, and now its under 4 feet or so of snow (the 2+ feet that fell and the 2+ feet that got shoveled on top of it!). But even if the potting mix were inside, I've spent most of those 4 days shoveling, so not much time for WSing anyway. Heck, I'd rather be at work than "off" and doing all this shoveling!

Dee

o

Dee,

Actually, hardiness wise, probably not much difference in weather, but during the summer, yes I think there is. I detest having to go "down to southern GA" because its as hot as Fla to me. LOL

I have been able to put out 7 more containers since last week. Its been raining for two days, so I have not gone out to check for progress. (no I am not complaining about the rain, and yes I am supremely thankful it isnt snow.)

o

Checked the containers today.
I have 2 inch babies in the Cosmo bottle, with a few small leaves each.
In the Cherokee bottle, just dirt, but I think there may be 1 or 2 elbows peeking through.

I have several other containers that have sprouts in them, but none of the peppers and none of the tomatoes.

It rained here for 3 days (total over 7 inches of rain) and now its expected to drop below freezing for the next two days. should I leave the bottles where they are or move the ones with sprouts in them to the garage ? I have never WSown before so have no clue what to do.

Thanks

o

Missy-you could just throw blanket or tarp over the jugs that have sprouted. You could also bring them in the garage for a few days until the cold snap breaks. Wish I had those problems.....we still have lots of snow and my jugs are under it all. I predict another 6 weeks before I see anything in my jugs if I am lucky :) Good luck !!

o

Lilykit64- a blanket/tarp, wonderful idea. I just didnt know it that would defeat the purpose of winter sowing. LOL

o

Not at all !! I think this is straight from " Trudi" who is the queen of winter-sowing !! lol !! Not unusual to have to this for us in New England !!

o

On 2/16/13 noticed a sprout in the delphinium cup! It does look like a delphinium, doesn't it? Most nights recently about 40F and days about 55F. Only 2 nights at 30F but sprouts seemed fine in the cups with the heavy plastic bag over them.

o

Oh, congrats on your sprout. Until it gets the second leaves, which are very distinct, they all pretty much look the same to me. But look how perfectly centered it is between the sticks. It's probably your delphinium.

So jealous of all you southerners. :) It's cold up here in PA.

Caryl

o

Soooo excited about the first delph sprout for river crossroads. UGH !! Wish I could see my jugs. They are still buried but temps are rising and rain is coming. Love that rain !!!

o

Congrats on the sprouters! I had some Bacherlor's Buttons but they got bammed from the cold.

Lily, this experiment is really Kool!

o

Thanks caryltoo, lilykit and ladyrose!

Our summers are hot as Hades and our winters are so wet that freezing feels colder than it really is. 10 inches of rain last month, which is 2x normal. This is a pretty place to live but zone envy is only appropriate in nice weather!

The rain that is coming is supposed to bring “blinding downpours” so I am glad that my wintersowing is under a roof overhang for necessary protection in my climate.

I smile when I read of winter sowers who leave jugs on a patio table. Jugs would be gone in a flash around here with the strong winds and driving rain. Thanks for experiment, lilykit!

o

I guess every zone has its climate challenges, river, and I was in New Orleans a few years back in June when the temps were in the high 90s and the humidity was unbearable. I think my two girlfriends wondered why I chose it for our getaway -- it's so much nicer in Nov. or Feb.

A bunch of my jugs are on the patio table and I'm worried about them because of the winds we get, too. But our youngest dog likes to grab things and throw them around so until it's dry enough to carry them to the enclosed garden they're safer there.

o

Well, after this weekends snow/freezing rain event; the cosmos did not survive. The sprouts that were up, are now gone. So I am back to 4 containers without any sprouts showing.... I did not cover them or move them; out of curiousity .. and even last year after my cosmos had sprouted we had a freaky hail event, and either the pellets of hail destroyed the seedlings or the ice that made it into the containers froze them.

o

ldsluder..I feel really sad that your cosmos got hit by the cold :(
I have heard other WSers having same problems in your zone. Is it an unusual year with temps fluctuating in your area? Here in NH we are expecting another winter storm for the weekend. I hope they are wrong but the temps continue to stay low so I am expecting we'll get some more snow.
We actually had rain last night and I had the window open it was refreshing.
Now it is a frozen tundra out there and the wind is gusting. Don't have to worry about my jugs blowing away. They are frozen solid. Anybody have the # of days until Spring ???

o

Spring countdown banner

Hi Lilykit, here's the easy way, countdown banner counts it for you!

o

I took the blanket off of the containers on the table yesterday. To my surprise there are more sprouts in each container, including the Cherokee Tomatoes, though only a few in that one.

The cosmos are about 3-4 inches tall.

(side note, the sunflowers are almost 5 inches tall)

o

Hey lilikit,

It is not uncommon for frigid temps both in February and March. We don't get a lot of snow/freezing rain here, but it is more common lately to see it in February. I have more seeds, so will start some more in March; I was just curious to see how they would do in the containers without any other covering, etc. I still have over 100 other containers that have happy, healthy sprouts in them, and another 50 that are just waiting on the right time to stick their heads out! Plus I haven't even started on my vegetables/annuals yet, so I'm sure I'll be plenty busy this spring/summer. I'll keep you posted on the other seeds that had not sprouted in the container of cosmos, I have a feeling there might be a couple of seedlings I will get out of this container....

o

Evening Ladies and Gents,

I have 4 inch Sunflower seedlings, 5 inch Cosmos and several containers with 1-2 inch seedlings.

Should I be taking the top of the bottle/jug off for a few hours each day ?

Our days have been getting up to 55-70 lately especially when it isnt raining. With overnight lows of 36-45 with the occasional dip under 30 expected again this weekend.

o

Hi Missy, I usually don't open my containers until the weather is consistently warm. As long as they've got enough moisture I wouldn't worry about opening them yet, especially if you're still getting near freezing nights.

Caryl

o

Here it is March 1st and still no sprouts from what I sowed on Feb 2. I have a lot of other stuff sprouting and I only used new seeds from this year so it's a little hard to understand.
I guess Mother Nature is trying to teach me patience.

o

I have to coin the old phrase...A watched pot never boils !!! Or in our WS world....A watched jug never germinates...LOL. We're like kids at Christmas time. Just can't wait to open those containers and see some LIFE !!!

o

Barbe- I have several with not growth at all- mostly peppers and tomatoes- I too am trying to be patient and fingers crossed they sprout.

Lilykit- I perposely put my containers out of the way so I dont see them all the time and feel a need to check on them. I have a reminder on my phone to go check them every 3 days. Seems to be working, I am pleasantly surprised each time with at least on container with sprouts.

The neighbors look at me funny when they see me outside talking to my "empty' green soda bottles LOL. My husband tells them I have empty nest syndrome and have lost my mind.

o

No sprouts yet from the cosmos, delphs or tomato planted on Feb. 2, but I have a few tiny sprouts of leaf lettuce and kale that went out even earlier than that. Even the broccoli isn't peeking through yet. It's been a cold, wet winter here, especially compared to last year's very warm winter. Temps are supposed to go into the 50s this week so maybe those cole veggies will finally wake up.

Caryl

o

I finally got the first sprout from the February 2 experiment. The cosmos "Sensation" jug has one lone sprout. For some reason, those 3 jugs just aren't sprouting as soon as all the others I've sowed. Maybe something about a "watched pot", do you suppose?

o

I just had my first sprouts yesterday!...but, they were Agastache 'Golden Jubilee'. None from the experiment yet. Very excited about Golden Jubilee! Does any one out there grow this plant? What do you think about it?

o

I am still waiting. I have over 269 jugs planted and not a sprout. I also planted the golden agastache but I am not sure where it is in my sea o' jugs. It may still be buried under snow. Today was a gorgeous day with lots of sun and melting going on. I actually have a crocus blooming beside my house in one of my gardens that melts first every year. Gives me the hope I need to get through March :)

o

My test delphiniums sprouted today. That's 2 out of 3 jugs with sprouts. The tomatoes are all I'm waiting on now.

o

Gives me hope. I really hope I get germination on my Delphs. Besides the jug I planted on 2/2 I also planted at least a dozen others of differing varieties. Last year I had Zero luck but I think I planted them too late and maybe my seed was too old ?

o

Got a couple more sprouts Sunday -- strawflowers and quinoa of all things. Still no action from the delphs or cosmos, and it'll be awhile for the tomatoes I'm sure since they like it much warmer than it's been. I think the delph from last year, that I never planted out, is beginning to come back, but I'm not sure since I didn't label the four pots of perennials that didn't get transplanted. The leaves are the right shape, though.

o

Hello Everyone,

Todays bottle check was a good one - Cosmos are very tall and have 2 sets of real leaves on them, Cherokee Purple bottle has a few sprouts about 1/2 inch tall. I didn't do the delphs test.

When should I set out the Cosmos,?(beside the obvious after frost) I have never grow Cosmos so I have no Idea how big they should be to set out.

Thanks

o

Well, I got a cosmos sprout today, but still no signs of delphinium or tomato. I hope the delph seeds are still good. I had a few sprouts from it last year, so I'll continue to wait on them for awhile yet.

At this time of year I tend to check every day or so, and since I had no cosmos Sunday this one sprouted yesterday or today so about 38 days from planting.

o

I have cosmos sprouts here in Zone 5, east central Kansas, Kansas city area!!! That makes 15 jugs that have spouts now!! Spring truly is coming, and winter sowing is an amazing way to combat the winter blahs!

o

No sprouts in any of my milk jugs. I'm starting to worry that I won't get anything out of the milk jugs. I didn't plant a single thing indoors this year and prayed that I would get enough from WSing. I sat out a little over 60 milk jugs as "insurance" that I would get plants. We'll see!

o

• Posted by nan-6161 Zone 7 Long Island, (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 18:19

Please do not start worrying - - you will get sprouts unless every single one of you seeds was stored incorrectly or rots in the jugs because there were not enough drainage holes! It is very hard to read about others getting sprouts when you have NO BABIES, and you just can't help but feela tiny ibt envious, but they DO come. I have been WSing for many years now and I know it is particularly hard when others in my "zone" are planting out and I haven't seen a green sprout yet, but then I remember that even in the smae zone, things can be very different in terms of how the season plays out. Here on LI I have found that, while my sprouts come later they also STAY later (as plants) into the fall. I often have the ability to put bouquets togther way into the fall - October soemtimes, while others are on here talking about being doneby Labor day. so don't fret too much!

I have WS the golden agastache quite a bit and it is a wonderful plant to brighten a part sun/part shade area I have in my garden. It does not seem to be long lasting for me (a year or two) but then I will find seedlings in the area from the mother plant and start over.

o

Nan is so right that it's not time to start worrying. In six years I've never had total failure. Maybe a jug or two won't sprout and then it's usually either operator error or bad seeds. And zone is just a general term. Drippy, for example is zone 7 and she's in Alabama while I'm just barely zone 7 and am in southeastern PA and Nan is in Long Island. In between there are all kinds of variances in climate and weather. So relax. By the end of April you'll probably be wondering how you'll ever be able to plant out everything you've got.

o

Thanks for all the positive feedback. I just went over 70 milk jugs. I started putting peppers out. Bell, Romanian, Poblano, Banana, and some seed I got from a friend who has no idea what they are (L). I just sat out some Cosmos yesterday.
Just to be safe, I really over sowed what I actually need. I guess I'll sit in the front yard and sell extras (thinking positive!).

o

Finally, there are two sprouts of Cosmos which is the only test I did. The half-gallon jug I used was tipped over at one point and the potting soil was disturbed so I didn't know whether I would have any. An abundance of other sprouts are showing up in many other jugs.

o

These are my Cosmo babies. I cant reach the Cherokee Purple container. Will post a pic of it tomorrow when move the many containers in front of it.

o

Here we go again !! All my wintersowing is once again covered in snow. Seems like it will never end. Someone send me some Spring weather....please :)

o

We didn't get THAT much snow. Picture from this morning:

o

So jealous of all of you with sprouts but I'm glad mine stayed frozen. We are going to have another week with days in the 20's and nights in the teens. I would have lost them all last week when we had a warm spell if they had decided to wake up.

I guess warm weather will come eventually --- it always does.

o

Cosmos on the left and Cherokee Purple on the right.

I had to take the top off of both bottles, they plants were fighting to get out the little hole in the top. LOL

The small beds I have in the front yard are ready. I will be planting a few of the Cherokees in one with a few other veggies and the cosmos will be in the flower bed in front of the house with the Sun flowers.

I am a little nervous about hurting the plants when I remove them from the bottle and separate. They look like they have pretty good root systems on them. Any hints or tips ?

o

Gorgeous plants -- nothing like that here anytime soon.

I'd plant the tomatoes deep, up to the first leaves so they form even better roots -- they'll root all along the stem that's buried. And I wouldn't worry about pulling them apart, they'll be fine. But I'd do it soon. They do look a bit crowded and won't grow much more till they get some room.

No advice on cosmos since I've never transplanted. I'd be tempted to just tear the clump in two and plant as HOSes.

Have fun. I'm so jealous. :)

Caryl

o

Caryl - The toms are a bit crowded, probably 15 plants in that bottle. I had never WS before and wasn't sure how many seeds to plant.

It wont be a problem to plant deep in one garden, the other will take a bit of work (lots of hard red clay under that bed)

HOSes ? acronym I am not familiar with, LOL - I think I will end up making three clumps and giving one to each of my girls for their houses.

o

HOS is hunk of seedlings and it's just what it sounds like. I usually have to use that method with plants from very small seeds because it's so hard to sow them thinly and the result is a crowded container. Just tear them into clumps and let the seedlings fight it out in the garden.

The alternative is painstakingly separating each one and I don't have the patience for that.

o

Hey, the snow has melted and I can see my containers. Even knowing better, I still looked inside. LOL

o

mnwsgal: I had to laugh to myself because I did exactly that this morning! Knowing it's probably too early, I still couldn't resist peeking!Only one container germinated so far in the open garden up on the hill in the back yard, which was a flower mix ( some cheap seeds I picked up somewhere). I don't even know if they are annuals or perennials LOL....but the containers I had on my porch on the east side are all sprouted. Go figure!

o

The last of my test jugs sprouted yesterday - the Black Krim tomato. I don't think my summer will be long enough for it to produce ripe tomatoes, but at least it finally sprouted.

o

Well, my cosmos have been up for awhile, but I think the delph seeds were no good since neither the Feb. 2 container or the earlier one I put out have anything in them. And no cherokee purple or black krim here yet.

I thought I had a tomato sprout earlier, but it either disappeared or I was seeing things. Yesterday I finally had one for real - an Amish Paste -- but that's one out of something like 50 tomato seeds planted. Crossing my fingers that this spring isn't a complete tomato bust. I keep telling myself it's worked every other year, but it's getting hard now that the weather's warmed up.

o

Yippee, my first test jug sprouted today here in eastern Mass., and it's been a slow Spring this year!

I have 1 Cosmos Sensation sprout, hardy little bugger. This is only the 3rd container that has sprouted this year so far.

o

Don't toss your delphinium container. Last year I had one that didn't germinate until after a cool stretch in early fall and then temps warmed again and they popped up. If you do decide to dump the container do it in an area that won't be disturbed. There might be some surprises that fall or next spring.

o

No sprouts for me yet on our experiment seeds. I do have about 25 other jugs that have sprouted. Lupines, poppies, verbascum, sunflowers, scarlet flax, alyssum, bachelors buttons and cardoon...go figure !! I still have hope. It's been a long winter but I think the best is yet to come.

o

@Barbe, the last couple years my black krims, which aren't up here yet, went in kind of small in mid-may and had ripe tomatoes by early to mid-August, so you might get some. I hope you do because they've quickly become one of my favorite tomatoes.

We probably should have done something like an Anna Russian, which has a shorter DTM, for the experiment since there are a lot of zone 5s doing this.

@mnswgal, it's hard to keep hope alive on the delphs, but I'll try. Maybe I'll just stick the containers in a corner of the garden somewhere and see if anything happens, but the fact that there's nothing in 3 containers really has me questioning the seed quality, though i did get at least one from the same seed last year so who knows.

@lilykit, at least you've got some green to console you while you wait. Here's hoping spring is here at last. It was actually too hot here yesterday, almost 90. A storm blew through last night though and back to more normal 60s today. I was afraid we were going to have one of those years where it goes from the 40s to the 80s with no spring to speak of.

o

Finally! My Cherokee Purple just sprouted yesterday...it's about time. It's still too early to plant them out, but I would expect them to be fine in their container. I planted 3 seeds and I got 3 sprouts. I was beginning to wonder if they were ever going to do anything. We'v had plenty of relatively warm days.

o

My first Cherokee purple sprouted today (well technically now it's yesterday)!

This kind of surprises me because tomatoes are heat lovers, and the containers for this group experiment are out with the perennials and shrub seeds, get morning sun only and they're not sheltered from frost. Let's see if the container will protect them on cold nights?

o

MissyGA- re HOS
sometimes I pick the seedlings apart carefully, but mostly I plant them in bunches. It depends on what look you like.

My suggestion, either way - to disturb the roots as little as possible, and if use the HOS method, to keep as much dirt as the roots are in with them when you transplant. Of course if you separate the seedlings, you disturb them more, plus I usually don't have patience for this, but when I have done it, they seem to do just fine.

another alternative is sometimes I plant them out in a hunk, and divide them later, when their roots are stronger. that works too.

o

My cherokee purple finally sprouted Sunday. It's among the slowest of the tomatoes to sprout, which I find weird because it was in a container on the inside of the sea of jugs. And so far only one of four seeds is up.

Still no delphs, and the one I kept in a pot from last year has been up for weeks.

o

Black Krim has now germinated it looked like 3-days ago. No germ in the cosmos.

2 out of 3 ain't bad.

o

I have two cherry tomatoes sprouted, pink cosmos, but no delphs. Had a dog mishap with the Black Krim & Cherokee Purple. You can't put anything down for a second around here.

o

LOL. The dogs are why my jugs are on the patio table -- when they're on the ground the one grabs the handle and hauls it all over the yard, then I go around trying to salvage the clumps I find by putting them in an empty pot. A few gaillardias actually survived from late last summer, which is when I realized some plants I was keeping in jugs were disappearing. They'll go into their permanent home sometime soon. Now it's a matter of keeping the dogs out of the garden off the patio. They love to go in and sniff things and wind up trampling seedlings. Time to get the DH to fix the invisible fence and funnel the dogs to the back half-acre to play. :)

o

The Cosmos are blooming, I did manage to separate the 'clump' in to 9 smaller pods with 2-3 plants in each one.

The Cherokee Purples are about 24 inches tall and have the beginnings of flower buds on some of them.

I hope everyone's babies are coming alone as nicely.

o

You must be in full-blown summer weather already, Missy. Your cosmos look great. My cosmos (the few that survived having their container snatched by the dog and dragged around the yard) are about 3-4 inches tall. The Delphinium never did sprout. I think I planted black krim, and they're struggling, but the cherokee purple, sown around the same time, is already in the ground even though it's only a few inches tall. Seems to be doing great. The Delphinium never did sprout.

Caryl

o

The delphinium died? The cosmos never sprouted. The Black Krim is all that is left?

o

May 18 and nothing in any of my experiment containers. Only a few of my ws containers are sprouting, everything is very late here this year.

o

I planted delphiniums and cosmos for the experiment but neither jug sprouted. Planted more jugs of cosmos a month ago and those are almost ready to plant out. Think Feb was too early for my area.....

o

June 11 and nada, not a single sprout in any of these containers. We've had so many cold, cloudy, rainy days that only a few of my total containers have sprouted. I'm wondering if the seeds rotted. Even the self sown tomatoes in the ground are growing. Unless there is a big surprise when we ever get two days in a row of dry sunny warm weather this was a complete failure for me.
Won't post again unless something shows up. Maybe try again next year?

o

I ended up with 2 Cosmos Sensation sprouts, which was kind of stingy because they usually sprout more than that, and those were planted out about 2 weeks ago.

I also ended up with 3 small Cherokee purple tomato sprouts and I just planted those out a couple days ago, in a little HOS. Don't have enough room for too many tomato plants, got some Sungold, Carmello, and Ace 55 too.

o

I didn't do the experiment with all of you, but I was just reading through some of the recent posts. I think that colder regions can sometimes end up with rotted seeds if they are planted too early and spend too much time in the moist jugs un-germinated. And I think this year was especially bad in some areas because of all the rain and a prolonged, cool spring. Unless a seed needs cold stratification, I don't think there is any advantage to sowing earlier than a few weeks or a month before they would be expected to germinate normally.

Martha

o

I didn't do the experiment with all of you, but I was just reading through some of the recent posts. I think that colder regions can sometimes end up with rotted seeds if they are planted too early and spend too much time in the moist jugs un-germinated. And I think this year was especially bad in some areas because of all the rain and a prolonged, cool spring. Unless a seed needs cold stratification, I don't think there is any advantage to sowing earlier than a few weeks or a month before they would be expected to germinate normally.

Martha

o

I learned long ago not to sow things too early, Other then items that need strat, you can sow most items (especially annuals) in april for the most part.

I wouldn't bother wintersowing cosmos. Its a fairly easy direct sower.

(the items you want early is either the cold strat, or the cold hardy annuals (Im thinking lettuce , herbs , calendula, poppies, BBs even then a late march sowing here will do the job) Most of these can be planted out before the last frost dates, so get them going early!

when I first wintersowed, I did them in December, next year Jan, Then next Feb ect.. I learned fast that 100+ inches of ice and snow will just ruin milk jugs quickly. Just too much weight on them.

o

I usually sow in Feb. so I wasn't too worried about the Feb. 2 date. I don't think any of the seeds rotted because all of my tomatoes eventually came up as did just about everything else -- they just didn't thrive. As for doing the cosmos this way, the few that survived the dog are blooming while the ones I direct sowed are only about 8 inches high, so the wintersown ones did get a jumpstart.

Dark, damp days probably had as much to do with things sprouting then just lingering as anything. We had no significant snow and it wasn't even all that cold -- just gray and dreary and wet.

o

I've been ws for 7+ years and generally start my perennial seeds anytime after winter solstice though mostly in late January/February. Annuals get sown in late March/early April. Most everything sprouts by midMay.

I probably should have covered the jugs during some of those daily rains. With the changing weather patterns I will consider it a lesson learned and hope that we don't have another such spring for many years.

Some of the jugs were "second chance" jugs, seeds that didn't sprout last year and given a second sowing to see if they might another time. Perhaps those seeds would not have sprouted this year anyway.

A few of the old reliables sprouted, alcea, aquilegia, dianthus, papaver, penstemon, platycodyn. Annuals: antirrhinum, cleome, gomphrena, mirabalis, nasturtium, nicotiana, portulaca, salvia, and zinnia.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here