Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginnypenny

Wintersowing in East Texas??

ginnypenny
12 years ago

I live in the Tyler area of East Texas, we have very little really cold weather, and what we do have is scattered through out the winter. Usual cold temperatures are in the low 40s and a few in the 30s. Seldom do we get down to the 20's. Snow once in a great while.

My pointis it seems most people speak of cold and snow and it seems that maybe this area wont do for WS.

Suggestions? I have a greenhouse, but am interested in trying to WS as well.

We plan on doing tomatoes in the greenhouse, and I'd like to do flowers esp. perennials via winter sowing.

Comments (5)

• trudi_d
    12 years ago

Yes, you can Winter Sow in Texas, you can WS anywhere in a temperate climate. You don't need snow, ice or freezing temps, you just need the season called winter, and that you have.

{{gwi:352149}}

That illustration is from a WinterSown FAQ called "It Doesn't Snow Here", read that and any or all of the others to get some good info on how to begin your winter sowing, and ask a zillion questions here because the posters are wonderful with sharing their experoences.

T

Here is a link that might be useful: WinterSown FAQs

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

ginny, 40's will be cold enough to winter sow. If you were sowing perennial seeds that need a period of moist chill before they will germinate indoors and not outside, you'd be using your refrigerator, which should be set somewhere between 35 & 40. The fluctuating temps between day and night doesn't hurt them one bit, in fact it can help.

I'm a wet zone 8, and we don't have snow every year - what I can count on is plenty of rain. My day/night temps over the last week and forecast for the coming week will average out to approx 40 - works fine. The difference I see is where I never have to worry about moisture (but the opposite, my drainage in my containers has to be top notch), you may find yourself watering your containers in your climate type z8 to make sure they don't become overly dry.

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

We've had successful wintersowers from Alaska to Texas and everywhere in between. It should work fine. Your timing might be a little different from mine but all the basics are the same.

Karen

• melvalena
    12 years ago

ginnypenny,
    There are many of us on the Texas Forum who have done winter sowing with great success.

There is an active thread on the forum discussing it now.
    We just have to make sure we keep our sown flats shaded so they don't heat up too much, and make sure they don't dry out.
    Watch carefully when you move the sprouts into the sunshine. Most of the time we have to put something over them (like laundry baskets, or lawn chairs) to keep the mid day sun off the tiny sprouts.

For tender stuff you will have to wait until our last freeze to plant them unless you are prepared to protect them in ground.

• ginnypenny
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks to all. Think I'll give it a try.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus