Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aklinda

Let 2012 be a year of peace, love and flowers

aklinda
12 years ago

That's the message I saw on a store sign as I was driving around town looking for potting soil today. I am definitely doing my part - I did find some potting soil and am starting today on the 300 cups I am going to winter sow this year. I haven't started one plant yet but am already visualizing where I want to put each one in the garden. Now I am just waiting for the potting soil fairy to come along and haul those bags into the house for me.....

Comments (14)

• bakemom_gw
    12 years ago

winter sowed meadow rue from seeds from my own plant. Very peaceful pink flowers that look great in my woodland.

• donn_
    12 years ago

The key to "Peace, Love and Flowers" this year will be to avoid TV and Internet news sources like the plague!

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

donn_ - Amen! The key this year will be to focus on peace, love & flowers while shuttting out the psycho-babble spewed on TV, radio & other media. I plan to downsize, donate & simplify. I didn't survive the 60's for nuthin'!

P. S. Don't look for me on facebook

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

I'm not on Facebook either. I will be donating a lot to salvation army.

• fixerupperinnh
    12 years ago

No facebook here either. I have enough (computer related) addictions already. That would be the last thing I need.
    Peace love and flowers sounds great. I have to work on peace in my house. The kids have declared war on each other.
    Love I've got, and flowers too. But there will always be room for more of both.

• bookjunky4life
    12 years ago

I love my facebook. Its basically my gardening and other projects/hobibes blog though. My friends and family are probably tired of all the photos of WS jugs, house remodeling, my animals, etc.

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

I joined facebook some time ago. Suddenly the world wanted to be my friend. My inbox was full of strangers who wanted to friend me. People started sending me virtual flowers and farms and... I ran home.

No more facebook for me, I had enough, and fast.

I've belonged to this forum for a long time, and I belong to uh.. you know... Dave's new garden? too. It's already a lot of online time without facebook.

Karen

• donn_
    12 years ago

I'm with you, Karen. FacePlace ain't for me. I must get a dozen spam emails a day, from people I don't know, inviting me to their FacePlace page, for all sorts of dubious activities. One of them has been sending these emails every day for 2 years.

I use the internet for a lot of things, but not for social things. I think I'll start an Anti-Social Networking website. I'll call it SpaceSpace, and every page will be blank!

• trudi_d
    12 years ago

Donn,

We have lots of dubious activities at Winter Sowers Group on FB, very dubious indeed ;-)

The internet has exploded with forums and info sharing. FB was nicer when it was less complex and didn't make my head spin, but I wasn't born into the Age of Communication so I have to adapt and get used to it. Just got a smart phone and gawd, haven't set it all up yet but figuered out fast enough how to download Angry Birds, lol.

All of these various forums and media sites remind me that there's nothing nicer than going to the local diner and they know what you want to drink, where you want to sit, and what you usually want to eat. BUt sometimes it's nice to go someplace else. With forums and FB you realize that there are circles of the same faces at the various places, people do their circuits.

T

• terrene
    12 years ago

People on Facebook should be aware that any content posted to their Facebook pages, including video, photos, writings, etc. can be used by Facebook for any commercial purposes they choose. When you agree to their terms of service you grant them an unlimited license to use your material while it's posted, and for a "reasonable" period of time even after you delete it.

The same is essentially true for Gardenweb, Photobucket, and many other sites, however the nature of the content on Facebook is generally much more personal. I am a private person, even without the copyright issues I wouldn't put my personal life on display on Facebook.

• trudi_d
    12 years ago

Well, of course.

I remember once a long time ago, when I was studying leadership models, learning a very practical and (what seems) obvious piece of advice from a politician. He said "Don't do anything in your private life that you don't want people to know about in your public life." It's a great piece of wisdom to follow. Fortunately on FB there's delete, so you can remove your indiscretions once you're fury has passed, you can't do that here or at some other forums.

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

No, you just have to avoid making an a$$ of yourself in the first place, which is a much better scenario anyway.

Karen

• terrene
    12 years ago

Is there anybody out there who doesn't have skeletons in their closet? Or parts of their lives they prefer to remain private?

And delete on Facebook doesn't necessarily remove your indiscretions - not only will that content remain available to Facebook for a "reasonable" period of time (they don't specify what is reasonable) while it cycles through their backup system, but it may still be available if you've shared the content with others members.

• beatrice_outdoors
    12 years ago

I gave a number of containers away at our seasonal campground last year, instructing folks on where/how to plant and what to look for (so they do not mow them over in the spring). People thought I was a bit off when I walked up with plants, but I just kept saying, "Spread the love, baby!" The smiles were priceless; the kids LOVED it. I now have a small batch of folks looking forward to new plants this year.

I also did a handful of containers this year so I can do some guerilla gardening and beautify a few traffic islands I know need help.

DH calls it FacePlant. I'm from MA. Bill Belichick, coach of the NE Patriots, had an interview recently where he was asked about social media. His response- "I don't Twitter, I don't MyFace, I don't Yearbook." None for me, too, thank you.

My skeleton is named Boney Bob, from Wolfman Mac's Chiller Drive In. :)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville