Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmqchdygg

What's the weirdest/oddest/unique thing you're WSing this season?

mmqchdygg
15 years ago

While in my search for the Cherry Brandy Ruds, I came across this...which I can't believe I actually bought, and am going to WS...I feel so dirty! What will my mother think? (lives next door)...

Giggling frantically over here with my hand over my mouth...tee hee...

Asclepias Physocarpa "Family Jewels Plant"

{{gwi:352629}}

Comments (150)

• jim_6b
    15 years ago

Thought I would contribute something. My wife hates them.
    Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:352626}}

• echinaceamaniac
    15 years ago

Ha! Over on the seed exchange forum someone is looking for the following...

wanted: eggplant, especially long Asian types

• token28001
    15 years ago

Jim, is that voodoo plant? I had some popping up at a house I rented years ago. Never could figure out where that smell was coming from every few days.

• kqcrna
    15 years ago

Did it smell fishy?

Karen

• token28001
    15 years ago

The voodoo plants in my yard smelled like rotting meat.

• seedmama
    15 years ago

Have you noticed the post count on this thread is rapidly gaining on the container count thread? What does that say about how Winter Sowers REALLY spend our winters?

• token28001
    15 years ago

Cabin fever. Nothing on tv. Been a long time....

• brandymulvaine
    15 years ago

Well seedmama, containers are basically all the same-not so for weirdest,oddest,unique....well, so far, body parts!!
    -B

• seedmama
    15 years ago

Has anyone contacted mims or ron? They need to get their heads in this game? Which other jug mongers have we not heard from?

• jim_6b
    15 years ago

Yes the common name is voodoo plant. The variety I grow is Dracunculus vulgaris. I also grow Amorphophallus konjac. The blooms smell like a dead animal and they are pollinated by flies and carrion beetles. I'm glad they don't smell like fish!
    Jim

• erinlisa
    15 years ago

"The Ballad of the Hoe"
    I am a Garden Hoe
    looking for a plant to "do"
    I came across some hairy balls
    and a Peter Pepper or Two!
    I was about to do my thing,
    I thought I had it made,
    Then along came a Clitoria Vine
    and my hopes began to fade....
    With that naughty vine
    I simply couldn't compete!
    I dragged myself away
    with thoughts of "hoeing"
    at my feet!

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

Alana, I am in Micyrey swap, and if you have any hairy balls left id love some for the caterpillars to nibble on..and I am going to do a "naughty bed"...I dont have small kids walking by, so I am gonna put it in an area where all the teens will get a laugh.

Oh, this thread has made my stomach hurt !! Thanks for sharing..your body parts with me...tee hee

• kqcrna
    15 years ago

Do any of you guys have to stake your peter peppers?

OK, girls, I imagine we lost a few guys with this one. They've passed out at the mere thought. Anybody have smelling salts?

Karen

• jim_6b
    15 years ago

I grew some once but they never got big enough to stake.
    Jim

• bigred
    15 years ago

Oh My,my,my! I'm away from this post for a day and it went to even more smut!

Hmmmm.....my daugter gave me her old bed head and foot board.There's angels on the headboard. Wonder where I can start me a naughty bed? My neighbors live for my antics so while they'd be shocked....they'd still be amused.

Now I gotta go find some seeds for more "naughty" plants.

My neighbor is the Chief of Police and tried to confiscate my bed of poppies and Tx. Red Star hibiscus one year....LOL

P

• echinaceamaniac
    15 years ago

I'm giving friends a peter pepper plant this spring, but I'm just telling them it's a pepper plant. LOL. They'll never know what hit 'em.

• nancy_drew
    15 years ago

My goodness... this thread has taken on a life of it's own.

It reminds me of my favorite quote:

"You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think."
    ~Dorothy Parker

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

Erinlisa, what a wonderful poem !!

This has sure been SOME entertainment, best Ive had in years...LOL

• brandymulvaine
    15 years ago

How about this?
    {{gwi:352639}}
    Does anyone know what it is? No, not Elephant balls!!
    -B

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hairy Balls with a serious social disease?

• lgslgs
    15 years ago

Yhat's osage orange, isn't it?

• donn_
    15 years ago

Yup...specifically the fruit of the Osage Orange. It's a Hedge Apple. Maclura pomifera is it's Latin name. It's one of the hardest woods native to North America, and, in my opinion one of the most beautiful woods.

• brandymulvaine
    15 years ago

Yep! Osage Orange. We called them hedge apples, They can be used to repel crickets and other creepy crawlies, the wood doesn't rot and can be used to cook with- very useful tree!
    -B

• kqcrna
    15 years ago

Tsk! Fancy words. They're monkey balls, anyone from Pittsburgh must know that. Monkey balls are common ammunition for kid battles.See http://www.post-gazette.com/magazine/20000902monkeyballs6.asp

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: recent WS thread

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

I keep coming back to this thread to see what a debauchery this has turned into! You all are too funny : )
    It made me think of the funniest thread ever. It was a really old one that all the old timers will remember dubbed "Dog in Elk". I went searching on google for it, and found it in the middle of a long thread, so I copied and pasted it to an old thread of someone searching for it. Like you need to know all that! Anyway read the link for a good laugh.
    Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Dog in Elk

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OMG Remy- that takes the cake! The visual...the poor woman...dogs in (rib)cages with feet through ribs coordinating an attack on the homeowner in their trek across the yard...sleeping dogs in carcasses...OMG was that hilarious!

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

Oh, Monkey Ball fights !!!!!!!!!!! I am from da burgh and proud of it !!!!!!!!!!!

I am gonna have to look for some when I come home this summer...Thanks for the memories.

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

OH MY GOODNESS Remy, Thanks for that...I remember reading her post back then, it was funny and it is STILL funny, albeit I am sure it wasn't for her, but this one is classic!

Although I am sure those were the weirdest things in HER yard...EVER lol.

:) Fran

• greengardener07
    15 years ago

WOW! This thing is still going?????

Family Jewels plant, Peter Peppers, Monkey Balls, using a bush to cover the family jewels plant! What next?

Who knew gardeners could be dirty? Get it?

Oh, I got it! Anyone got a picture of cockscomb to post?

• gardencrazy
    15 years ago

I have a question??? Are these peter peppers edible???? I think they are hot???

and are the hairy balls just for decoration???

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

*I'm* not going to answer the Peter Pecker Pepper question, but originally I was growing the HBs for novelty only, but now that I know they are butterfly plants, that's a priority as well, so I'm glad to see that they are actually useful.

• jim_6b
    15 years ago

Yes you can and yes they are.
    Jim

• lblack61
    15 years ago

( you all are making me laugh so hard....my husband must think I'm crazy. I'll have to make him read this posting).

On the Peter peppers...
    Totally Tomatoes has them in their catalog. They say they are excellent for chili powder, but they don't say how hot the pepper is. I'm assuming it is a milder pepper, but a hotter when allowed to mature to red. It's not in the sweet pepper category.

(Whew. I actually got through that without any untoward comment. Doesn't mean I wasn't thinking any...)

Linda

• kqcrna
    15 years ago

Good heavens, the lines just keep *coming*.
    They won't stop in my brain.

So, are your peppers sweet or hot?
    Do you ever have to cage them?

I think I've lost my taste for peppers.

Karen

• Julie
    15 years ago

Oh Remy!! My fave post of all time! I have shared that one around for a while now- Always a great one for a laugh! Thanks again for revisiting that thread!

So here I thought I was going to see who was going to start one plant I have always wanted to try....
    Ya gotta love them Solanum...

Here is a link that might be useful: Nipple Fruit

• jim_6b
    15 years ago

That just don't look right.

• kqcrna
    15 years ago

I think some of those look more like animals than nipples. I see some teddy bears, a Mickey Mouse. I think it's really a gardener's Rorschach test. Jim sees nipples, I see Mickey. I rest my case.

Karen

• lblack61
    15 years ago

Nipple-fruit...They look like udders (multi-nipples)

Jim
    On Dranuculus...I love them. I want some in my yard. I snatched seeds for them while I was at the Farmers Market this summer, deadheading plants in between shopping for berries. I'm going to WS them. Got my fingers crossed that I get sprouts.

Linda

• sewobsessed
    15 years ago

And I see Peeps!
    You know - those yucky sugar coated marshmallow blobs shaped like chicks. ~shiver~

Oh, Lordy. What does that say about me...
    :(

• shoregrowin
    15 years ago

Ha Ha, when I read your post Sewobsessed- I read this:
    "yucky sugar coated marshmallow BOOBS shaped like chicks"!
    It's been a long day... is it cocktail hour yet?
    BTW- Happy Belated Birthday!

Great thread Karen, I have been enjoying much needed laughter!

Shore

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nine...

• sewobsessed
    15 years ago

Shore,
    Ha! I guess gardening can get you into more than one 'sticky' situation?
    And thanks for the Bday wishes!

If anyone is really planning on growing all of these, well, lets just say there better be some pictures forthcoming this summer.
    :)

• chantal_s
    15 years ago

You all realize this must be the longest thread in gardenforum history? LMAO

• seedmama
    15 years ago

{{gwi:352641}}

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Five...

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

four...

• mmqchdygg