Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WS Iceberg Lettuce?

Posted by midmented 6B Md (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 28, 13 at 18:58

Has anyone ever WS Iceberg lettuce? I was going to set some out this week to see what happens.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WS Iceberg Lettuce?

I've never even seen iceberg lettuce seeds anywhere, but why not? Is it that different from other lettuces?

o

Iceberg lettuce forms a head. Our church gave out seed and among the packets were iceberg lettuce. I thought I'd give it a try but have no experience in growing it.
My wife doesn't like leaf lettuce so maybe growing iceberg is in order. :)

o

I'd go for it then, but maybe hold back a few seeds just in case it doesn't like this method.

And everything old is eventually new again -- iceberg wedges are back on quite a few menus recently after being out of style since the late 60s, early 70s. Iceberg used to be all most of us got when we were kids. It took me a long time to warm up to leaf lettuce, or most salad stuff for that matter.

o

Midmented, Hazzard's Seeds is selling 5000 Iceberg lettuce seeds for $5.45. I have personally ordered from them, good germination and good packing. If you don't want 5,000 seeds, post a group seed purchase share for Iceberg lettuce. I would be interested.

o

I haven't gotten in to the seed exchange thing. It's one of those things that if I start, I might like it too much. :)
Wal-Mart had Iceberg lettuce on their shelf last evening. I didn't note the price but the heads were smaller than a normal head of lettuce.

I'm going to WS a couple milk jugs of Iceberg sometime this weekend.I have about 100 seeds which should be plenty for this experiment on WSing Iceberg. I'll bookmark and check out hazzards though. thanks for the info.

Here is a link that might be useful: DW's Blog

o

Ladyrose, I'd wondered if there was a way to share purchases of large #s of seeds. It sounds like a good idea since I've seen catalogs that offer 1000 or more seeds and always thought I'd never use that many.

And if any of you watch Top Chef, their quickfire challenge this past week was to use iceberg. They were appalled. :)

o

Carly, you are too funny! Sharing of large packs of seeds sounds good.

o

The Iceberg Lettuce went outside in milk jugs this morning. There sure were a lot of seeds in the packet. I also set out 5 different varieties of flowers this morning. FYI

Here is a link that might be useful: Posted to my blog

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here