Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
retiredprof

Containers for Free

retiredprof
15 years ago

Too funny: Today I started WSing and needed two more containers to finish. Nowhere in sight. I scoured the basement and garage. I thought I would kill myself before dinner.

Placed a "wanted" ad on our state Freecycle Board. Within 15 minutes I had 7 responses: "I have at least 50 2-liter soda bottles." "I have Gallon water Jugs--I'll even drop them off to your house." "I have 2 trash bags of soda bottles and milk jugs. I can't make it to the recycle center. so they're yours."

I'll be busy tomorrow. YES! Consider this freecycle source for great stuff. Last year I got 2 giant bags of straw/hay for the composter, slate for under the birdfeeders, and potting trays.

Check this out: http://www.freecycle.org/

Comments (18)

• token28001
    15 years ago

I thought people knew....

• seedmama
    15 years ago

Retired prof, Thanks for sharing your great idea with us. We love newbie enthusiasm and I'm personally pleased to see you getting in the thick of things. Can't wait to see you log in to the container count.

You have jugs. Do you need seeds? I've got free seeds for newbies. So do bakemom and wintersown.org Jump right in. We don't offer unless we mean it. If interested email me directly.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    15 years ago

Yes, freecycle saved me last year when I ran out of containers. I had some people saving them for me and I would make a weekly trip to pick them up. Great resource!

:)
    Dee

• busylizzy
    15 years ago

BTW, Dannon and Breyers yogurt cups make excellent 3in pots.
    I thought everyone knew that until at Xmas time I mentioned it to the SIL and said what are those cups good for? the recycle place doesn't even take them, they say they are garbage! Not to me, haven't bought 3in pots in years.

• ramazz
    15 years ago

I use cottage cheese containers as pots. Anything that looks like a pot turns into a pot at my house.

Becky

• retiredprof
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK, so while all you "healthy" people use yogurt and cottage cheese containers (alas, I eat neither), I did go to bed a happy man after all. Ahem.

Emptied the last half of the vodka (clear plastic 1.75 liter)into a canning jar and now have a perfect set-up. Of course, having a picnic table filled with vodka bottles growing spinach might cause a stir in the neighborhood!

Amazing what a vodka martini can do for creative problem-solving....

• dorisl
    15 years ago

VODKA comes in PLASTIC!?!?!
    I truly had no idea.....

:)

• token28001
    15 years ago

Yep. Look on the bottom shelf. It might even be sitting on the floor. ;)

• ajpa
    15 years ago

Newbie question -- would the plastic containers that strawberries are sold in be ok as is or do they have too many holes?
    (I mean the ones with lids ...googles a pic: http://community.kaboose.com/images/91442/Fruit_Container_with_Vent.jpg)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:352383}}

• gratefulgardener3300
    15 years ago

Ajpa, I tried a couple of these last year and they dried out quickly for me. My reasoning was that the drainage holes were not only on the bottom of the container but on the sides also. Maybe the wind was able to help dry the potting mix out. This is just my experience, maybe someone else has had better luck.

• seedmama
    15 years ago

ajpa. I handled 28,000 pints of strawberries two years ago, as part of my ELM (Extreme Lasagna Makeover). While this was going on, there was a very long thread here discussing whether or not these containers were suitable. Some said they were too shallow, some said they were deep enough. Some said they had too many holes, some said they didn't. Some said they would hold up over the course of winter, some said they wouldn't. I stayed out of it, doing my own thing and here's what I learned:

They were all right.

There are almost as many varieties of strawberry containers as there are people on this forum. Maybe more. Each has its unique traits regarding shape, type of plastic, perforation and durability. This fact makes your question nearly impossible to answer. Over time, I developed the ability to sort them by usefullness, basically into three piles. 1)Those that wouldn't work because the plastic degraded quickly, typically looking melted and mangled after just three days in the sun, 2) Those that wouldn't work because they were too shallow or had too many perforations, and 3) Those that were well suited for quick sprouting warm weather annuals.

The first two types I hauled to recycle. I gave away thousand of the third kind to local Master Gardeners, a local gardening forum and members of free cycle. I found the third type suitable for quick sprouting warm weather annuals because they did not require an extended period of moisture monitoring. Cucumbers, pumpkins, sunflowers and a few other things did quite well for me.

If you are going to use yours for winter sowing, test one first in the sun for a couple of days to see if it will "melt". If it doesn't melt, consider taping over some of the holes to hold in moisture.

Hope this helps.

Seedmama

• floodthelast
    15 years ago

I personally am using loads of 44oz plastic cups that I drank pop out of. Not the healthiest but I am getting five to six inches of soil depth per plant and a perforated clear lid.

butter tubs should work as well as some bakery containers. Hmm other unhealthy items to ws in, five gallon ice cream tubs are my fave.

• ajpa
    15 years ago

Thanks Seedmama! That's very helpful!

I think I will let these containers go in the recycle bin for now. I've never tried WS before, so I will try using proven containers and seeds for now.
    (There' s a gallon of milk in the fridge right now -- as soon as my kids get through with it I'm going to use it.)

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

For those of you who may have access to company functions, salad comes in these GREAT gigunta bowls that are perfect for WSing, as are giant lasagna/baking foil pans.

Got cake? Turn that birthday cake container upside down and use it.

Ice cream tubs & boxes are also perfect- the boxes don't break down, so they work for a season of WSing

Raiding the company kitchen trash is also a good source if you've got people who eat salad from the salad bars- the large-size containers are deep.

I've never used stryro clamshell takeout boxes, but they might (might) work. They might be a little shallow, but can't hurt to try.

Someone give you some leftovers to take home from a party in a Gladware or Dixie container? Those are a no brainer...LOL.

That's all I got for now.

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    15 years ago

"Turn that birthday cake container upside down and use it."

yes. When I realized this, I asked the bakery dept at my supermarket if they would save any for me. (Some get thrown out.)

Sometimes they will, sometimes not. Depends on who I ask and how busy they are.
    Also, yes have used the salad containers.
    Anything that comes with its own lid is a plus to me.

• teequiltbarbie
    15 years ago

What about using wax coated milk or juice containers (1/2 gal)for WS'ing. If the bottoms are poked for drainage and top covered with perf'd plastic sheeting/wrap, wouldn't that work too. We have way more of those than gallon milk jugs. What the opinion out there?

• austinnhanasmom
    15 years ago

((HUGS)) for this post!!

I had difficulty finding containers at the recycle centers so I posted on www.freecycle.org and I received a bunch of wonderful containers. Although I haven't been overwhelmed and I need more, the ones I've received are so nice!! THANKS!! The lady I picked them up from was thankful for me taking her trash:)) WIN WIN

• gardenpaws7
    15 years ago

A few years ago I worked in downtown Seattle, a coffee shop every 10 steps. I asked my favorite little spot if they would save a few plastic milk cartons for me. Within a week I had more than enough....but I must say there were a lot of questions on the bus about.. what are you going to do with all those milk cartons?
    So far I really like the salad containers the best, I asked to purchase some at a salad bar I went to on a regular basis and they just gave me what ever I needed.
    I haven't been able to winter sow much the last couple of years I am so excited to get started this year!

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm