Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heavenlyfarm

What seedlings are you looking forward too the most?

heavenlyfarm
10 years ago

Sooo
Here it is very cold (2 degrees with negative wind chills possible) and no sprouts for me so I thought I'd ask everyone....What seedlings are you looking forward too the most? what container of seeds do you wanna see sprout the most? (and I know we try not to play favorite but come on! There's something you really hope works with winter sowing!)

For me?
-Delphiniums, Pacific Giants (I have never grown these before but I think they look magnificent and not gonna lie, I probably will treat them like queens)
-Pink Peony Poppies ( again, they look sooo beautiful and I have never had luck with poppies sprouting before!)
-Asclepias Tuberosa Orange and 'Hello Yellow' ( always loved butterfly weed but have never gotten it to grow from seed either before)

~Michael

Comments (10)

• ryseryse_2004
    10 years ago

Ok Michael, you will definitely get the delphs --- I get good germination every year. Same with the orange butterfly weed. As far as the poppies go, I get good germination with the peach colored double poppies.

So, here in a zone colder than you, I get three for three so I have an idea that you will be a happy camper!!!

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

I had grown Wild Blue Lupine at my previous home, since it is the only host plant for the endangered Karner Blue Butterfly. I transplanted some when I moved, but the spot was too shady and I lost those plants. I was able to get seeds from a friend who I had donated plants to, so I'm hoping they'll germinate and I can find a sunnier place for them. I also have several new-to-me species of milkweed that I'm trying to grow to re-establish the migration path for the Monarch Butterflies. Unfortunately, I'm near the northern limit of their migration, so I need everyone in all the lower and more western states to do what they can to enable the Monarchs to reach my little part of the world. If anyone wants seeds, let me know. I still have tons of the Common Milkweed seeds that are best for more wild areas and naturalizing.

Martha

• heavenlyfarm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

RyseRyse_2004, I'm glad to hear that! I don't think I've ever seen delphiniums in their full glory so I can't wait! I also got my formosan lily seeds from a trade today and I couldnt resist doing two containers of those...That is another one that is definitely on the top of my list of things I wanna see sprout!

and I actually plan on using alot of milkweed plants to fill in parts of my garden plans this year....One hill will have a large area of hello yellow milkweed( well i hope it turns out yellow tho it really doesnt matter) and the orange will be part of my orange/red hill! hills hills hills...I hate planting on hills but it will have to do for now! lol
    ~michael

• tempusflits
    10 years ago

This will probably sound odd, but I'm looking forward to having leeks for the first time . As for flowers, I can never have enough columbine, foxgloves, and ox-eye daisies.

• tempusflits
    10 years ago

This may sound odd, but I'm most excited this year about leeks. I've never grown them before. As for flowers, I can never have enough columbine, foxgloves, or ox-eye daisies. So I'm looking forward to them, too.

• freezengirl
    10 years ago

I am most excited to see if the New Zealand Delphiniums I winter sowed from last year made it through the winter. I swore I wasn't going to sow anything more this year since I have more then I can manage...yeah, that is going well. I have a lengthy list of seeds to start for shady areas of the yard. The two things on my order that I am quite excited about though are seeds for Narcissus poeticus and Scilla pervuiana. I am going to have to find a spot in my yard for long term experiments like growing bulbs from seed.

• mori1
    10 years ago

For wintersowing its orlaya grandiflora.
    For my inside seeds its Lisanthus, Trachymene caerulea Lacy pink and blue.
    Actually, everything I've sowed so far.

This post was edited by mori1 on Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 21:52

• arylkin
    10 years ago

mori1- I'm doing orlaya this year too! It looks like such a gorgeous plant, I don't know why it's not more common.

I also found some astrantia seeds on ebay, so I'm excited about those. They're so interesting looking!

This is my first year wintersowing- I'm super excited!!

• agathafroo
    10 years ago

I'm looking forward to the following seedlings the most, because these are plants I've yet to see in real life:
    Blue herald gentian
    Climbing hydrangea
    Maltese cross (lychnis Vesuvius)

Orlaya and astrantia look lovely---I've added them to my want list for next year. :)

• mori1
    10 years ago

arylkin,

I grew orlaya grandiflora for the first time last year. I love it, I saved every seed I could. I hope to have more then 9 plants. I also winter sowed astrantia. I got several seedling last year but this has been harsh winter so better safe than sorry.

Sponsored