Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetlady_gw

Pro-mix ??

sweetlady
12 years ago

Hi all, has anyone ever ordered Pro-Mix on line, and if so, where? I noticed there is a Pro-Mix BX and PGX, what is difference and which is better?

I live in Washington State and cannot seem to find a local distributor online.

Thanks in advance, sweetlady

Comments (7)

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

I've seen mention of Pro-Mix BX by several folks. I use Fafard brand professional growers mix which is the same as Pro-Mix. Fafard costs a dollar or so less than PM where I buy it. Both are readily available fairly close to where I live. You might try to see if you can find Fafard if you don't have any luck getting PM. Good luck!

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

As another WA resident - Fafard products are listed as being available at John Deere Landscaping in Tumwater, Woodinville, Everett. The closest I've ever found ProMix listed is Canby Oregon.

Ordering something as weighty as a bale of potting soil isn't something I'd do, Sweetlady. My own is the Cornell peat lite 'recipe' bagged for my community by a Mom/Pop nursery locally and sold under their own label - but Black Magic potting soil, Gardener and Bloome potting soil are fine too. I'd use MG before I'd send for a $40 bale of ProMix and pay to have it mailed to me :)

If you have an Ace Hdwr near, you might check and see if they would order in the ProMix for you at no additional shipping, but you have other products available to you that will do the job just fine.

• sweetlady
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the quick responses.

Gardenweed: I have looked for Fafard and no luck, I will probably go along with morz8 ideas.

Morz8: Believe me I did think of shipping cost:) I am close to Woodinville, I will check that out. If not I know Molbaks carry Gardener and Bloome and I also know about Black Magic but never tried that before. I will try one of these two and see how it works.

Thanks again, Sweetlady

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

Lucky you, close to Molbaks :) I used to get there once or twice a year but not as often lately (about 125 miles one way). In fact, the last time I was there was July, 2 years ago, when we were having one of those odd weather events where temps topped 100.

We were literally ill trying to shop in Molbaks - something about that roof and heat retention. The plants inside were totally drooped, staff soaking wet like they'd been working out, and they were passing out complimentary bottles of water to customers trying to encourage them to stay and spend something :) DH thought I'd lost my mind, went outside and sat under a tree.

But surely with all they have to offer, if John Deere doesn't have the Fafard, Molbaks would have a suitable potting mix.

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

I bought Pro Mix from a local nursery. I got bad bags. The mix was like sand. I'm using MG. I have yet to find Fafard's potting mix.

• sweetlady
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Morz8: Funny story. Believe it or not in the summer I go to Molbaks at least every other week, I live about 30-minutes or less from them. I just go there to browse, relax, get ideas, get advise :). I think their regular prices are a tad high for my budget. Now that I am Wsowing I do not have to worry about that. Yea WS.

Ladyrose65: This will be my 3rd year WSowing and I have always used MG. I think I might have gotten a bad bag of MG last year, that is the reason for the change.

• oliveoyl3
    12 years ago

I'm another WA resident & live SE of Seattle.

You can purchase bulk potting soil in Kent 253-854-5692 at Carpinitos for a lot less money than bags if you can store & use up that much of it. For 1 cubic yard you'd save $100 as compared to Miracle Grow from Home Depot's biggest bag.

Per cubic yard = 27 cu ft
    North Country brand $36.95
    Pro Greenhouse Mix $49.95

Staff eyeballs the load in your truck. I was thinking about seeing if I could load it up in lidded garbage cans there instead of loose, so when I drive home it stays put.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!