Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terrene_gw

Container Count / Zone Wars 2011-2012 ~ Official Count (2)

terrene
12 years ago

This is the second thread in the official Winter Sowing Container Count (affectionately known as Zone Wars).

The count runs from December 22, 2011 - May 1, 2012.

Everyone is welcome to participate! To participate you simply post on this thread the number of containers you have wintersown. You can post daily, weekly, etc. Each time you post, please include your total count so far. For example:

'I sowed 5 more today for a total of 25 containers'.

How To Count Containers:

Each container, no matter the size, counts as one. However, if you feel your container is worth more than one, just use your judgment. Say, for example, you have one flat bin full of twenty cups with four different seeds. You can count it as 1, 4, or 20. The same for a lasagna pan you may plant several different types of seed in. Whatever you feel is right. We wont be peeking over your garden gate to count your containers ;)

How to List your Zone:

Make sure your zone is listed correctly on your member page so we can place you on the correct 'team'. You can edit your zone by clicking on Member Pages and then selecting Edit Your Personal Information, Page, and Preferences. You are welcome to use any guide you wish to determine your zone, as well as your own experience. If you are unsure of your zone, this Gardenweb page may help: Finding Your Zone.

If your member page does not list a zone, you must include the zone in your post. For example:
'I sowed 5 more today for Zone 7 for a total of 25 containers'.

If your member pages lists you on the border of 2 zones (such as 7b/8a) you need to decide which team to join for Zone Wars, and include it in your post. Or you can revise your member page and put 7b from now until May 1. Then after May 1 change it back to 7b/8a.
{{gwi:345302}}

Everyone who is winter sowing is encouraged to participate.

Chatting, support, suggestions, and friendly rivalry are encouraged.

Every container counts so join the fun!!

~Happy Sowing~

Comments (150)

• adamark
    12 years ago

Pls add 38 containers for a total of 53 to zone 5
    Thank you

• kmsimmons
    12 years ago

44 for a total of 44 for zone 7

• docmom_gw
    12 years ago

A little sowing therapy. 3 more containers for a total of 39. Keep up the good work zone 5.

Martha

• barbe_wa
    12 years ago

Please add 8 for Zone 8. My total is now 94. Thanks.

• dsb22
    12 years ago

5 more for Zone 7 (my total is 23).

• ohiopeppers
    12 years ago

Please, add 15 more for zone 6, for a total of 77.

Thanks, Karen.

• northforker
    12 years ago

Zone 7 is making a play! Watch your backs there 5 & 6!

I've just started today but there is more to come. Please add 31 to Zone 7.

I do not sow in alpha order, but I do "place" in alpha order outside, so I can find plants later! I have a A-E shelving unit, a F-K sheving unit, etc with the jugs grouped by letter on a shelf. I add my annuals right into the system later.

Nancy

• sandysgardens
    12 years ago

I've finally started ws.
    Please add 60 jugs to ZONE 4

More to follow.
    Sandy

• beatrice_outdoors
    12 years ago

I did my sunflowers plus a few others yesterday. Again, winter sowing without a coat, just a sweater.

Please add 301 to zone 6. My total is now 373.

Beatrice

• beatrice_outdoors
    12 years ago

And I only stopped because I ran out of potting soil...

:)

• clc70
    12 years ago

44 more for a total of 252 in zone 8

• docmom_gw
    12 years ago

A little sowing therapy. 3 more containers for a total of 39. Keep up the good work zone 5.

Martha

• terrene
    Original Author
    12 years ago

~ Container Count / Zone Wars ~

Zone Wars Summary:

Zone 4 . . . . . . . . . 259
    Zone 5 . . . . . . . . 1,413
    Zone 6 . . . . . . . . 1,612
    Zone 7 . . . . . . . . 1,166
    Zone 8 . . . . . . . . . 414

Total Containers: 4,864

Good morning (almost afternoon), winter sowers. WOW, lots of sowing going on this weekend and zone 6 has surged ahead and taken a commanding lead!! Welcome to the count KSimS, nan-6161, and Sandysgarden.

Click the Container Count / Zone Wars Spreadsheet to see the container count in detail. ~ Happy Sowing ~

"There are many tired gardeners but I've seldom met old gardeners. I know many elderly gardeners but the majority are young at heart. Gardening simply does not allow one to be mentally old, because too many hopes and dreams are yet to be realized. The one absolute of gardeners is faith. Regardless of how bad past gardens have been, every gardener believes that next year's will be better."...Allan Armitage

• TraceyOKC
    12 years ago

Please add 6 more to Zone 7...my new total is 120!

The weather has been beautiful for working in the yard. DH brought in 2 pickup loads of soil for the new flowerbeds we are building. The WS'd babies are going to love their new homes!

• weebay
    12 years ago

Hi,
    Finally getting started.

25 total for me (zone 6) so far this year.

-weebay

• ruthz
    12 years ago

59 containers sowed for zone 8

• ibheri
    12 years ago

Oh boy this is scary for me. I don't see anyone from zone 9. Please add 12 from my side. This is my first yr.

• Mindyw3
    12 years ago

I added 7 more today which brings me to 14 I believe. Zone 5!

• TraceyOKC
    12 years ago

Another sunny day, I got 4 more containers done. Total 124.

Go zone 7!

• sandlapper_rose
    12 years ago

8 milk jugs sown today in Zone 8.
    First of the year!

• terrene
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Zone Wars Summary:

Zone 5 . . . . . . . . 1,418
    Zone 6 . . . . . . . . 1,637
    Zone 7 . . . . . . . . 1,176
    Zone 8 . . . . . . . . . 481
    Zone 9 . . . . . . . . . . 12

Total Containers: 4,983

Happy February, winter sowers! We're just about to break 5,000! Welcome new counters Weebay, Ruthz, Ibheri and Sandlapper_rose. And a special welcome to Ibheri, who is a counting for zone 9. How exciting!! Don't be intimidated, but you are the first zone 9 counter of this year, last year, and perhaps even earlier years. A zone 9 counter is unusual (you will have to keep us posted how winter-sowing works in zone 9).

Mindyw3, please check your total, I put you down for 14, but the spreadsheet had said 9 before that (which would have totaled 16).

Click the Container Count / Zone Wars Spreadsheet to see the container count in detail. {{gwi:345304}}{{gwi:350939}}

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

Add eight more for me here in Zone 6. My total is now 50! :)

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• susaninosceolamo
    12 years ago

Hello all! Newbie here and I have started 47 pop bottles / milk jugs etc since 12/30. Crazy warm weather here so I have held off on doing more but I see that others are going ahead so maybe I should too! And, I'm trying everything while also learning the difference between perenials, hardy annuals, tender ones, etc. This is so much fun!

• kvenkat
    12 years ago

Pls add 11 containers to Zone 5.
    My total is 11.

• barbe_wa
    12 years ago

Please add 6 for Zone 8 which brings my total to 100. Thanks.

• lizbest1
    12 years ago

12 so far for zone 5. I planted 5 this week, 7 the week before but haven't posted at all until now so pls count all for this week. These are my 1st ever wintersown containers, wish me luck!

• Qycone
    12 years ago

I just sowed my first 19 containers (ever) last night. Zone 6

I am hoping for a good harvest.

• terrene
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Zone Wars Summary:

Zone 5 . . . . . . . . 1,441
    Zone 6 . . . . . . . . 1,711
    Zone 7 . . . . . . . . 1,176
    Zone 8 . . . . . . . . . 487

Total Containers: 5,086

Good morning winter sowers. We've broken 5,000! Welcome to the count, Susaninosceolamo, Kvenkat, LizinElizabeth, and Qycone! Nice to see so many newbies jumping on board.

Click the Container Count / Zone Wars Spreadsheet to see the container count in detail.
    {{gwi:350940}}

• molanic
    12 years ago

I started in January and did three sowing sessions for a total of 64 containers so far. Now I need more potting mix. Every year I tell myself I will have enough mix because I'm not going to do as many containers as years past. I have not been able to stay under my self imposed limit any year so far :)

• beachgrub
    12 years ago

23 more jugs for zone 4 so my total is 104.

• sandlapper_rose
    12 years ago

8 more for Zone 8. My total is now 16.

• fixerupperinnh
    12 years ago

10 more for me, with a total of 40. z5.

• TraceyOKC
    12 years ago

9 more for me, new total of 133.

• barbe_wa
    12 years ago

Please add 5 for Zone 8. My total is now 105. Thanks again.

• dieg01991
    12 years ago

I finally started winter sowing... but only 13 containers so far. I'm waiting for my seeds to come from a trade I recently participated in. Once those come, I'll be sowing like crazy! :-)

Please add 13 to Zone 4

Amy

Here is a link that might be useful: My list of winter sown seeds so far

• terrene
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Zone Wars Summary:

Zone 4 . . . . . . . . . 295
    Zone 5 . . . . . . . . 1,515
    Zone 6 . . . . . . . . 1,711
    Zone 7 . . . . . . . . 1,185
    Zone 8 . . . . . . . . . 500

Total Containers: 5,218

Good morning, winter sowers. TGIF everybody! Welcome to the count Dieg01991. I'm sure your Zone 4 comrades are happy to have another counter!

Click the Container Count / Zone Wars Spreadsheet to see the container count in detail. ~ Happy Sowing ~

"â¦the voice of the Great Spirit is heard in the twittering of birds, the rippling of mighty waters, and the sweet breathing of flowers."...Gertrude Simmons Bonnin

• snapdragon36
    12 years ago

Please add 68 for zone 5 total 104.
    thanks Debbie

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

I just found another packet of perennial seeds tucked in with my annuals.

9 containers for Z5 pixie_lou
    270 containers total

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

hello
    got some more done
    27 more for zone 5
    for a total of 55 for me.
    michelle

• bookjunky4life
    12 years ago

Please add a measeley 8 more containers for me zone 5; running total is 158

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

Add six more for me here in Zone 6. My total is now 56 :).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• river_crossroads z8b Central Louisiana
    12 years ago

Please add 6 more for a total of 8 for zone 8.

So hot here that a mosquito bit me as I was working on the front porch this evening. Sowed sjc48's Coral Nymph Salvia (Texas Hummingbird Sage) that she kindly sent me for my butterfly/hummer project. Thanks again, Shirley!

Terrene, this includes the 2 A. purpurascens (purple milkweed) that sprouted in the fridge that I have now moved to a styrofoam cup outside. Thanks for your help!

• terrene
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Zone Wars Summary:

Zone 4 . . . . . . . . . 295
    Zone 5 . . . . . . . . 1,627
    Zone 6 . . . . . . . . 1,717
    Zone 7 . . . . . . . . 1,185
    Zone 8 . . . . . . . . . 506

Total Containers: 5,342

Good morning, winter sowers! Pixie_lou - please check your total - you post 270, but I've got you down for 370. Book junky - please check your total too. I've got you down 183, not 158 (your previous post said your running total was 175). PS - there are no measly containers!

Click the Container Count / Zone Wars Spreadsheet to see the container count in detail. {{gwi:345304}}{{gwi:350941}}

• doubleAmom
    12 years ago

please add 9 more for me in zone 5. My total is now 28

• sandlapper_rose
    12 years ago

13 more for Zone 8 for a total of 29

• bookjunky4life
    12 years ago

Please add 26.5 containers (counting my half gallons as .5 contaner) for zone 5. My running total is 184.5.

• Mindyw3
    12 years ago

Add 5 more for me zone 5. I thinkthat makes my total 19....but i thinki have morethen that....ill double check next round ofcontainers.

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

Yes terrene - you caught my typo. Which is why you are the official counter and not me.

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

Add seven more for me here in Zone 6. My total is now 63 :).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• terrene
    Original Author
    12 years ago

NEW THREAD IS STARTED!! PLEASE POST TO NEW THREAD.

Sponsored