Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northforker

Finally did up some jugs!!!

northforker
12 years ago

Today was my first WSing day of the season and it was FUN!

I had all my milk/water jugs from previous seasons brought in from the shed, promix in a big tub in the kitchen sink, and lots of trays to place the finish jugs in to move outside (trays catch the drips!). I've learned quite a bit about how to do this neatly through trial and error, that's for sure. Last night I made "3 part groupings" - outside label (on backed foil tape), inside label on a V. blind and seed pack and lined them up in a loaf pan. I was able to do up about 30 jugs starting at 1:30pm till dinner time.

Here is what I got done. The ones with stars are new to me and I'd love to hear from you if you have had wsing success.

Alstroemeria Dr. Salters Hybrids *

Amaranth Red Hopi

Columbine "Nora Barlow" mix

Coneflower y/o/pink

Daisy Kelway Margarite

Delphinium "Butterfly mixed" (2)

Dianthus Tele Star Burgundy

Dianthus Dk Rose

Echinacea "Kim�s Knee High" *

Ephorbia "Snow on the Mountain"

Foxglove "straw" butter yellow *

Foxglove "Spanish Peaks" short *

Gaillardia "Mesa" bright bi-color

Gaillardia "Tokajer"

Huechera Root Beer foliage/Wt. blooms

Lychnis "Ragged Robin" *

Lady�s Mantle

Love Lies Bleeding

Obedient "Crystal Peak"

Penstemon "Violet Dusk"

Phlox pink

Rose Campion (2)

Rudbeckia Cappuccino *

Salva "New Dimension Blue" (2)

Shasta daisy dwarf

Sidalcea "Rosanna"

Toad Flax pinks/purples *

Verbascum "Katies Candles Mix "

Total: 31

Nancy

Comments (9)

• msmashy
    12 years ago

Wow! That is quite a list! Where are you planning to plant them all? Planning any planters? Or only garden beds?

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Interesting list. I have sown many of the same ones or different varieties. If you haven't sown linaria (toad flax) be sure to plant it out in HOS as the individual plants are very thin and spindly seedlings. The Northern Lights variety are a favorite and I now pick the stems in the fall and hit them on the ground (self sowing) where I want new plants the next year instead of winter sowing.

• northforker
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, I hadn't yet done all the "looking up" I will do and I didn't know that toad flax was linaria! Thanks mnwsgal! I've had a liniara in the past - heavens something? and really liked it! Actually I think there is a small patch that must reseed itself still there.

I love this adventure called WSing - always a surprise. I am hopeful about the alstromeria as I've had it brought to me as cut flowers and it lasts and lasts in the vase. I came to WSing as a way to get constant bouquets of fresh flowers all season long and it hasn't disappointed. I give many away, bring a bunch into the office every week from June- October and still have tons.

As to where in the world I will plant them all...it's getting harder! I will have one new spot; we had a large tree (that was half dead and leaning towards the house..) cut down and I plan to put a half barrel planter (large wine barrel) on its sawed off flat to the ground stump. Let's see...that will hold maybe 3 jugs of something. Hey, it's a start....

• msmashy
    12 years ago

I am really curious what everyone does with so many plants. Especially folks with multiple hundreds of containers. I have 37 done and probably will do about the same amount more and I know I am going to end up giving tons away!

Michelle

• barbe_wa
    12 years ago

I go to a lot of plant swaps from Portland, OR to north of Seattle, and I give away bunches. I just enjoy planting and growing and generally making the whole world a prettier place. At least that's what my DH says - that I'm trying to grow enough to fill up the whole west coast! :)

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Nan, I hear you about getting harder to find places to put plants. We took out two apple trees so will have room this year for some of the ones that are waiting in holding beds. I keep telling myself I'm only going to sow annuals which need to be replaced every spring. But then I see a new perennial which I would like or decide that I can use more of the plant that I sowed last year or the year before since they did so well in my gardens.

I have done many hundreds of containers some years. After the first year I learned to sow seeds sparingly so I didn't have so many seedlings to find homes. Some of my extras go to swaps, some go to friends, some are sold, and some I grow for other family members' gardens. Visitors are delighted when I pull plants in pots from my holding beds to send home with them. And some eventually end up in the compost pile.

• beachgrub
    12 years ago

Congrats on getting your hands in the dirt - there's just something strangely magical about it eh?! I'm still at 82 containers and waiting for DH to give me the go-ahead to buy more potting soil. I'm adding a huge bed this year - probably 12' x 90' running down one side of my property so will do MANY more jugs!

• PVick
    12 years ago

I haven't done any containers yet, but was looking at my pile of 1/2 gallon milk jugs this morning and thinking I'd better toss some of them, since I wasn't really planning on sowing too much this year. Then, Nany, you go and post that lovely list of things you've sown, and I'm second-guessing myself!

So, I'm off to the planning board! I'll get a few jugs sown this weekend.

PV

• northforker
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Now pvick, you know you can't toss those jugs! Think of the poor newbies in _____, dumpster diving for their jugs. You have a moral obligation to put some babies in them (smile)

Yeah, every year I say I am going to do less (and maybe I will this year) but it's too hard. I participate in both the WSing swap and the big "Back to school" swap in the fall, and all these exciting new (to me) seeds come my way and get me all goo goo eyed for their flowers in the mix out there. The severe lack of available real estate is going to be a problem but I guess I'll just double up my "shoving trays of "hOS's"" at folks and begging them to plant the babies and give them a new home.

Nancy

Sponsored