Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilykit64

How about a group experiment ?

lilykit64
11 years ago

I think it would be fun to all sow a certain seed on a certain day and see how it all germinates in the various zones? Anyone have an idea on a certain seed? Maybe a tomato variety this year or a certain flower.

Comments (50)

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    11 years ago

Cool idea, but it might be tough finding something everyone grows.

• ryseryse_2004
    11 years ago

I would love this --- I think a perennial like Delphinium would be great since it can be sown in Dec./Jan. no matter what zone. Is that common enough? Ideas?

• lilykit64
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Delphinium would certainly be a challenge. I did in have good luck last year which was my first WS season but I may have planted it too late. I have planted some this year in December. I also have some new seed on the way this week I hope. I heard that the seed quality really makes a difference. I would be willing to do that. Maybe we should also have a veggie to sow also for those who don't do flowers.

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    11 years ago

Some people find delphinium finicky, from what I've seen posted. For me, it's always been relatively easy -- I plopped some seeds on a windowsill years ago and got four beautiful plants. Three of them didn't come up last year so I wanted some more, and just ws a jug of them on 1/16. But I have seed left so if anyone wants to do this I'll just do a few more.

Now to find people in a few different zones. I'm now 7, thanks to changes last year or the year before and both of you are 5. We need some 4, 6 and 8. Don't know if I've seen many higher or lower than that on here. Plus, there are variations within the zones - some 7s are south of me while Long Island is northeast.

Caryl

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

Sounds like fun! But not with delphiniums, lol. At least not for me!

How about something like marigolds, or zinnias, or cosmos - something easier and more common that lots of us might grow already, and which would be something that those of us who don't grow might be able to use (and come to love?)

Dee

• ryseryse_2004
    11 years ago

I didn't realize Delphs were difficult for some - never had a problem myself. I really would like to try this experiment with a perennial though. Any suggestions? Yarrow? Rudbeckia? Cone Flower? Pinks?

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    11 years ago

Pinks are dianthus, right? What about hollyhocks or lupine -- since the hollyhocks are biennials many of us probably do them every year just so we have some ready to bloom when the old ones are spent.

• TraceyOKC
    11 years ago

I will participate if I have or can get the seeds needed in time. This could be interesting.

Its my 2nd year WSing.

• lilykit64
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We could do 2 things and if you only want to do one of them then that's fine. How about Delphs and an annual like cosmos as suggested. Should we stick with common varieties or maybe that doesn't matter at this point. It's just for fun !!

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    11 years ago

Can cosmos be transplanted? I always direct sow mine.

Common varieties are easier to find -- most dollar stores have common petunias, marigolds, snaps etc for really cheap.

• lilykit64
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think most people have WS cosmos with no problem ???? You can buy is in 6 packs in the nurseries !!!

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    11 years ago

OK then, I'm in. Should we pick a date, maybe in Feb?

• ryseryse_2004
    11 years ago

OK, Cosmos it is. Let us know if you are in and what your zone is. I don't think it matters how early you plant them if they self-sow in your zone.

RyseRyse, Z5a

• terrene
    11 years ago

I'd be happy to participate too, as long as I've already got the seeds!

February is probably good, although it should probably be a hardy annual, since I don't sow the heat lovers until late March/early April.

How about something like Rudbeckia hirta/Black eyed susans?

• corgitrbl
    11 years ago

What about Groundhogs Day for the date? Punxsawtney Phil might like that. He is the seer or seers and prognosticator of prognosticators. Also marks the half-way point of winter. We'll have to see what Phil says.

See you at Gobblers Knob 2/2.

J

• corgitrbl
    11 years ago

Two thoughts if you direct sow Cosmos -- (a) You might try a short variety of these: Pink Popsock (found those at Lowes) 24 inches. (b) Only do a small potatoe salad container and save the rest of the seeds for direct sowing. You can plant the ws plants in pots with other annuals.

Doing a tomatoe as a second sowing makes more sense to me. One flower one veggie. I have Box Car Willie (Ferry Morse) seeds on hand.

What is the obective of this anyway? There are loads of us unspoken in other zones who will pipe in later about their trials

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

I think the objective is just fun! Just for each of us to sow the same seed on the same day and compare our results.

Is that right, lilykit?

Dee

• lilykit64
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes-fun only !!!! Let's wrap this up before Feb 1st so we can get to work !! I am game for the consensus. I'll pick it on 1/26/2013 how's that ?

• ryseryse_2004
    11 years ago

Sounds great -- you decide -- we plant!!!

• indiana_matt
    11 years ago

I'm in!

Will we all post updates on this thread?
    Maybe start a new, fresh thread on the day of sowing to post photos and results.

Do you think we should keep track of key info like: seed source, seed age, potting mix, (I think we should all use the same kind of container if possible), post the date we see sprouts.

Should we all sow the same number of seeds and count how many sprout we get?

I really get into keeping track of the picky details. I grow 660 tomatoes in a greenhouse at work and have to keep a journal everyday, so I'm used to keeping conditions consistent in order to track results that are accurate.

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    11 years ago

Good idea about containers and potting mix and the date we see sprouts.

Size of the seed could affect whether we can count seeds, though. Some seeds are tiny.

Caryl

• pghgardengirl
    11 years ago

I am in zone 6 and I'd like to try ...sounds like fun! I'll do Delphs, cosmos, and a tomato. I have had tomato plants volunteer elsewhere in my garden but they never reach fruiting stage because of our short growing season for warm weather veggies..not sure It 'll work for me but I always love an experiment!

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

Yay, sounds like a plan. Let us know what we should plant, lilykit!

Dee

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    11 years ago

pghgardengirl, try a short DTM tomato and you should have no problem getting fruit. The plants go in small but quickly catch up -- they have great roots. And you can always start a few longer DTMs inside if you're worried about them.

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

I'll do Delph & tomatoes. No cosmos, as soon as it gets warm they sprout. BAM...a cold snap and their gone! Can we try another annual ex. nigella, snapdragons, clarkia, coreopsis or Rudbeckia's. They can handle the cold snaps once they sprout.

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    11 years ago

LOL, I knew there was a reason I ds cosmos. I'll do delphs and a tomato, too. I also have nigella and snapdragon seeds, but no clarkia (no idea what that is), coreopsis or rudbeckia.

Are we going to try to agree on a tomato type? Someone mentioned boxcar willie. I think I have a few of those. Also cherokee purple -- I got 100 percent germ on them last year and they're consistently near the top in taste tests.

• lilykit64
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK. .... Based on all the input what about Cosmos ( sensation mix), Delphs
    ( pacific giants) and tomato (Cherokee purple which you can get from Botanical interests I know because I have a packet ). If you don't have all three that's ok just sow what you have. I think as far as the process we should just do our own technique of WS and document it . Photos would be great. There are always going to be variables. Maybe next year we can modify it to eliminate some of those. For now it would just be interesting how things grow in different zones/climates. Anyone on board ??

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

Count me in for the cosmos. And actually, I may have a few delph seeds in my seedbox. I won't count on them to grow well later, but I did have success with WSing them as far as germination.

I don't have any Boxcar Willies so I'll pass on the tomato.

Do we have a date picked? I hope my potting mix thaws. I forgot to bring it in and it's been in the single digits here all week... :(

Dee
    P.S. Any particular kind of cosmos....?

• growsy
    11 years ago

I'm game if I've got the info right.

Feb 2nd we sow one container each of cosmos, delphiniums, & cherokee purple tomato.

Document when they sprout - photos good.

• terrene
    11 years ago

Okay Feb 2nd - I'll sow only the Cosmos because I don't have Delphs and although I do have seeds for Cherokee purple, I didn't like them all that much last year.

Cosmos has 2 species - Cosmos sulphureus (the yellow and orange varieties) and Cosmos bipinnatus (these are usually pink, white or crimson, and have lacier foliage).

So which species?? or does it matter? (I happen to have both).

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

Oops, I missed the Cherokee Purple thing - thought we were sowing Boxcar Willie. I might have some CP seeds, although they will be kind of old.

I too have both kinds of cosmos, but guess I assumed we'd be doing bipinnatus, since it seems to be more common. I was wondering if we were going to get specific as to variety - Gazebo, Double Click, Sonata, etc. - since we got specific with a tomato.

Today is a tad warmer, so I may go chip some potting soil off the frozen block it has become, and bring inside to thaw just to have for this experiment. Haven't gotten around to starting my regular WSing yet!

Dee

• corgitrbl
    11 years ago

Fer dirt, I know Walmart has an organic seed starting mix aound $4.75. Got it last week.

What container anyway?

• ryseryse_2004
    11 years ago

I'm in - Z5a. I don't see why the date sown matters for perennials - mine were all sown several weeks ago. Even for Cosmos, I have already sown all annuals that self sow because cold temps don't affect the germination.

The biggie, I think is when they sprout. BTW, I have tomato seeds from 2001 that germinate every year. In fact, pretty much everything I save germinates for many years until I decide to collect a fresh batch. I store them in a refrigerator drawer in zip-lock baggies.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

I think in this case the date matters because that's kinda the whole point of this fun experiment - to sow the same thing on the same date and compare our results. It's not necessarily important regarding sowing a certain seed on a certain date because of germination times, etc., it's in this case picking a date to sow on so we are all using the same starting point to compare our results.

:)
    Dee

This post was edited by diggerdee on Sat, Jan 26, 13 at 16:46

• lilykit64
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Terence- I can send you some Cherokee Purple !! I sure I will have enough seed for 2. Email me and I will send on Monday morning.

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

I have the Delp's and cosmos orange sulphurs. I don't have Cherokee Purple tomato? Can I substitute one of these. This is what I have in tomatoes:

Tomatoes:
    Black Krim
    Delicious Heirloom
    Black Cherry
    Riesentraube
    Super Beefsteak
    Snow White
    Super Sweet Hybrid 100
    VFF Hybrid
    Yellow Pear
    Roma
    Green Zebra
    Kosovo
    Abraham Lincoln
    Moskvich
    4th of July
    Livingston's Perfection

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    11 years ago

I don't see why you couldn't use the black krim instead of the cherokee purple. Both have DTMs of about 80 or more days, and to me the tomatoes were very similar too. In fact, I think any tomato with a DTM of 80 or so would work. The only ones that might sprout sooner and throw the experiment off are the ones that are early and a bit more cold hardy, things with Russian or Siberian in their name for example. Your fourth of july, for example, might be an earlier, cold-hardy type.

OTOH, if you want to try a cherokee purple I can send you a few seeds. Just email me and I'll get them out asap.

Caryl

• lilykit64
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Regarding the tomato type I am really looking for something simple that everyone has access to. I can do Black Krim or Red Siberian but Boxcar Willie might be too hard to get for everyone. Just saying.

• terrene
    11 years ago

Lilykit, I've got some Cherokee purple, thanks! Somebody sent me some in a trade last year. They were okay but not my fave, but I will sow a container for the sake of this experiment.

I don't think container should matter. I'm planning on using 2 LTR bottles. But what probably DOES matter is how much sun a container gets. The more sun, the warmer the inside of the container will get inside.

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

For the sake of time, I will use the Black Krim. Thank You Carly.

• lilykit64
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK- Let's say on FEB 2nd we plan on sowing : Delphinium( Pacific Giants) Cosmos ( sensation mix) and tomatoes ( Cherokee Purple and/ or
    Black Krim ). I will plant both types as I want to compare. Game on ??

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

Sounds good! I will check my seedbox and go chip some potting soil off the giant block on the back patio!

:)
    Dee

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    11 years ago

My containers usually go on the patio, which gets faces west and gets full sun most of the day. It seems to work fine unless it gets really warm, really early. Most years I never have to water, although last year was the exception with the freaky warm weather. This year seems more normal. I don't move anything to shade until late spring if at all. Most of what I grow seems to like the sun. Until the last few years, when a few of my trees have grown fairly big, I didn't have any shady spots at all so never cultivated shade plants.

• pixie_lou
    11 years ago

Can we start a new thread on this? Now that the decisions are made. It's confusing reading thru the whole thing to figure out what we have to sow and when.

If I have it right, I'm going to sow delphinium, cosmos and tomatoes on Saturday.

• pinusresinosa
    11 years ago

I'm in too! Delphs, cosmos, and tomatoes on Feb 2nd.

• indiana_matt
    11 years ago

Delphinium 'Pacific Giants' and Tomato 'Cherokee Purple' seeds needed!

Ok, so I was out and about today and thought for sure I would be able to find these seeds at my local garden centers. I found some Delphinium but they were a miniature type and if I'm going to grow them, I what the tall ones. My uncle usually grows Cherokee Purple but I will not be able to meet up with him in time to sow by the 2nd.

Can some one send me a few seeds please. I can send postage or we can make a trade. I do have cosmos and I also have some fresh 'Red Pearl' tomato seeds I just got from Johnny's that I could trade.

Thanks!

• lilykit64
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yikes - I could send some tomorrow .... Send me your address tonight !!

• lilykit64
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We have a new thread for this post !! See the most recent.

• indiana_matt
    11 years ago

Sending you an e-mail lilykit64!

Thanks!

• indiana_matt
    11 years ago

Yes, I did see it, thanks for letting me know...I didn't what to clutter it up with my request.