Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Egg carton

Posted by KSimS 7b (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 26, 12 at 20:14

I haven't seen this mentioned so I thought I would ask. Has anyone tried using an egg crate for winter sowing? Cutting out the top, replacing with plastic and when they sprout and are ready to plant, break the sections apart and just plant? Would the material just start to disintegrate immediately, not making it a good container, or would it not decompose fast enough in the ground, therefore hurting the sprouts? It seems like a great idea but the fact that I don't remember seeing it mentioned makes me wonder...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Egg carton

I've used the egg carton for indoor sowing but found it wasn't deep enough and the roots had nowhere to grow. Ended up with tiny weak seedlings compared to the same seed in larger 3 inch peat pots.

o

I've tried the egg carton inside, and had the same results as beachgrub. Also, since my light set up is in the basement, I had a huge issue with mold. And after only a short while, they absorbed so much moisture that they began to fall apart when I tried to move them. I had to put them on a board to get them outside. Since they would be likely to get very wet during the spring thaw if outside, this might be a problem. If you're going to try it, I would suggest putting something under them to allow for you to move them without having them fall apart.

Hope this helps :-)

o

And such a small amount of soil dries too fast, especially in a warm zone. You'll be happier with your results if you use bigger, deeper containers with at least 3" of soil.

Karen

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 27, 12 at 0:16

Ditto what Karen said.

Much, much too small, too shallow for winter sowing.

o

• Posted by bakemom z6 Central Ohio (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 27, 12 at 6:28

too shallow.

o

Thanks everybody! It's nice getting so much quick useful feedback. I appreciate it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here