Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hibiscusfan

Cleaning last years containers/

How do you clean your plastic containers from last year?

Comments (12)

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

warm water w/bleach and Palmolive.

• vajeff
    11 years ago

I wash mine in a large plastic storage container. First, a good rinsing to remove dirt and debris with either the jet setting on the shower or the water hose (if it's not too cold out). Afterwards, a washing with dish detergent, then a thorough rinse. Next, a soaking in a 10% (usually a little higher, but not by too much) bleach/water solution for an hour or so. Finally, another thorough rinsing before allowing to air dry.

• terrene
    11 years ago

I wash mine very similarly to Vajeff, but don't fuss with soap or bleach. I clean the containers out in the summer or fall (before it gets too cold). Let them soak for a bit in the lawn in a plastic container, then scrub with a bottle brush, and spray them with the nozzle sprayer. Then, dry them thoroughly in the sun (the sun has a natural anti-microbial effect).

No problems so far.

I use a lot of 2 LTR bottles because the plastic is very durable on these. I've been re-using some for 5 years! I also use assorted cups, and salad boxes. Milk jugs are excellent but the plastic gets brittle after a year or 2. Here are some containers drying from 2010 -
    {{gwi:350337}}

• lizbest1
    11 years ago

Terrene,
    I notice your soda bottles are cut completely in half, do you just tape them shut to sow in? I tried them last year but left a bit attached and taped the opening, was a bit awkward to fill and get seedlings out of--if cutting in half and taping works for you I'm trying that this year!

• ryseryse_2004
    11 years ago

I toss the milk jugs and clean everything else with just water after planting. I have never used soap or bleach on any pots and have been gardening for 50 years. I think the worry over disease and fungus over-wintering in pots is unnecessary.

How do you cut those soda bottles in half so perfectly?

• terrene
    11 years ago

Hi Lizin, I have tried different techniques with the 2 LTR bottles, making a "hinge", using tape, etc.

Now I cut completely in half and cut a slit or two up the side of the TOP half. You can also make a very long V shape up the side. The slit(s) is about 1.5 inches. Then, you actually slide the top half over the bottom half of the 2 ltr. They fit so snugly, you can even lift the bottle by the neck! No need for tape or anything. Also it is easy to take the top half off once the weather warms up.

Some WS plants have even over-wintered in their 2 LTR bottle, because I never got around to planting them out (that happens a lot when you have so many seedlings you don't know what to do with). I'm embarassed to say, more than 1 winter even! Got a few WS seedlings overwintering this year too.

This post was edited by terrene on Sun, Jan 6, 13 at 12:18

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

I always use new containers. When I plant out in spring everything goes into the recycling and I start collecting more milk jugs.

Terrene, I do the same with soda bottles. I don't use a lot, but I have found the slit thing to be much easier than a hinge on the soda bottles, and I also like the fact that the slit method allows you to make the bottle shorter, so it is less likely to fall over or get blown over.

I also have overwintered "seedlings" in their containers.... and I also have done so for more than one season! Geez, I think I had a milk jug of columbines that went into the garage three winters in a row! I think I finally planted them the next spring because the jug just finally disintegrated, lol...

Dee

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    11 years ago

I use all new containers every year, and my new neighbor has two youngish kids so lots of milk jugs. :)

As for the 2-liters, I just cut them in half and shove the top over the bottom till it's snug. As mentioned above, it makes them easy to pick up and move.

Caryl

• terrene
    11 years ago

Ryse, just saw your question about cutting in half. It may look that way, but mine are NOT cut perfectly, I use the knife blade on my Swiss army knife, or an exacto blade and it's a slightly rough cut around. Using a blade or knife is dangerous so be careful! But you can make a cut and then use scissors to cut the rest of the way around, and that works pretty well and isn't as hazardous.

Heck one of the reasons I re-use the bottles for so many years is because I don't want to prep all those containers each year.

There was poster on the forum a few years back named Token, and he used a band saw to make perfect cuts on his 2 LTRs.

• plantmasterm
    11 years ago

Hey guys, I use 2 lb fruit containers have any of you ever tried them..they already have a hinge and the holes in the container..they give you more planting space and your plantings are a lot easier to remove..I will post a picture later today to show you.

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    11 years ago

I used the 2-lb fruit container once and found that it dried out too fast. It was the only one I had to water. That said, the plants did sprout and grow, so it worked.

Caryl

• ptp813
    11 years ago

I reuse my 2 liter bottles every year and just rinse them out. When I prepare new ones I use an old kitchen knife and put it in the flame of a candle to create the holes in the bottom and to make a decent sized hole on the side. Then I can put the point of the scissors in and cut the remainder of the top off with the scissors. I also cut slits in the side to create flaps and that has worked best for me.
    Pam

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler