Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_max

Sowing More than What you Need

mary_max
11 years ago

Do any of you sow a ton too many seeds. I just keep sowing and don't know where I will put this stuff. I always think what if something dies or tell myself its free since I collect the seeds from my garden. Cost only the potting soil which is starting to cost a lot more than it was a while back. :) Anyway do any of you sow then wonder what to do with all these babies. I hesitate to give away as most would never think these little babies could perform as well as they do.

Comments (6)

• jvdubb
    11 years ago

Well, this is my first year WSing. And I certainly sowed way more than I need. It will be interesting to see how it all turns out.

I have only been in this house for just over a year and have quite a bit of lawn. And I still have a little room in the existing beds. I have two new beds planned for this year.

Several people at work will be more than happy to take plants (they provided most of the jugs)and I have several neighbors that will also be happy to take some plants. I love to spread plant joy!

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

This my 3rd season WSing, I always think about this. I say to myself,"Just sprinkle a little and give the rest away in trades". However, I end up over sprinkling end up giving out plants to neighbors and relatives. And if that doesn't work I randomnly plant in areas where the soil is so clay compacted they do not survive.

"Overindulgence", what can I say?

• terrene
    11 years ago

This is my 6th year winter-sowing, and yes indeed, I sow more seeds and have more seedlings than I can plant EVERY year. The first year it was really bad! I had tons of seedlings leftover that ended up over-wintering the first winter. To be honest I have some a couple vines - Aristolochia/Dutchman's Pipevine - that are still in 1 gallon pots from my first year! Don't know where to plant them, and they are still alive.

I've gotten better at planting out the seedlings though. Also gotten a lot better at being ruthless and culling seedlings when there are too many.

That's one of the great things about winter-sowing - you can always sow more. :)

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

"Do any of you sow a ton too many seeds..."

ALWAYS!!!!

It's a curse. I just can't stop myself. I too think, what if they die? It will be too late to sow more in the spring. So do I sow one or two extra? No, I sow one or two more JUGS extra. Do I really need 3 dozen tomato plants? 50+ zinnia plants? 9 different kinds of marigolds? No. But you never know so you'd better sow a few more seeds...

So every spring, I give things away, trade them, and often end up dumping milk jugs of spent annuals into the compost in November - the poor things have spent their entire lives in the milk jugs on the driveway, miniature versions of themselves because they weren't given the room to grow as they should.

But I never learn... although, this year, I promised myself I would try to restrain myself...

;)
    Dee

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    11 years ago

Always sow too much, especially tomatoes because even after years of doing this I worry about the "what ifs..." I haven't had a lot of luck giving away the extras. Even though I live in a neighborhood where most of the lots are two acres, most don't do gardens, which is incredible to me -- how can you live without fresh tomatoes and cukes, and it's so much easier to walk out and pick them than to run to the local farm shop or grocery.

My new neighbor, from whom I'm getting most of my jugs, did put in a veggie garden last year. I'm hoping she'll take some of my orphan tomatoes, and will see if she wants anything else I might grow.

Caryl

• barbe_wa
    11 years ago

I give most of my extras away to various places - Freecycle, the local community gardens, a church vegetable plant giveaway day, plant swaps, donations to the Master Gardener spring plant sale,as well as friends and neighbors. Do I plant too much? Probably, but it's nice to have plants that make someone else's day and I get such joy from watching the little seeds grow.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz