Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this a disaster? Miracle Grow Moisture Control

Posted by emcd124 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 20, 12 at 15:35

I am all excited to finally start WSing, seeds laid out and planned, containers washed and sterilized, milk jugs cut in half. Yesterday while out at Sams Club I saw that they had big bags of potting soil for $11, and thought: yippeee! now I can get officially started.

But today while googling around on WSing, I came across a few folks who said absolutely never to use the Miracle Grow Moisture Control potting mix for WSing. How big a deal is this? Do I need to lug the double bag back across town in the snow-storm? (or, being less dramatic: Just delay gratification and try to exchange it next week)?

we dont seem to have this promix people talk about around here, or at least it isnt showing up in searches of lowes or home depot. And it seems crazy expensive on amazon.

Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this a disaster? Miracle Grow Moisture Control

No worries... I used it last year when I ws'd 1500 containers! Last spring was an EXTREMELY wet year and while I do feel some of my seeds rotted, I had AWESOME success! Tons of germination! I too bought mine from Sams so I'm sure it's the same stuff.

Happy sowing!
Jodie

o

I have used it too with no problem - I live in a dry desert climate in zone 7b. Since I sow in styrofoam cups it made a real difference once things warmed up around here - normally those small containers dry out pretty quick.

o

I also used it with no problems! Use it up!
Joann

o

I use it. But I prefer the non-moisture. The problem with the mixture in my opinion, is it's too heavy. I had to mix each of my batches with per-lite and vermiculite to make it lighter and the water to drain more readily. Just test your drainage first. If it's good then all is well.

o

I use it for everything, and I have great results.

Martha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here