Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
micki777

will annual poppies reseed themselves?

micki
12 years ago

My neighbor said her poppies were already up from last years seeds and that was a month ago. I'm pretty sure heres are perennials.

has anyone had any luck with annual poppies reseeding themselves? There's a beautiful peach one I've got my eye on from Cheap seeds,

Thanks

Micki

Comments (11)

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Yep! I planted California poppies a couple years ago (my first year to WS) and haven't needed to plant them since. They do their thing and I let them. Even though I mulch with bark over cardboard, it doesn't seem to slow them down.

• barbe_wa
    12 years ago

Do they reseed? And how! Wow! But if it's a hybrid, it may not look like the parent. I'm like gardenweed and just let them do their thing. I weed out the ones in the wrong places and let the others go.

• pippi21
    12 years ago

I wintersowed Calif. poppies this past year and once they took, they have done well. In the Fall, I even transplanted some to another location. I left those as they were, didn't cut those or some other annuals back as an experiment to see if they will reseed and come back blooming in the Spring.
    The others were alyssum, and yarrow. My perennial oriental poppies have grown and looked good..I don't know what the 14 degree temps last night did to them though. Didn't think to check today but I know it killed the pansies, but I'm going to leave them too through the winter and see what happens.

• PoppyEmporium
    12 years ago

All annual poppies reseed themselves very well. When the pods dry out, they drop their seed in the wind or on the ground. You pretty much have to thin the poppy sprouts if they've reseeded under the parent.
    I like to transplant them from there, only when they're a few days old.
    Perennials reseed themselves also, but the plant itself will survive and grow year to year, giving you bigger blossoms each year.
    But if you're looking for seed quantities, ie; breadseeds, only the annuals will give you copious amounts of seed, often thousands per pod.

• terrene
    12 years ago

Well my Cal. poppies reseed profusely every year. I'm growing them along the edge of the driveway. Got them years ago at a local plant swap held by none other than winter-sower Littleonefb. I haven't had to sow them again since! I thin those a little, not too much though because they grow well in a HOS.

I direct-sowed the Breadseed poppies one year, and they did fabulous. Ended up thinning them twice, so they were about 4-6 inches apart. But they did not reseed - probably because I cut or pulled most of the plants (they got ratty).

• Rick (zone 6b, MA)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Just seeing this discussion five years later. Terene, I'm also in Massachusetts but in an even warmer zone than you, so if they reseed for you in 5B then I should be fine in 6B. I'd be thrilled as anything to see California poppy seedlings come up this spring after my beautiful crop last year.

• S M
    2 years ago

Hi Rick, I'm also in Massachusetts 6b, and I've been hoping that my breadseed poppies I sowed will grow. I can see a few germinated (in mid-April) from the packet; they aren't growing quickly, however and I wonder if they will make it. It is now almost May, and they are not much bigger. Did you sow yours from seed or does anyone else have experience sowing from seed in Massachusetts? Thanks in advance!

• Rick (zone 6b, MA)
    2 years ago

I’ve grown breadseed poppies from seed and they’ve done very well and have reseeded almost every year.

• S M
    2 years ago

Ok...I'm crossing my fingers. The seedlings are still tiny (May 11), but I can now count about five of them. Thanks for your helpful information. I will try to update if they work out for me in Massachusetts 6b.

• Patti Chicago Zone 5b/6a
    2 years ago

@S M try winter sowing them next year. I did this year for the first time and they came up great. I am planting them soon. We have been so cold I have been trying to wait until the soil can warm where I plan to put them. I hope they reseed too but if not I will direct seed around them so they fill in.