Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much condensation is good?

Posted by COgardener2675 5/CO (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 10, 12 at 15:40

This is my fist year WS'ing and I'm doing milk jugs, 2 ltr bottles and some lagasna trays.

I have alot of condensation on the trays, but almost none on the jugs and bottles. Do I have too many drainage holes? Not enough air holes? Or am I just being paranoid? I'm trying to trust Mother Nature, but I am a bit nervous.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much condensation is good?

If they're frozen it's hard to tell, when they thaw out you should see some humidity under flat-top containers. Milk jugs and bottles are shaped like flues and the air vents cleanly up and out. With these types of containers you can detect dry soil by its appearance. Dry soil is much lighter in color than moist soil--think about brownie mix, when you haven't added the eggs yet it's still very powdery brown/tan, but when it's moist it is darker in color. Also, a moistened block of soil which has dried out will condense, you can see that it has pulled away from the walls of the bottle. And thirdly, water equals weight--dry flats don't way a lot, they're quite light in comparison to others.

Hope this helps.

Trudi

o

Thanks Trudi ... that makes sense on the jugs vs flat tops. I'll keep an eye on the soil color.

o

One of my fave ways to water a container is to use a soda or water bottle and tilt the dry container to "Tower of Pisa" angle and then gently, slowly dribble in the water, letting it run down the inside wall of the dry container. This way I don't splash the seeds out with a downpour of water.

T

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here