Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best green bean to grow? Can't remember name?

Posted by irish_rose_grower z7 LI NY (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 15, 10 at 19:03

HI, I read somewhere on gardenweb that someone grew a greenbean on a vining plant that grew tall, that it was the most productive green bean and they wouldn't grow any other kind....i can't remember where I read this and was wondering if anyone had any recommendation for a superior bean such as thiss?

I'm in zone 6/7 on the coast.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best green bean to grow? Can't remember name?

• Posted by donn_ 7b, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 15, 10 at 19:10

'Blue Lake' is my favorite green pole bean.

o

I only grew them once, think it was Blue Lake. I love those Italian beans (broader and flat). Also like Scarlet Runner beans if caught before they get too mature.

Probably not the variety you are seeking.

o

I grow Fortex and love them. They can be picked up to 10-12" long with no change in texture. I tend to miss them in the vines and probably lost 25% of the Kentucky Wonder because they got very tough.

o

I'm planning on growing Fortex beans this year - I've read such good things about them that I just have to give it a try. I also grow Blue Lakes which I like much better than Kentucky Wonder, and I think the Kentucky Blue are pretty good too.

o

I have been growing Romano beans for several years. Their yields are very high and I harvest when young 6-7 inches long because I cook them whole. They are stringless too. This is the first year I have not been able to save seed (too wet and cold), so I may try something else. Fortex looks interesting. I also grow another long bean - the type you see in the Chinese shops. They are round and have a lovely flavour, but take a bit longer to mature. The Blue Lake series seem to be very popular but I have never tried them.

o

I have grown fortex for a few years and like the suble flavoring of it. However, I usually end up growing a couple of kinds and they always get mixed in together... so what the heck, I love all green beans =).

Silverkelt

o

Of course, it's all a matter of taste. I grew Blue Lake for many years, they are tender, sweet and stringless, and are good canners. I now grow more Romano's. They are heavy producers and my family prefers them to any other bean. They have a flat pod and great texture and taste. they are also good canners. If possible, plant several varieties and do your own taste test. If this is the 1st time that you have grown beans, I'd suggest you use a soil inoculant when you plant.

Luke

o

Rattlesnake Beans are great! They can be used as a green bean or left to dry and then cooked like a pinto. Great producers.I need to work on the trellising though-the teepee stakes fell over at the end of summer!

I am going to use the rest of my Blue Lake seeds but am going to try Half Runners this season too.

o

Cherokee Trail of Tears has won a permanent spot in my garden.

o

For Pole Beans, Blue Lake and Pole Romano here. They freeze well, also.
Bush green beans, I love the French Filet types, very tender and flavorful. Good producers as well

o

Fortex is my favorite, hands down. I live in cool coastal climate on the west coast of Washington state, so that says a lot that it does well here. I'll post pics of it below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Snap shots of FORTEX green beans from my garden

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here