Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigbob7777

Light or no light

bigbob7777
12 years ago

Many of my seed packages say "needs light to germinate". In fact, most of the flowers do. Is the consensus here to just "pat" those seeds into the container? Or do ya'll bury them a little in the container?

I am very worried that they'll dry out if I just pat them into the soil. I am talking of WSing them; not sowing inside for transplant later.

bob

Comments (8)

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Ignore what the seed packages say--seeds can't read. Sow them on the surface of your moistened growing mix but don't cover them with more of it. The alternating freeze/thaw cycles during winter will let them make the necessary contact with the growing medium.

That said, I lightly sprinkle bird grit over the seeds to help them make contact with the mix without blocking the light. My WS results are nothing short of phenomenal so I figure if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

• PVick
    12 years ago

Patting, lightly, is good.

PV

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

This is something I have to remind myself. I am heavy handed. I just patted them in.

• kimka
    12 years ago

As the others have said, I don't cover any small seeds, just sprinkle and pat lightly.

With big seeds like summersweet, holly hock and morning glory, I put them into the soil about 3X their length with a bamboo skewer and pat to ensure the soil firms behind them

KimKa

• bakemom_gw
    12 years ago

I don't even pat. I just toss them in. Haven't had a complaint yet.

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

I don't pat them in either. That just makes the stick to my hand. I sprinkle in, then spray with a spray bottle.

Karen

• donn_
    12 years ago

I sprinkle fine sifted vermiculite from a grated cheese container...just enough to cover the seeds and all the medium. Then I mist it all until the vermiculite is wet. It not only helps the seeds stay in place and in contact with the soil, but it hinders algae and moss growth on the top of the soil.

• trudi_d
    12 years ago

I moisten the soil, scatter the seeds over the top, then rub them in--some are a bit more covered than others. Ma Nature does her thing the seeds sprout just fine.

T

Sponsored