Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adamark

If you worry where to plant - make a lasagna bed ( a lot of pics)

adamark
13 years ago

Soon, once the green tsunami will come (and it will) we'll be worry what to do with all those plants. I had this dilemma last spring. Not so mutch about flowers but tomatoes. I grew a lot under the lights (sorry, didn't know about WSing yet). So, when they all started to come, I was wondering where I'll plant them. It was already Spring, I think late March, April. I had about 1.5 - 2 months to make a lasagna bed. Here is the story....

{{gwi:351039}}

I know, the brick was was not stable. It was just temporary and it did survive the season

{{gwi:351040}}

{{gwi:351042}}

I started puting whatever I could gather. Old leaves, paetmost, old strow, kitchen scrups, compost, some soil, etc...

{{gwi:351043}}

{{gwi:351044}}

{{gwi:351045}}

{{gwi:351046}}

These are my tomatoes from under the lights. This year I'm WSing for an obvious reason...

{{gwi:351047}}

I planted them using the "trench method"

{{gwi:351048}}

Basil and marigold were under those cups (they were WS'ed in those cups). I covered seedlings because I mulched the bed and wanted to protect them

{{gwi:351049}}

{{gwi:351050}}

Tomatoes were great and those cucks in the corner! At the end, some of those tomatoes were almost 6-8 feet tall!

Lesson - the bed was to wide. This year, I'll make no more then 3 feet wide. Otherwise, despite my DH reservations (not that he participated in building it) it really worked!

Comments (17)

• gardenunusual
    13 years ago

That's brilliant. I struggled with ripping up grass this spring. Love what you did, thanks for sharing!!!

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Adamark, not only do I love your visual for the lasagna bed, but I also LOVE the fact that you rerouted your gutter in that 50 gallon drum with a spicket none the less!! Nice very Nice!!

• adamark
    Original Author
    13 years ago

we have four of those drumas. I have to admitt, we didn't use the water as much as we should. However, this year, I'll connect them to soakers and definitly will use the rain water much more. Anyway, last year was the first year for:
    1/ growing under lights (with mixed results)
    2/ winter sowing with, generally, very good results
    3/ two new lasagna beds
    4/ fenced container garden - one day, I'll post pictures
    5/ additional container gardening with 5-1-1 soil mixture(see Container forum)
    6/ raised bed gardening (I posted in the Potager forum)

So, in general, it was an eventfull year. Now, I'm looking forward for the this year to learn more.

• Pamchesbay
    13 years ago

Fabulous photos tell the story. And thanks for the details (like 3' is wide enough). Good job!

• dorothy4981
    13 years ago

Thank you so much for sharing. Now I can begin to build another bed for all the seeds I expect to germinate. The visual is excellent!

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

Square foot gardening suggests a four foot wide square bed as one can easily reach 2ft from any side. My first gardening here was two four foot squares. I later made some beds 3 ft wide and found it was just a bit too wide, an uncomfortable stretch. Those that I made 2 ft wide are much easier to work with. (This is of course, beds that are accessed from only one side like the one you have above.)

Great process in bed making and I also noted the rain barrel.

How many tomatoes did you plant in the area? I counted about 2 doz. poles. Any concerns with the spacing and growth issues? I would like to grow more tomatoes in less space.

• terrene
    13 years ago

Terrific pictures Adamark!! Your veggies look great too. It works even better, if you start making the bed in the fall for the following Spring. Lasagne aka sheet composting has been very effective for me, although I still dig a lot, when impatient to plant things.

• gardenunusual
    13 years ago

mnwgal - if I could chime in on your question- I planted tomatoes maybe a little farther apart, not much, and I was wishing at the end of the season I had given them more space. I pulled out 5 plants that didn't do anything b/c they weren't getting enough sun or competing for nutrients.

Despite that, the San Marzanos did pretty well, although I think they could have done better. The Sungold cherry did outstanding, grape pretty good. Green zebra not good, and the one and only Pink Brandywine (turned out to be my favorite) that I planted yielded 4 tomatoes that I waited a long long time for.

• adamark
    Original Author
    13 years ago

mnwsgal - you are correct, 3 feet might also be too wide. Mine was about four feet. I thought that those stepping pieces of wood would do. On the top, we aided the fence. The fence served two purposses, protect basil from rabbits and keep those brick wall together. So, as you can imagine, fence and wide bed made picking up tomatoes and taking care of them quite a struggle. On the top of that, there were MUCH too many of them. If I would plant half, I would have similar or better crop.
    However, as I said, that was my first year and I wanted to proof myfelf (and, most importantly, my DH) that:
    1/ tomatoes will grow on "the cardboard"
    2/ that someting will come from those "leggy, good for nothing, planted MUCH too early, etc, etc" seedlings

Thahk you all for your kind words

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    13 years ago

That looks like such a great tomato bed - yes, I'm jealous since gardening in a climate where ripe tomatoes before first frost can be really hit and miss :)

But I'd just like to add for anyone thinking of copying that design who might not be planning vegetables or annuals but a perennial or shrub bed....and please understand this is coming from someone who has never once said 'I wish I'd made that bed smaller' but quite the opposite -

I'd make it deeper front to back, not less if a more permanent planting was what was in mind. I'd add more out from the house and wouldn't have it accessible from only the front but would leave room to walk in behind it. That would make weeding and plant maintenance reachable from two sides, but more important, with a planting of perennials or shrubs there are still going to be times during home ownership that house is going to need its own maintenance or attention. There's nothing worse than finding the landscaping is in the way of work needed by the original investment - the house. Been there, done that, and if I ever have a new house and new gardens, I won't do it again.

• just1morehosta
    13 years ago

This is so ture Morz8,I planted 3 Arborvitaeties last year,making sure I left enough room behind them do do house upkeep,when needed, so many times, you see them planted right next to the house, good point you brought out.
    cAROL

• ladyrose65
    13 years ago

Good Ideas. Nice Pictures Adamark!

• firstmmo
    13 years ago

That is such a great story--thanks adamark. And of course I love potager garden pics too :)

• defrost49
    13 years ago

Great job. I love our lasagna beds. We've tried taking out sod but then we lose about 8" (old pasture). I would just advise building the beds higher since they will condense and shrink just in one season. I aimed for 18-24" and the original bed is now back to ground level.

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

Good reminder, morz8. I am redoing the beds along the East side of the house and have left 2 ft clearance next to the house for maintenance of both the house and the beds.

The bed along the back of the garage only has 1 foot clearance
    which I have found is not enough.

My narrow beds are along the fence of my veggie bed. I have beds along all four sides and two tall raised beds in the center.

They seem to be missing from my Photobucket account but here is a link where they are about 2/3 way down.

Here is a link that might be useful: Veggie Garden layout

• manda3
    13 years ago

How soon can you plant into the bed after you fill it up like this? I've got a ton of cardboard strips that have been taking their time migrating to the recycle bin. If I threw those out now along with my mail and newspapers, and topped it off with soil and food scraps at the end of January, would it be ready this spring?

• adamark
    Original Author
    13 years ago

manda 3 - last year, I started in the Spring. I didn't have dates on my camera that time, so I'm not sure exactly when. Judging by the order of my pictures, it was just befor the Easter. I haven't done this in one day. I was adding additional material with time. As it was pointed out, it did condensed. At the begining, I started with carboard, coffee grounds, kitchen scabs. With time, I knew I had to use material ready for planting. So, I had a layer of soil, peat most, compost, etc. Frankly, I was using whatever I could find on sale at that time. I think, I was building almost until tomatoes' planting time. Interesting, the bed didn't shrank much more.
    In the fall, when I cleaned tomatoes, I removed the fence and my DH took those bricks away (they are left over from building a house and will be used for outside BBQ). Anyway, in the spring he'll build me a bed from wood, similar to other beds in the garden. As a matter of fact, he wants the space between the house and the bed (see morz8's comments). I guess, we'll have to do it.

BTW, last year, I've buit two beds like this. This one was for tomatoes, the other one was for potaoes. I didn't have much soil, compost, etc, etc. So the potatoes bed didn't get much of that good staff. Needless to say, I can attest, potaoes don't like to grow on the carboard only and be covered with only strow. But that's another story and, again, quite a few pictures....

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus