Coreopsis grandiflora "Early Sunrise"

Verbascum "Southern Charm"

Veronica Hybrida "Blue Bouquet"

Veronica Longifolia blue

Columbine "Rose Barlow"

Columbine "pink and white origami"

Liatris spicata Floristan "Purple"

Liatris spicata Floristan "white"

I know I am going to end up sowing more then I have room to plant, not sure what I'll do then. Maybe give them to neighbors, which would be nice, then I could still watch them grow from afar.

What have other's in zone 5 winter sowed so far?

Linda

Comments (88)

• medontdo
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

i'm so ready to sow much more!! but i need so many more containers!! and unfrozen uncontaminaited "clean" dirt LOL if that makes sense!! although i did think about how that one lady said and pour hot water over the soil to kill any seeds that would be weeds. BUT na!! LOL i'd rather just go buy huge bags of it at lowes or something!! i think NEED MORE DIRT!!! LOL :'>> oh ya and NEED MORE CONTAINERS!!! :'))

• rosepedal
    16 years ago

Lindama,
    I sent you a email through GW. Let me know if you get it. Barb Michelle your seeds went out today. Yipee Yahoo Now you need more containers. LOL

• medontdo
    16 years ago

your too awesome barb!!! LOL THANKS!!! :'))

• gardenstrail
    16 years ago

I'm a newbie here and with WS, wow and I have garden for many years

When I first read about this "new to me" Winter Sowing I thought , It's the kind of people that take a nip in the lake in the middle of winter types. Well I'm jumpin in with ya all. This sounds way to much fun to pass up. I'm calling out for milk jugs to the family and friends, anything that could be used for a WS seeds.

I got to pick up my soil this weekend and start planting

Q/ would putting the milk jugs and others containers be better right on the ground or will a deck/porch that gets plenty of sun do as well too?

I use to be a zone 5b now they got me as zone 6 and I haven't even moved : /

thanks for all this inspiring post on WS, I love it
    tc

Here is a link that might be useful: Locust Trail Homestead

• gardenstrail
    16 years ago

Plz pay no attention to the last part of my post, the one where it say this link might be helpful. Thats my blog and its useless,lol. I think that was to be used for more important links, not my blog. I'm a newbie what can I say!!!!

• lblack61
    16 years ago

I went searching for this post so I could add my "two cents" rather than start another post of the same subject...
    I finally got my act together, entered what I've sown in Microsoft Excel. Here's the list:
    Cyclamen Miracle Mix Hybrid
    Campanula Pearl Mix (and Deep Blue)
    Rudbeckia "Autumn Colors"
    Campanula glomerata
    Campanula Carpatica
    Cantananche Carulea "Cupids Dart" Alba
    Baptisia Australis "Blue False Indigo"
    Delphinium "Pacific Giants"
    Prunus tomentosa
    Ligularia clivorum
    Ligularia vorobievii
    Tithonia "Mexican Sunflower"
    Hypericum olympicum "St Johns Wort-Olympic"
    Begenia cordifolia "Redstart" (Parks Seeds)
    Berberis species and hybrids mix "Barberry"
    Borage officinalis
    Asclepias purpurascens
    Asclepias "Milk Maid"
    Asclepias "Red Butterfly Weed"
    Calluna Vulgaris "Heather"
    Lunaria Biennis "Honesty/Money Plant"
    Pyrethrum "Painted Daisy"
    Physostegia virginiana "Obedience Plant" Crown of Snow
    Prunella "Pagoda"
    Alstroemeria
    Coreopsis "Early Sunrise"
    Lupine "Minarette Mix"
    Sage "Extrakta"
    Hypericum perforatum "St John's Wort Topas"
    Ascelpias "Red Swamp Milkweed"
    Bergenia Cordifolia (Chilterns)
    Cimicifuga Racemosa
    Scabiosa Ochroleuca
    Chervil
    Wild Parsley
    Chives
    Rosemary
    Bellis Perennis "Robella"
    Lupine "Blue Bonnet"
    Bellis Perennis "Tasso Red"
    Lupine "Russell's Hybrids"
    Foxglove "Mixed Colors"
    Foxglove "Ferrugin"

(For someone with full beds, I sure seem to be sowing a lot of perennials!!!!)

Linda

• carrie630
    16 years ago

So true, linda...

I am thinking we just LIKE sowing seeds... Because when I look at my containers I wonder where I am going to put all the stuff! Container gardening, here I come!

Carrie

• silverwind
    16 years ago

Linda: I noticed you're the only one (as far as I can tell) who has sown Scabiosa. Are all scabiosas fine to start early?

Minor rant: I am lousy at picking up the Latin nomenclature. Now I'm all irritated at many of the seed packs I've seen this year. The companies are putting the common names only, but in English and Spanish!! I can't find the latin *anywhere* on these packs, so I wind up even more lost than before.

Anyone: Am I good to try starting Hosta 'Elegans' this early? I'm completely unfamiliar with starting Hostas in general, and with Donn so busy I can't ask him (he's the only one I can think of atm that I KNOW has had lots of success with them, lol!).

Otherwise, I think I'm a little late to the party on many of these. Lettuce, mache, garlic chives... dianthus, delphinium, snapdragons and rudbeckia. Possibly Forget-me-nots, if I have container space.
    Still on my collection... I'm tossing many of the ones I used last year and trying a new tactic for cutting, and hopefully stealing my mother's Diet Pepsi bottles. ;)

• lblack61
    16 years ago

Carrie...yeah...I think that must be it. I'm still trying to figure out how this is going to be a year of me sowing less...
    Silverwind,
    I guess it's okay to start them this early. If not...oops!
    I think there are perennial and annual Scabiosas, but I can't even recall which the "o" is. It's out there anyway. And I put more out of 1 or 2 other types today.

Here's the list of what I've sown between last night and today:
    Summer Savory "Aromata"
    Candytuft "Giant Hyacinth"
    Oriental Poppy "Choir Boy"
    Oriental Poppy "Great Red"
    Agastache Purple Pigmy (one of three)
    Agastache Rupestins (two of three)
    Agastache "Apricot Sprite" (three of three)
    Catananche Caerulea (regular blue)
    Lobelia Cardinal Flower
    Scabiosa atropurpurea "Black and White" mix
    Grasses "Perennial Mix"
    Campanula pyramidalis "Steeple Bells"
    Aquilegia Columbine "Green Apples"
    Campanula Canterbury Bells
    Lychnis haageana "Molten Lava"
    Briza Maxima "Greater Quaking Grass"
    Aubretia "Red King"
    English Wallflower
    Aquilegia flabellata Columbine "Cameo Mix"
    Aquilegia Columbine "Woodside Variegata"
    Centrathus ruber Coccineus "Jupiter's Beard"
    Scabiosa (TM #1850, unknown type)
    Centaurea Cornflower "Blue Carpet"

• rosepedal
    16 years ago

Silverwind. I think with them being a perr it would be okay to start the hosta seed now. Thanks for bringing it up. I have some seed I am going to put out today so we will learn together.
    Lblack your Aquilegia Columbine "Woodside Variegata That will be a beuty. Lucky you..... I think this will be interesting come planting time. All these containers to be planted. Is anybody tired of the snow yet. There is 18" or more on the ground here. I wish it would melt.....barb

• lblack61
    16 years ago

Barb,
    As long as the snow doesn't FALL every day, I'm not tired of it. We need to have those breaks in-between where it is a good driving day on the roads. I'm so happy for the insulation of my plants. Already, I fear the freeze after the thaw may have killed off my snapdragons which were, up to that point, very much alive and green.
    In two days, the snow went from this:
    {{gwi:350607}}
    To this:
    {{gwi:350608}}
    I'm starting to appreciate what snow really does. If I didnt' start gardening, I'm sure I would still be despising it.
    Now, to snowshoe out to the raised bed to pull some carrots...

Linda

• LindaMA
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I thought we had seen the end of the snow here in the northwest part of MA, at least for a week of two, but once again, it's snowing and has been since I woke up this morning, probably about 4 hours ago!

Does this mean I will not be winter sowing today, wrong. I have some centurion sky blue Delphiniums, calling my name as I type and I can't let them down now, can I. :)

On the bright side, there's just a little over 6 weeks until Spring!

~Linda

• rosepedal
    16 years ago

Lol lindaB Your yard looks like mine. I have to drive in it too. I live in the boonies about 40 miles to work one way. YUK.... That is good about the insulation for our babies.

Thanks lindaama. I need the positive reinforcement 6 more weeks ahh Spring that sounds wonderful. Here is my list for this week. You guys have me hooked. Anybody need seeds ? I have a lot left after ws. Just let me know.....

Baptisa white, yellow and blue
    Bellis monstrosa
    Catalpa tree
    Clematis stans mix
    Clematis Festoon collection
    Clematis Blue bell
    Clematis sweet autumn
    Coreopsis Tinctoria
    Echinacea Bravada
    Dwarf variegated miscanthus possibly morning light
    Rudbeckia triloba
    Rudbeckia cherokee sunset
    Rudbeckia Autumn colors
    Geranium Hardy mix
    Geranium Phaeum lilly lowell
    Geranium White cransbill
    Geranium pratense
    Geranium Pink cranesbill
    Ruby silk grass
    Bunny tail grass
    Limelight millet
    Helenium Autumn lollypop
    Larkspur
    Mexican hat
    Stokes aster yellow
    Penstemon red huskers
    Penstemon white
    Primula japonica

Barb

• rosepedal
    16 years ago

Anybody have any agastache's they would like to trade/share. That is one I dont have any of... Hmm

• highalttransplant
    16 years ago

Rosepedal, I just traded away, and WS the last of my Agastache 'Apache Sunset', so I'm afraid I can't help you on that one. Last year, I WS Agastache rupestris that I purchased from Park's, twice with zero germination. I'm hoping that I have better luck with this seed that I harvested from my own plants. Hopefully, someone else will have some to offer you.

Bonnie

• LindaMA
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hmm, Penstemon is one plant that I've had my eye on and don't have any seeds for, it's so pretty too! I would love to try Penstemon mystica, I believe this is the one with the dark stems and leaves, has anyone grown this variety?

Barb, I have to drive 40 miles each way to work everyday too, it's very painful with the price of gas these days. What gets me through the long ride are audio books, they're my new best friend, next to winter sowing of course.

Linda

• lblack61
    16 years ago

Rosepedal,
    I have some Agastache foeniculum (don't know if I spelled that right) somewhere that I plucked during the thaw. If you'd like some I can dig it out and send it to you (it reseeds with a vengeance, but the bees absolutely love them).
    Linda,
    I have Penstemon "Husker Red" seeds if you are interested. I WSed Rocky Mount last year, but it is still in the WS container as it was very very small by the end of Fall.

Linda

• rosepedal
    16 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    Linda Black that would be wonderful. I can send you something also. I took a look at your want list. I dont have anything on it. What else do you like..... I will email you. Same here on the penstemon only red huskers and a white. It was so nice here today. It made it to the forties after all that deep freeze we have been in.

Lindama That is a great idea. Audio books. Libary is not far from us either. Our town we have one church one bar and a small store. LOL I moved here to get away from it all wow did I.....Bonnie thanks anyways I am always a day late or usually a dollar short. hahaa Barb

• rosepedal
    16 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    I just received some awesome seeds from the theme garden RR (smile). I have a question.... Will the plastic gallon baggie method work with all the snow we all get in our climate? Has anyone tried it? Any advice? Thanks Barb

• caterwallin
    16 years ago

Since others have typed their lists here, I'll also put mine here. I love looking at other people's lists! This is what I've wintersown this year (started the beginning of December, I believe, maybe even late November):

Purple Coneflower (already have but they're such a great butterfly attractant that I wanted more of them)
    Blanket Flower - 'Goblin'
    False Blue Indigo (Baptisia australis)
    Evening Primrose
    Mexican Hat
    Turlehead (Chelone glabra)
    Turtlehead (Chelone lyonii)
    Liatris spicata
    Liatris punctata
    Ironweed (Vernonia)
    Blue Veronica
    Beauty Berry
    New England Aster
    Smooth Blue Aster
    Wild Lupine (Lupinus perennis)
    Gas Plant (Dictamnus albus) 'Rubra'
    Gas Plant (white)
    Russell Lupine
    Foxglove - (Digitalis purpurea) 'Excelsior'
    Cardinal Flower (Lobelia cardinalis)
    Delphinium 'Butterfly Blend'
    Foxglove - mixed
    Foxglove - 'Dwarf Foxy'
    Lavender (Lavendula verea)
    Salvia 'Blue Bedder'
    Blue vervain (Verbena bonariensis)
    Blue vervain (Verbena hastata)
    Broad Leaf Sage
    Dutchman's Pipevine
    New Jersey Tea
    Wafer Ash (Ptelea trifoliata)
    Sassafras

My containers for each type of plant varies from 1-4, depending on how many seeds I had. I quit after four (because I'm sure that's more than enough!) and shared them with people. I have to look up the lasagna method because there's no way I'm digging new beds again this year like I did last year. Now I just hope that these will have a wide range of times when they're ready to be put in the ground. If they're all ready, say the beginning of May, I'll be scrambling. This has been a lot of fun planting such a wide variety of plants, and I don't think I could have pulled it off if not for the wintersowing method. I guess I could have, but we'd have had to put a HUGE addition onto the house and probably tripled its size. lol

• laurelin
    16 years ago

I finally got started on my sowing last week. I blitzed through all my containers, so I'm on hiatus until I can build up a bit of a stash to work with. I've got my sister saving milk jugs for me too. Drink more milk!

peonies (seed from my yard, ws last October, since they need a long warm/cold/warm cycle - we'll see how they do)
    Digitalis 'Elsie Kelsey'
    dicentra eximia
    viola 'Helen Mount'
    pansy 'Blue Denim'
    redbud (from a tree near my house)
    echinacea 'Ruby Star'
    white nicotiana ('Fragrant Cloud,' from back yard 2007)
    bergenia mix (from trade)
    alpine strawberry 'Ruegen'
    hickory (from a favorite park)
    'Oklahoma' redbud (marginally hardy z. 5)
    Kentucky coffee tree
    dianthus 'Siberian Blues'
    aralia spinosa ('Devil's Walking Stick,' small tree)
    buddleia (purple)
    sweet annie
    viola tricolor
    phlox drummondi mix
    amaranth 'Hot Biscuits'
    alyssum 'Royal Robe'

I WSd hosta last year. They germinated well, and showed some color early. A friend who grows them told me that fresh seed (current year) is best, and should be refrigerated at harvest for best results. Still, it's worth using the seed you have. Nothing ventured, nothing gained:
    {{gwi:350609}}
    {{gwi:350715}}

Laurel

• rosepedal
    16 years ago

I wanted to share these with you too. After one year and a lot of hard work I got to officially start up my 10 x 12 gh for the first time today. I am so happy I cant stand it. Here are some pictures of my new toy.

{{gwi:290421}}

{{gwi:290423}}

{{gwi:290424}}

{{gwi:290425}}

Ohh happy day in WI. Barb

• highalttransplant
    16 years ago

Congratulations on your greenhouse, Barb! I wish I had somewhere to put one of those.

Today I sowed:

Alyssum 'Golden Queen'
    Alyssum 'Apricot Shades'
    Dianthus 'Ideal Select Red' (these were harvested from my garden, but it's a hybrid, so I'm not sure what I'll get)
    Broccoli 'Purple Sprouting'
    Marjoram

Time to prep some more containers.

Bonnie

• terrene
    16 years ago

Your greenhouse looks terrific! Looks like a really nice place to hang out and grow stuff! :)

I did my 2nd batch of winter sowing yesterday. 21 containers, mostly perennials, all seeds that require cold stratification. I'm going to wait until late March/early April to sow lotsa annuals and a few veggies.

This batch contained all native species:

Asclepias purpurenscens (Purple milkweed)
    Baptisia australis (False blue indigo)
    Baptisia leucantha (White indigo)
    Phlox - paniculata, maculata, and divaricata
    Oenothera macrocarpa (Missouri Evening primrose)
    Eupatorium - coelestinum & rugosum (Blue mist flower & White Snakeroot)
    Liatris pycnostachya (Prairie blazing star)
    Monarda bradburiana (Bradbury's Monarda)
    Clematis virginiana (Virgin's bower, similar to Sweet Autumn clematis)

• gardenluv
    16 years ago

Since I last posted on here, I have sowed:
    Irish Eyes Rudbeckia
    Columbine- Nora Barlow
    Sonora Rudbeckia
    Early Sunrise Coreopsis
    White Crazy Daisy
    Dahlia- Unwin's Dwarf mix
    Oregano
    Columbine-Dragonfly Hybrids
    Forget-Me-Not, Blue Bird
    Job's Tears
    Achillea- Summer Pastels
    Rudbeckia- Cherokee Sunset
    Agastache- Honey Bee Blue

• LindaMA
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh Barb, that greenhouse is fantastic, I am so jealous. Can I come over and plunk down some of my containers in your new greenhouse? *LOL*

Have fun and enjoy your new toy!

Linda

• rosepedal
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone for the very nice comments. Come on over linda. When I start my annuals Im not sure how much room will be left. Lol

Between ws and the gh my head hurts trying to keep up with what seeds I did with what. I am not complaining. I went out there and I have my first flower on a succulent. How kool in the beginning of febuary. Yippee smile.... I am gonna do some more ws this weekend. I cant wait to see what comes up this spring. Barb

• micropropagator
    16 years ago

This week I bought 20 kinds of Veg seeds at Dollar General and will begin Wintersowing 2008 hoping to be done direct seeding in my raised beds by Valentine's Day. This email is to brag about my Febuary direct sown CARROTS and PARSNIPS 2007. Parsnips are very difficult to germinate. Some professional websites say only a few percent% of parsnip seeds germinate. So I planted 25 seeds every 12 inches and smoothed them into a 3 inch circle. only about 1/3 of the seeds got covered. I got about 25 plants in each disk. I think they were up first week of Maarch. All survived the 3 day freeze (72 hours)of first week of April. I did not get all of them thinned but all hills did OK. But now I will plant about 5 to 10 seeds per hill and space hills 12 by 12 inches and thin to 1 or 2 parsnips per hill. I get bulk seeds at Bunton Seeds Louisville.
    It looks like the widely published story that parsnip seeds are low germination is false. I believe they just need the freezing soaking of being direct sown in Feb-March in Sourth Indidna.
    Carrots did about the same, by wintersowing, the carrot stands were much more uniform.
    micropropagator
    2008 is my 72rd year of planting a garden

• mgmb
    16 years ago

Howdy, I just started this year's crop with 10 milk jugs (using better drain holes than last year and not taping around the entire midsection but using wire to hold it closed):
    Cupid's Dart
    Pepper Box Poppy
    Zinnia "Raggedy Anne"
    Chinese Lanterns (in celebration of Chinese New Year)
    Cosmos "Dancing Petticoats"
    Cosmos White Seashell
    Nicotiana - I forget the name - mix
    Nicotiana Sylvestris
    Nigella Mulberry -something
    Larkspur "Earl Grey"
    Any of you into biodynamic farming? I have a calendar that says this weekend is a "triple star" for above ground growth - it has to do with the new moon but some other planetary thing too. So get your seeds on!! Garden Expo is Madison this weekend also - good way to spend a snowy, blowy, cold day.

• mgmb
    16 years ago

Hi Barb - I just read your note about winter sowing in baggies in our zone. Granted, it was not as snowy last year, but I had tremendous success with the ziploc baggies, in fact better than the milk jugs - I think because I didn't cut large enough drain holes on the jugs and sealed the midsection up with tape - probably got too wet. Anyway I would say go for it, with the following practical tips:

1. Use 4-5 inches of soil to keep the bags open and have enough root zone so you can leave them in there as long as you need to (I transplanted many in mid May)
    2. When the baggies warm up, they sometimes fold over. To hold them upright, I bought some wood shishkabob skewers and stuck them in the corners (you can clip a clothespin on the skewer too) - then you can reuse your skewers in container pots, sharp side up sticking up and inch or so, to keep the squirrel-rats from digging.
    3. After it started to get pretty warm out I just cut off the tops of the baggies to give the seedlings more room because they were H-O-S crammed in there.
    4. Drainage: I folded the bag in half (opening side up), cut off the corners and folded side so there were 3 long "V" cuts in the bottom, then I made two more cuts for good measure. Soil spills out a little but this is better than just making slits.
    If I could figure out how to post some pictures in the message I would. Let me try to work on that!
    Good luck!!

• brandymulvaine
    16 years ago

Hello all. This is my first year wintersowing and here is my list so far(Started in early Feb)
    dianthus-microchips, plumarius, rainbow loveliness
    lavender-hidcote, munstead strain
    rudbeckia-irish eyes, hirta, prairie sun
    scabiosa caucasica
    canterbury bells
    strawflower(helichrysum bracteatum)
    cosmos bright lights
    english daisy(bellis perinnis)
    chinese forget me not
    hollyhock-summer carival mix, indian spring, russian yellow, black beauty, happy lights
    wheat(just for the fun of it) durum and black tip
    white mignonette(reseda alba)anyone have info on this?
    columbine william guinness
    canary grass
    prairie grass
    echinacia augustifolia
    asters(from down the road)
    painted daisy(chrysanthemum coccineum)
    honesty(lunaria biennis)
    verbenia bonariasis
    tithonia fiesta del sol
    bachelors button black ball
    oenothera-speciosa, innocence, sundrops
    wild flax
    penstemon-rondo mix, cambridge dwarf
    coreopsis early sunrise
    pansy mixed colors
    viola princess mix
    nicotiana indian peace pipe
    sweet annie(artemisia annual)
    ipomopsis hummingbird mix
    agastache sunset hyssop
    lychnis-maltese cross, rose campion
    jasione-never heard of this one

This list seems so big on paper(er screen)think it took me longer to type it than plant it! LOL! I kept trying to make it two columns! B

• highalttransplant
    16 years ago

Wow, Brandy! You have been busy! Last year was my first year to WS and I did less than 40, because I wasn't sure it would work. Now that my confidence is up, my goal this year is 100. I'm at 32 so far.

Here is what I sowed yesterday:

African daisy 'Buff Beauty'
    Amaranth 'Pygmy Torch'
    Calendula 'Pink Surprise'
    Calendula 'Zeolights'
    Cilantro
    Dill
    Lettuce 'Black Seeded Simpson'
    Lettuce 'Parris Island Cos'
    Summer Savory

I have a few hardy annuals left to sow, but I'm doing lots of warm season veggies and tender annuals, which I'll be waiting until closer to April to do.

Today, I stopped by Lowes', which I don't get to do often ( a bit of a drive ), and of course I HAD to buy 3 more packs of seeds. Plus, there's that order from Swallowtail coming that was part of my Valentine from my DH.

Somebody stop me ... please! Okay, not really, LOL.

Bonnie

• brandymulvaine
    16 years ago

No need to stop-its cheaper than therapy! That's my excuse when someone wonders why there's a box of dirt in my livingroom and a trashbag full of jugs(that no-one can put trash in)just sitting by the front door:-) B

• yodlei44
    16 years ago

Long time gardener, first time winter sower. Wish I could be on the computer more than I am. So much good info. Was off sick almost all week & was sick (no pun intended) of tripping over all the water & milk jugs, so plopped my butt on the kitchen floor & planted...

IN MILK & KITTY LITTER JUGS (26 of them):

Marigolds - Happy Days Red, Jaguar & Scarlet Starlet
    Evening Primrose (Oenothera missouriensis) Onagra
    Four O'Clocks - Kaleidoscope, Fantastic Fuschias & Red Glow
    Rudbeckia - Irish Eyes
    Blanket Flower - Red Plume
    Red Hot Poker (Tritoma) - Mix
    Delphinium - Giant Pacific 'Blue Bird'
    Gallardia - Sundance
    Columbine - Tequila Sunrise
    Monarda Lambada
    Shasta Daisy - Alaska
    Viola - Amber Kiss
    Pansy - Clear Crystals Black
    Iceland Poppy - Matador
    Snapdragon - Montego Deep Red
    Ipomopsis Rubra
    Daisy Fleabane
    Inula Orientalis (anyone grow this before?)
    Liatris Spicata
    Cleome - Purple Queen & Cherry Queen
    Penstemon barbatus - Iron Maiden
    Penstemon hartwegii - Scarlet
    Agastache - Apricot Sprite, Pink Pop & Sangria
    Lobelia - cardinalis & Great Blue
    Monkeyflower - Twinkle Red & Cardinalis
    Silkweed/White Indian Hemp (Asclepias incarnata)
    Flowering Woodland Tabacco/White Shooting Stars
    (Nicotiana sylvestris)
    Nicotiana langsdorfii - Lemon Tree
    Butterfly Weed (tuberosa)
    Salvia coccina - Lady in Red, Coral Nymph, Cherry Blossom &
    Hummingbird Mix
    Salvia azurea - Grandiflora
    Salvia farinacea/Mealy Cup Sage - Strata
    Lupine regalis - Morello Cherry
    Dianthus - Allwood's Fragrant Village Pinks
    Thitonia - Sundance & Torch
    Maltese Cross (Lychnis Chalcedonica)
    Borage officinalis
    Mammoth Basil (Ocimum basilicum)
    Sorrel Blood Veined
    Dahlia - Bishop's Children
    Texas Bluebonnets
    Stock - Evening Scented
    Zinnia (elegans) - Red Cap
    Coreopsis tinctoria - Dwarf Red Plains
    Cosmos - Sensation White, Radiance & Lady Bird Scarlet
    Royal Catchfly (Silene regia)

IN PEAT CUPS INSIDE GALLON FREEZER BAGS:

Verbena Bonariensis (also have box over this since said
    needed darkness to germinate?)
    Morning Glory - Crimson Rambler
    Canary Climber
    Ipomoea quamoclit - Cardinal Climber/Cypress Vine & Red
    Feather
    Ipomoea hederifolia - Scarlet Star
    Coral Vine
    Cross Vine - Tangerine Beauty
    Black Eyed Sue Vine - Orange, Superstar Orange & Bright Eyes
    Moonvine - Lavender

Will be starting: (Any of these not good for WS'g anytime??)
    Nasturtium - Empress of India
    Salvia spendens - Salsa Light Purple
    Cuphea miniata purpurea - Firefly
    Flora's Scarlet Paintbrush (Emilia coccinea)
    Love in a Mist
    Oriental Poppy - Brilliant Red
    Some lettuce, tomatos & peppers

Started inside (since didn't know if good to WS??):

Mina Lobata/Spanish Flag
    Hyacinth Bean
    Blue Clitoria Ternatea
    Passion Flower - Red Star
    Glory Vine

Many that I started in the gallon bags, I also started inside since not sure if good to WS?? I have many packs of Zinnias that I think I'll direct sow after reading some threads. Had difficulty with these inside. Anyone want to comment on any that I should or shouldn't have, feel free!

To keep from having plants out the wazoo, I cut up a few milk jugs & made a insert, similar to the inside of an ornament box, & planted 4 different types of flowers in 1 jug. We'll see how that works.

Joni

• rosepedal
    16 years ago

Impressive list yodlei44. You reminded me to ws my penstemon iron maiden. I am in WI..... This is what I have done today. By the way my long time gardener neighbor thinks I am goofy wintersowing. I hope she is wrong.....Smile

Plantago asiatica variegata
    Tricytris hirta
    Crocosmia lucifer
    Nigella
    Toad flax Flamenco
    Polygonatum biflorum Great solomans seal
    Foxglove pams choice
    Foxglove rose camelot
    Foxglove Monster purple
    Foxglove Grecian
    Foxglove Shirley
    Anemone Sylvestris Snowdrop windflower
    Butterfly bush Naho/harlequin
    Delf Blue mirror
    Viola cornuta mix
    Lobelia queen victoria I hope this work not my zone
    Lobelia cardinalis
    Dianthus Giganthus Giant pink
    Foxglove Mertonensis
    Salvia coccinea
    Salvia May night
    Ligularia the rocket
    Amsonia Blue star
    Apple of peru
    Columbine William guiness
    Anemone rose beuty
    Columbine Winky red and white
    Coral bells purple palace

And three flats of flowers for the gh.... Yipee Happy girl in WI and the snow is melting all 3 feet on the ground... Barb

• highalttransplant
    16 years ago

I just looked back over everyone's lists, and don't see any Petunias. Is this one of those things that it's best to wait until late March/early April for in zone 5?

I've never grown them from seed, and I have a couple of different types, but I don't want to start them too early, and then end up having to buy transplants this year.

Boy I wish my "last" seed order would hurry up and get here. I'm running out of things to sow until it's time to do the tender stuff.

Bonnie

• highalttransplant
    16 years ago

Ooops! I just thought of a few more that I'm unsure of when to sow - Gazania, Helichrysum 'Silver Mist', Alternanthera 'Purple Knight', Millet 'Jester', and annual Verbena 'Peaches and Creams'.

I thought I would wait until April for these, but if any of you guys have successfully sown them earlier, I'll go ahead and sow them now.

Thanks everyone, for all of your help!
    Bonnie

• gardenluv
    16 years ago

Gazania won't sprout until is is warm out, and thrives in hot weather so I am guessing it won't do well if it sprouts and you get a cold snap, but that is my guess. Not sure of the other ones.

• tosser
    16 years ago

Bonnie, petunias volunteer like mad around here, even in shade. I did several jugs of them a couple of weeks ago from seeds collected from last year's volunteers.

• gardenluv
    16 years ago

To update my list the new ones I have sown here are:
    Aquilegia- McKana Mix
    coreopsis
    dbl. decker coneflower- pink
    Cleome- pink
    Parsley Triple Curl
    snapdragons
    poppies- Shirley Single Mix
    Lady in Red Salvia
    Rudbeckia- Heirta Maya
    Red Poppy
    Heuchera- Dale's Strain
    Burgundy blanket flower
    Knautia

I am about 1/3 the way done with 44 containers done, about 80 more to go!

• LindaMA
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh my, I have some catching up to do, I've only winter sowed a few containers in the last couple of weeks, and they are:

Snapdragon "night and day"
    snapdragon "black prince"
    Dahlia "dwarf mixed colors"
    Yvonne's Salvia
    Beauty Bush (Thanks Barb!)
    Mirabilis "custard and cream"

Thanks it so far but have lots more to sow and little space to plant. :)

Linda

• yodlei44
    16 years ago

Barb...Your list ain't too shabby!! and...you only have 3 feet on the ground!!? From what I keep hearing on the Weather Channel, thought you would have more. ha ha Nice bright sun out this weekend, melting everything just in time for more snow to come. I've had enough of this winter!

I asked some questions but figured they might not be seen since my list was so long:

Anyone ever grow Inula Orientalis, seed or otherwise & how did it do?

I heard Verbena Bonariensis needs darkness but is good to WS. Any comments?

If my WS plants are anything like what I've started inside, I should have a good year. Stuff sprouting in 1 day!! So much for the "trouble with Jiffy Mix" comment I read somewhere.

Happy Planting,
    Joni

• highalttransplant
    16 years ago

Thanks, Tosser and Gardenluv! I'll go ahead with the Petunias, but hold off on the Gazania for now.

Joni, I've never grown the two you asked about, so I can't be of any help. BTW, I'm using Jiffy Mix this year too, so we'll see how it works compared to last years results.

I appreciate everyone's advice, and willingness to share their experiences in order to help the rest of us along!

Bonnie

• lblack61
    16 years ago

Wow! This thread is insane-- but fun :-)
    Barb, love that greenhouse...we're thinking of building one at some point-- after the garage, after putting in a driveway, after the new shed...

Lindama, sorry I didn't see your question about the Verbascum until now! Yes, it was Southern Charm. Love it!
    Okay, so here's my list of what I've sown since the last time I posted what I'd sown:
    Tomato- Cherry "Supersweet 100 VF HB"
    Tomato-Cherry "Sungold" HB
    Tomato- "Northern Delight"
    Tomato- "Mortgage Lifter"
    Tomato- "Cherokee"
    Leek "Musselburgh"
    Scallion "Ishikuro"
    Tomato- "Marmand"
    Beetroot "Chioggia"
    Salsify "Mammoth Sandwich Island"
    Rutabaga "American Purple Top"
    Chives (2nd container)
    Radish "Champion"
    Radish "China Rose"
    Radish "Easter Egg II"
    Dill "Dukat"
    Carrot "Nantes Coreless"
    Carrot "Long Imperator"
    Strawberries (Store bought produce)
    Blackberries (Storebought produce)
    Sweet William "Stokes Tall Mix"
    Sweet William "Single Flowered Mix"
    Sweet William "Black and White Minstrel"
    Siberian Wallflower
    Coneflower "Bravado"
    Chinese Lantern
    Salvia farinacea Blue-Violet "Victoria"
    Salvia farinacea White "Victoria"
    Alstroemeria "Ligtu HB"
    Alstroemeria "Dr Salter's HB"
    Salipglossis "Casino Mix"
    Salipglossis "Royal Chocolate HB"
    Salipglossis "Kew Blue"
    Carnations (Dianthus caryophyllus) Trailing Mix
    Malva "Mystic Merlin"
    Hollyhock "Summer Carnival Mix"
    Hollyhock "Nigra"
    Penstemon barbatus coccineus
    Alyssum saxatile "Golden Queen"
    Coreopsis Basilis
    Tansy
    Polyanthus "Gold Lace"
    Polyanthus "Dazzler Tagetes F1"
    Cleome "Color Fountains"- C. hassleriana
    Sweet Rocket (White)- Hesperis matronalis
    Clarkia unguiculata "Mountain Garland"
    Evening Primrose- Oenothera lamarckiana
    Scarlet Flax- Linum rubrus
    Crimson Clover - Trifolium
    Fried Eggs- Limanthes, regular yellow
    Fried Eggs "Sulphur Yellow"- Limanthes
    Pansy "Majestic Giants 2" Mix
    Pansy "Majestic Giants 2" Rosalyn
    Pansy "Majestic Giants 2" Blue and White
    Viola "Cuty"
    Viola "Bambini Mix"
    Pansy "Dynamite" Purple, Rose, White
    Pansy "Clear Sky" Mix
    Viola "Sorbet Purple Duet"
    Viola "Sunny Royale"
    Viola "Sorbet Yellow Frost"
    Pansy "Jolly Joker"
    Pansy "Skyline" White

Counting down...Petunias, Stocks, Snaps, BBs, Cauliflower...

Linda

• highalttransplant
    16 years ago

Hi, everyone!

Today I sowed:

Calendula 'Apricot Daisy'
    Petunia 'Flambe Salmon'
    Petunia 'Prism Sunshine Hyb.'
    Portulaca 'Sundial Cream'
    Portulaca 'Sundial Mango'
    Sage, Broadleaf
    Scabiosa 'Moon Dance'

Those Petunia and Portulaca seeds are ridiculously tiny! How do you guys deal with them? I think I poured the whole packet in one spot, LOL. Now those will be a HOS for sure!

Happy sowing,
    Bonnie

• patrushka
    16 years ago

Great thread!!! Fun to read.

This is my third year winter sowing and I love it. Here's my list so far.

Ligularia 'The Rocket'
    Amsonia
    Armeria
    Pennisetum orientale
    Lupine
    Campanula pyramidalis
    Hosta 'Komodo Dragon' (This is the first time I've winter
    sowed hostas. I love the idea of having them outside instead of inside.)
    Pardancanda norrisii
    Dianthus barbatos
    Helenium
    Yarrow
    Gaillardia
    Mexican Hat
    Lupine
    Blue Flax
    Platycodon
    Belamcanda chinensis
    Several different daylilies

Lots more to do but I ran out of soil. I was going to try mixing peat and perlite with the icky Hyponex soil that DH and DS bought by mistake but the bags are frozen to the driveway. LOL Maybe that's a good thing.

• brandymulvaine
    16 years ago

Joni, I have also heard about verbina bonariensis needing darkness to germ. I had forgotten about that and will have to go cover mine up!! If you search these treads someone had a real good one on verbena bonariensis awhile back. B

• bellarosa
    16 years ago

Hi everyone,
    I'm been gardening for over 10 years, but have never WS before. For the last two weekends, I've WS quite a few pots - probably around 50. The list is long!! Anyway, does anyone have any rose campion seeds (fuschia variety)? Let me know what seeds you are looking for to trade with.

Also, has anyone ever WS Laura Bush petunias?

Thanks

-Bellarosa

• terrene
    16 years ago

I sowed some more containers yesterday, several types of Rudbeckia and some hardy annuals and hopefully it's not too early. This is the first year WS and that makes a total of 65 containers for me.

Rudbeckia hirta 'Prairie Sun', 'Irish Eyes', 'Cappucino', and 'Gloriosa'
    Rudbeckia triloba
    Rudbeckia amplexicaulis
    Ratibida columnifera - Mexican hats
    Aster oblongifolius - Aromatic aster
    Aster laevis - Smooth blue aster
    Snapdragons 'Tall maximum blend'
    Snapdragons 'Black prince'
    Salvia coccinea 'Lady in Red'
    Salvia coccinea 'Coral nymph'
    Yvonne's Salvia!

Sowing the seeds has been pretty fun so far, and I haven't even seen sprouts yet! Can't imagine how exciting it will be then!

• brandymulvaine
    16 years ago

Bellarosa I still have bunches of fushia campion seeds. I tried to link my homepage -don't know if it worked. If not email me for an address to send the SASE. B
    brandymulvaine@yahoo.com

Here is a link that might be useful: homepage??

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County