Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stratification question

Posted by saponaria 7a (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 20, 12 at 20:29

My echinacea specifically says it needs stratification. Now it's been a really warm winter here. Crazy warm. My seeds will get cool weather outside but I doubt there will be much freezing weather. Will that be enough? A handful of frosts over the next 6 or 7 weeks? I'm only about 6 or 7 weeks out from the last spring frost the last few years. And this year is the warmest winter I can ever recall. So what say ye? Stratify inside for a while or just wintersow and stick it outside and hope for the best?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stratification question

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 20, 12 at 23:10

40F and moist part of the hours in a calendar day, as nights, is cold enough. If you were stratifying indoors, you would be using your refrigerator which is approx 40F, not freezing. With some seeds, the fluctuating temps between day and night can help to encourage germination.

o

I'd put them outside.

Martha

o

A friend of mine started Echinacea under her grow light last year with no cold stratification at all and had good germination from what I can remember. Don't think you will have any problems setting them outside now, even if you don't get much more cold weather. ;-)
CMK

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 23, 12 at 14:25

I've started them inside with no pre treatment too and had good germination but seed was fresh. For most types echinacea, the general suggestion is a brief moist chill if reluctant to sprout. E. paradoxa and tennesseensis may do better if kept warm and moist 3-4 weeks, then chilled, then warm again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here