Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladyrose65

WS'ing Coleus and Celosia's for Zone 6 and under

ladyrose65
13 years ago

I've read a post where one did not get much germination WS Coleus. I would like to hear from those in my zone or colder when to WS these. I have the seeds. I don't want to WS too early.

Also would like info. on Dahlia seeds. They don't like the cold. But can they be WSed?

Comments (18)

• PVick
    13 years ago

If you can start your coleus inside, that's best. Get them some bottom heat, then when they germinate, put 'em in a sunny window - or under lights, if you can. That's the best way to get decent sized plants by the time spring/summer rolls around. Last year, I tried spring-sowing some, and they stayed puny for the whole season. But if you must do them outside, start them in early April.

Or check out Rosy Dawn Gardens. (hehehe!)

Celosia don't need the cold either - you can start them around March-April outside.

Dahlias you can do now - they'll be fine.

PV

• kqcrna
    13 years ago

I had the same results as PV with coleus. They stayed puny all summer. And I second her recommendation about Rosy Dawn- great choice. I get most of my coleus from there now. (Did you order with the coop again, PV? I did!)

{{gwi:352033}}

In fall I take cuttings from them and overwinter inside
    {{gwi:352035}}

Karen

• hostarookie
    13 years ago

I know where I'll be getting my Coleus from now. Thanks for the recommendation!

• jodie74
    13 years ago

WOW! Your coleus indoors looks VERY healthy! Even though my cuttings are under lights (12-14 hours day) they are getting tall & thin. :( Mine are in water & it looks like yours are in soil. Could that be the differnce? I was thinking I might put mine in soil any day now. They have huge roots! Do you trim yours back at all?

Getting ready to start my coleus seeds indoors. (in Feb) Is that too soon for my zone 5b/6a?

Looks like I have a new website to check out for coleus! THANKS!

Jodie

• kqcrna
    13 years ago

Jodie,

All coleus will grow better, be bushier if you keep them pinched. They'll get much fuller and it helps some to limit the height too.

I've never had good results rooting them in water. They usually rot. I always use barely moist potting mix and a humidity dome, and have a pretty good success rate.

The picture of cuttings above was in September, right after I brought them in and stuck. They're bigger now.
    {{gwi:352037}}

{{gwi:352038}}

This was my plants from RD in 2009, the day that I received them
    {{gwi:352041}}

Karen

• hostarookie
    13 years ago

I know where I'll be getting my Coleus from now. Thanks for the recommendation!

• PVick
    13 years ago

Karen - the last couple of years, I didn't get most of the coleus from RD planted out, so I decided I wasn't going to order any this year. I always get too many! That said, I went to DG just now and saw that the offer is over tomorrow!! I'm going to take a look and see if anything catches my eye - read that to mean I'll probably end up getting a few. No willpower whatsoever.

Thanks for reminding me!

PV

• hostarookie
    13 years ago

Hmmm, my above post was repeated twice. Not sure how that happened. :-)

PV, what is DG and what is the sale that ends tomorrow?

• kqcrna
    13 years ago

hostarookie, DG is a competing website and GardenWeb censors out the name. It is Dav_'s Garden (man's name). You might have to be a member to get the sale ad, and membership costs around $20/year.

Another site is also offering the same sale. That's Cub_ts.org. Membership is free.

If you can't figure out the names, feel free to email me. But the sale ends tomorrow.

Karen

• livsauntieshel
    13 years ago

Karen, what size cuttings are you bringing in in the fall? Mine seem like they were much smaller...they are doing good though, living in my "mini-greenhouse" in front of the sliding glass door with a nice southern exposure. Do you then take cuttings from your cuttings in the spring? When do you start?

• jodie74
    13 years ago

Karen-PLEASE HELP!! Here's my sickly coleus... What do you recommend to revive them? Are they a lost cause? Should I transplant to dirt & give them a huge "pinch back." Save the pinches as new starters?

First time posting pics direct so hope I do it right....

• jodie74
    13 years ago

Didn't work. :( Don't know why....

trying again...

Here is a link that might be useful: my coleus

• hostarookie
    13 years ago

Oh I wish I hadn't read this post and learned of Rosy Dawn Gardens!! I just placed a large order. lol

Em

• PVick
    13 years ago

You're gonna love those plants, Em!

Jodie - your link leads to a Facebook login page .... do you have to be a member to see it?

PV

• kqcrna
    13 years ago

Jodie, I can't see your picture either, and I don't do facebook. Are your cuttings still in water or have you put them into soil?

livsauntieshel, yes, I use those fall started plants as donor plants for new spring cuttings. I took the first round last week and they are still under their humidity domes
    {{gwi:352046}}

{{gwi:352047}}

Em, when you get your plants you won't regret the damage to your credit card.

Karen

• jodie74
    13 years ago

Sorry about the whole pic thing! Can you NOT use facebook to hold your pics for posting? I thought anyone could see them. Should I use photobucket?

Anyways, yes they are in water. Tall (10" or so) No leaves on the bottom. Should I pinch of the tops & put in dirt or plant roots that were in the water in the dirt & then pinch back?

Dang.... wish you could see them......

Your are so beautiful & healthy!!!

• PVick
    13 years ago

Karen (kqcrna) - I have to admit that Rosy Dawn got me too, despite all my intentions. Only got 4 this year, though. Hopefully, I'll manage to get them planted out.

PV

• livsauntieshel
    13 years ago

I agree with jodie, your plants look amazing! Mine haven't been getting truly enough light because it's just so dim in the winter, but since I moved them they're getting their colors back...had gone mostly all green. But they're been nicely pinched and I have lots of spots to take babies, so I'll get right on that! Thanks for the info!
    Shel

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting