Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when is winter in Minnesota?

Posted by zenpotter z4 MN (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 9, 12 at 14:41

I have been a winter sower for years but we have always had winter here in Minnesota. We don't this year. I don't know when to sow. It is sunny and 43 today. No one seems to know if and when we will have winter. Does anyone else from the not so cold North have any advice for me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when is winter in Minnesota?

Go ahead and start.
Our winters are just like what you're having now. We get a few days of below freezing, some ice and sometimes snow that's gone with in 24 hours.
Our nights usually go below freezing for Dec, Jan, and Feb. but not always.
Just be sure to put your containers somewhere shaded so the sun doesn't warm them too much.

o

Seems most of us are in that same boat this year, waiting for "real" winter. I sowed my first few jugs yesterday. It's 49 now, supposed to be 53 tomorrow, then days in the 30s for a while.

Some folks have sprouts, but they're farther south. Like Melvalvena, I don't think seeds will germinate this far north and at our temps. Just put them in shade.

If you have special seeds, very important to you, you could hold a few for later, just in case.

Karen

o

Pauline,
Winter arrived over night, or at least tempature wise it did. Going from 50+ a few days ago to 8 degrees this morning (-15 windchill). Now to get a bit of snow to make it look like winter here.
Sandy

o

I've lived in MN my whole life - trust me, winter will come! Last year, I didn't start winter sowing until Feb. I will be waiting this year too. To be honest, I think my seeds did better when I waited until Feb, rather than sowing in Dec/Jan. You have plenty of time! I would recommend waiting until the temps stay below freezing. Otherwise, sprouts could start popping... and then you'll be in trouble when it does get below freezing. Good luck!!

Amy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here