Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ralleia

Direct sowing in covered hoophouse

ralleia
12 years ago

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question.

I have a tall hoophouse (plastic covering steel supports) that creates a sheltered zone in my garden. On a sunny winter day like today, it's 34 degrees ambient, but close to 70 degrees (air temperature) in the hoophouse. The night air temperatures can get pretty close to ambient lows if the sun hasn't warmed the soil during the day.

A few days ago my daughter and I planted arugula, gai lan, carrots, beets, radish, spinach, kohlrabi, turnip greens, and edible crysanthemum, all directly into the soil. Anything in particular that should we do to help make sure that the seeds emerge at the a safe time? We have to water a little of course, since the area is covered and will have no precipitation.

Comments (8)

• trudi_d
    12 years ago

I think you'll be fine, make sure the hoop house is staked well. Also, you may want to add a thermometer to inside it and on days when it goes above 80 inside the hoop house you should vent it a bit so the air inside doesn't get too hot.

• ralleia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, trudi!

I actually have a remote temperature sensor installed there which reads out to my main bathroom. That way, I can check the temperature several times a day, and it also tracks the high temp and low temp (since reset), so that I can go out and open a door if necessary.

It's not so much the highs that I am concerned about (I can vent those away), but the low temps. It will be in the single-digit lows in the next few days, and Nebraska is known for negative degrees, too!

There are a few established Russia kale plants, parsley, onions, and overwintering perennials already growing in there.

Will I "fool" the seeds into germinating, and then freeze 'em to death? Or is it safe enough?

• donn_
    12 years ago

You can increase your night temperatures a little by keeping jugs of water inside. Find some that are dark-colored, and try to place them so they get maximum sunlight. The water will warm, and hold warmth longer than the air inside the hoophouse.

• trudi_d
    12 years ago

The seeds your daughter sowed are of plants that will tolerate very cold weather.

• hepatica_z7
    12 years ago

Sounds like a nice set-up. For germinating seeds of hardy plants, you don't have to worry, I would think. For stuff that is already growing, Eliot Coleman of Maine (forget the name of his book) found that remay directly over the plants inside the covered tunnels made a big difference at the coldest times. In a large hoop house you will need a LOT of water jugs. Maybe some big barrels? As close to the plants as possible. Let us know how you do.

We are eating lettuce all winter with just mini hoop houses from cracked clear plastic totes. (Cracked, because we use the whole ones for their intended purpose inside the house!) I do put water-filled milk jugs inside. This year I started coloring the water to increase heat gain on sunny days. I can't compare to other years though, as we are having a mild winter.

Hepatica

• ralleia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, Hepatica, Trudi and Donn!

Yes, I have two of Eliot's books (and another on the way since he enticed me with hints about his compost methods that use a little clay--that I have too much of).

Unless I can add an additional purpose to them, I am not going to add any water jugs since even at close to 500 sq ft, space is so precious in the hoophouse. There are already several six-gallon buckets that often contain water that provide a little bit of temperature moderation. I also have some agribon fabric that covers some of the existing plants--chard, radish and kale.

This year I'm going to get more organized with the secondary row covers and the watering systems though.

Right now I'm playing around with the idea of winter sowing some ascelpias for my monarch waystation!

• trudi_d
    12 years ago

Asclepias are nice, in zone five I think that the blood-flower would be iffy, you might germinate that indoors in late winter so you have enough time for it to bloom (as an annual) but all the hardiest perennials should do fine. The common orange one can take two to three years to bloom from seed, swamp milkweed and common milkweed should bloom second year. Any asclepias, and there are so many, are wonderful additions to a habitat garden, however some of them can be pesky reseeders so lob off their seed pods before they ripen, fluff and fly away to settle and sprout EVERYWHERE.

T

• ralleia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am bummed, bummed...

It's been almost two weeks now with no germination in the hoophouse. I woulda though that at least an arugula or a turnip would've poked its head up by now.

I started some turnip seeds indoors shortly after the outdoor sowing. They sprouted in two days, and then I moved the flat out to the hoophouse for the better light there. The seedlings are growing very slowly--almost in stasis.

Sorry--just being a wet blanket today. Had a small disaster with my new birdfeeder and that has me in a sorry mood.