Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
winter sow bearded iris seeds

Posted by gibsongirl74 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 20, 14 at 16:10

Has anyone tried to winter sow bearded iris seeds? If so, how did it go? thanks, lisa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: winter sow bearded iris seeds

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 20, 14 at 20:03

Lisa, I haven't sown the bearded, but three other types more than once and have good germination. (foetidissima, chrysographes- my favorite, & sibirica)

What I've found, if I give them a soak of a few hours (not usually necessary for winter sown seeds), sow and leave inside for 2-4 weeks as is suggested for almost all Iris on the Clothiers site, then put them outside in the cold, most of the seeds will germinate in Spring. Keep in mind this is a mild wet Z8 and we have many, many rainy weeks of cool weather well into Spring.

The times I've straight winter sown them and started with cold in Dec or Jan, germination has taken place very sporadically for almost a year, a seed here, then a few weeks later another, about the time I decide to give up on the rest yet another pops up...so I'm hanging onto that seed pot for many months and keeping it watered over summer.

I don't know for sure if the same is true for the bearded types but I don't sow iris any more without keeping the seeds moist and sown at room temp for at least two weeks before exposing to the chill of outside.

o
RE: winter sow bearded iris seeds

I winter-sow the Japanese (Ensata) iris every year and have fairly good germination. Sometimes they take an extra month to germinate though. I love them because the foliage stays beautiful all season. The blooms are short lived though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here