Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Light or no light

Posted by bigbob7777 6b (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 7, 12 at 17:32

Many of my seed packages say "needs light to germinate". In fact, most of the flowers do. Is the consensus here to just "pat" those seeds into the container? Or do ya'll bury them a little in the container?

I am very worried that they'll dry out if I just pat them into the soil. I am talking of WSing them; not sowing inside for transplant later.

bob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Light or no light

Ignore what the seed packages say--seeds can't read. Sow them on the surface of your moistened growing mix but don't cover them with more of it. The alternating freeze/thaw cycles during winter will let them make the necessary contact with the growing medium.

That said, I lightly sprinkle bird grit over the seeds to help them make contact with the mix without blocking the light. My WS results are nothing short of phenomenal so I figure if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

o

• Posted by pvick z6B NYC (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 7, 12 at 18:28

Patting, lightly, is good.

PV

o

This is something I have to remind myself. I am heavy handed. I just patted them in.

o

As the others have said, I don't cover any small seeds, just sprinkle and pat lightly.

With big seeds like summersweet, holly hock and morning glory, I put them into the soil about 3X their length with a bamboo skewer and pat to ensure the soil firms behind them

KimKa

o

• Posted by bakemom z6 Central Ohio (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 8, 12 at 17:48

I don't even pat. I just toss them in. Haven't had a complaint yet.

o

I don't pat them in either. That just makes the stick to my hand. I sprinkle in, then spray with a spray bottle.

Karen

o

I sprinkle fine sifted vermiculite from a grated cheese container...just enough to cover the seeds and all the medium. Then I mist it all until the vermiculite is wet. It not only helps the seeds stay in place and in contact with the soil, but it hinders algae and moss growth on the top of the soil.

o

I moisten the soil, scatter the seeds over the top, then rub them in--some are a bit more covered than others. Ma Nature does her thing the seeds sprout just fine.

T

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here