Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saponaria

Saponaria's introduction

saponaria
12 years ago

I just wanted to introduce myself. I'd like to post enough here to actually get to know people who share my love of gardening. I absolutely love gardening but am new to WS. I learned about it several years ago but never did anything till last winter because I got bogged down in the details and didn't move past that. LOL

Anyway, last year I just tried sowing a bunch of tomatoes,tomatillo and peppers in gallon milk jugs hoping something might come up. They did! They did great and I'm addicted. I am just starting to sow a bunch this winter and ordering my seeds. I am all about making things as easy as possible. I have this frou frou three tier grow light set up I got as a birthday present years ago but it's really a disappointment. It only holds so many trays so I feel all limited in what I can start from seed. And despite having special lights specifically for growing plants inside they just don't do an adequate job and plants get spindly fast.

So winter sowing seems like it's going to be my ticket to massive amounts of plants with as little effort and money possible! I have got one hilly acre in GA and I've drooled over cottage gardens all my life. So I'm slowly working on covering the entire thing in flowers, herbs and vegetables. I don't want a bed here or there full of flowers. I want a whole yard full of flowers and bees and butterflies. KWIM? Only problem is that even though I'm only 34 I've always been majorly low in energy and I have 6 children who need my time and attention. Last year after a wild and crazy spring planting season I ended up with Mono and it wiped me out for months. :/

But I get back in the saddle every year! It's almost an addiction and honestly almost nothing else in my life gives me quite as much pleasure as gardening. I just could never NOT garden. It's an absolute thrill even after 20 years of gardening to see my seeds sprouting and plants growing. And I've always wanted my children to grow up with gardens and knowing what it's like to be able to pick and eat food right in the yard and to fill vases full of bouquets so I've always made it a priority to grow things for them since my oldest was a toddler. Several of my children just love to bring mommy flowers nearly ever day in the spring and summer and they often come with a butterfly to add that final touch. LOL

I can remember gardening with my great grandmother as a small child. She was an amazing gardener and my inspiration. I can still remember digging potatoes for the first time with her and just being amazed that potatoes were under the soil!

So that's my long winded intro! I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone. :)

Comments (5)

• gwen49
    12 years ago

Hi,
    I'm not the welcome wagon,I am seldom on here, but it's very nice to meet you.
    I love your spunk!And your enthusiasm (sp??)LOL
    My Grandmother had a green thumb, too. Anything would grow for her.inside or out!
    I also love wintersowing, it's so cool to see the tiny little plants,I have to admit between dogs, wind, kids,mine where all dumped before i could get them in the ground,but I refuse to give up.Right now my kitchen table and most of the cabinet is covered in nice clean jugs waiting for soil.
    Raising three grandsons for now, so I get a lot more jugs than I used to,also juice pouches work great if you have a pan or tray to set them in,
    I hope you have many long years of friendship here, you meet the nicest people in these forums!Let me know if there's any thing I can help you with!

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

Welcome saponaria. Happy to have you join us.

Karen

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

Welcome Saponaria! Nice to meet you.
    I remember my grandmother "amazing" me as a childing by rooting one of her houseplants in a jar of water. It's funny what makes an impression on a person and what sticks in your memory. She potted up that new plant and gave it to me in a little wicker basket that had a handle and I took care of it for many years.
    I have four kids and stay very busy but I garden anyway. It's the perfect hobby. You can spend as much or as little time as you want to each day and only have to step out your door to get there.

I'm glad you introduced yourself. I feel like a slightly older version of you. lol Please do join in and tell us about your progress filling up that acre.

Christie

• docmom_gw
    12 years ago

6 kids! I must say, I'm very satisfied with my two (14 and 12). I'm also re-married, and he has four teenagers that visit every weekend. And he keeps up with their sports and music/dance activities. I understand completely your attitude about gardening--both for yourself and for your kids. My kids aren't interested in it yet, but when I drag them out to help me, we have some of the best quality time together. Welcome to the forum. We have lots of fun reporting our successes and failures, and also sharing seeds. We especially enjoy any pictures. I'm very bad that way. I rarely take photos, and certainly don't manage to post them here. I keep promising myself I will, but find something else to do.

Anyway, welcome, and we look forward to many years of sharing with you.

Martha

• saponaria
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for the welcome!

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company