Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
upsydaisy_gw

Winter sowing petunias

upsydaisy_gw
9 years ago

Hi, looking for advice as this is my 1st attempt at WS.I live in the south of the UK, can I sow petunias and if so when is the best time, thanks

Comments (12)

• PVick
    9 years ago

I've sown petunias anywhere from mid-February to late June. They germinate profusely with no problems. They will self-seed in my zone 6-7 garden. I'd say go ahead and sow them now if you wish.

Good luck!

PV

• ladyrose65
    9 years ago

Yes, just sprinkle the seeds of top of the soil. They need sunlight to germ. The seeds are tiny. They will bloom fast with WSing! Happy Sowing!

• upsydaisy_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your quick replies, I'll get sowing then. It really lifts the 'winter blues' thinking about and sowing lovely flowers to welcome the spring in!

• southerngardening24
    9 years ago

I winter sowed petunias last winter and they did great. They held up better in our humid hot summer than the one my daughter bought me for my birthday. You will love them!

• MaryJoZ5
    9 years ago

I ws a petunia last year and it did grow, but not as well as my indoor grown ones. I'm thinking I waited to long to get them out of the milk jug. This year I hope to try a bunch of seeds that I collected from last years plants, and hope to get them out of their ws containers much sooner. If they don't do as well I won't be out anything really. If they do well, I can consider ws my new petunia seeds next year!!

• bellarosa
    9 years ago

I wintersowed petunias in mid-Feb and they did so well. they were blooming machines up until frost. I don't do anything special to them. just WS, plant them out, and let Mother Nature take it from there! :-)

• MaryJoZ5
    9 years ago

bellarosa do you remember about when they were big enough to plant and when they started flowering?

• bellarosa
    9 years ago

MaryJo, I planted them out around late May. They were slow to sprout, but once they did, they never stopped blooming! I think they started blooming around mid-June? The variety I grow is Laura Bush petunias. They come in pink or fuschia - my favorite. It's an amazing variety that does really well in intense heat. They are also supposed to be reseeders, but I haven't had that to be the case in my Zone 5 garden.

• PVick
    9 years ago

Laura Bush are the ones that reseed like crazy in my garden! First time I sowed them was 2008; I've had them every year since by them self-seeding - everywhere!

They bloom forever - love 'em!

• pitimpinai
    9 years ago

Petunia is my best Winter Sown result:

3 weeks after planting from HOS:
    {{gwi:344698}}

5 weeks after planting HOS:
    {{gwi:360461}}

July:
    {{gwi:360466}}

I still have volunteers from this original group of Petunia.

• upsydaisy_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks once again for all your very informative replies and wow I just love the photos pitimpinai ,you have very 'green fingers'

• bellarosa
    9 years ago

Pit,
    Thanks for posting your pics! Stunning as always. I'll have to remember to take pics of mine and post them sometime this year. These are truly amazing petunias that are workhorses in the garden. I highly recommend them.