Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I winter sow these seeds?

Posted by gr8heather 6b (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 27, 13 at 20:26

It has been snowing all day, there is probably about 4 feet outside, the most I have ever seen here! Annnd... I just learned about winter sowing for the first time today :) So, what can I plant, and when? I'd like to try the following, what is a good idea, and what isn't?

Sunflower
Pansy
Celery
Balloon Flower
Tomato
Carrot
cucumber
balsam
chives

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I winter sow these seeds?

Oh and poppies!

o

Just hold off until spring for the sunflowers & chives. Everything can be sowed.

o

I wouldn't sow the cucumber seeds yet. They are fast germinators and the little seedlings would probably freeze before warm weather. I just wait and direct sow them when the ground is warm enough.

o

Celery is such a fast germinator that I would wait about four more weeks or so so that it doesn't germinate in a warm week only to freeze off when it get cold again.

o

What Barbe said about cukes -- they're better sowed directly once it gets warm. Everything else can be done now.

Caryl

o

I got balsam this year too. I was wondering when to sow. So I guess I will do some later this week when I do my next batch of WSing

o

I am not sure of wsing results for all of these, but I direct sow Cucumbers, carrots, and many other veggies. Tomatoes I wait until early Spring to sow as they are heat-lovers and don't need any cold stratification, although they can be sown earlier.

Chives should probably do fine WSing, because I've ws'n ornamental onion (Allium cernuum, nodding onion) and it worked good. Now it reseeds itself!

Sunflowers I go either way, in cups or direct sow - they're very easy to germinate, the problem I have with Sunflowers is keeping them going in the garden! ALL MANNER of pesky critters go after my Sunflowers! 2 years ago, a Robin pulled up ALL of seedlings (not really sure why??). Last year I had 2 layers of barriers around them (hardware cloth and fence wire) to keep 1/2 of them alive! Something chewed the base of the stalks and pulled 1/2 of them over.

Rabbits, Woodchucks, Deer, squirrels...Sunflowers must be a gourmet item even before they make flowers and seeds, LOL.

o

Last year whatever ate my bishop's lace totally ignored the sunflowers growing right next to it. No accounting for taste I guess. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here