Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what to do with the white milk jugs

Posted by Micki777 6 PA (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 8, 12 at 20:43

oops on the caps.
I have about 20 white milk jugs and thought I could sow in them but take the tops off in the Spring, I don't know, of just use the bottoms and cover with plastic that had holes in it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what to do with the white milk jugs

Throw the cap away and leave the hole open! It needs to be left open when they go outside.

o

Are you unclear on taking the caps off of milk jugs in general or are you asking specifically if you should do something different with white milk jugs. This is my 3rd year WSing and I have seen zero difference in sowing with whtie vs. clear milk jugs. And, of course, you always remove the caps.

o

You're kidding, Bookjunky, thats what I needed to hear, cause I'm running out of containers.

Right on, right on right on!
micki

o

I generally don't need them for WS but I keep them to use for my pauper's drip irrigation system:

> poke a pinhole an inch from the bottom opposite the handle
> set the jug at the base of the plant
> fill jug with the hose

Water pours out the pinhole slowly, hydrating the plant right at the base so no water is wasted on foliage or mulch. Once the level drops below the pinhole, remaining water holds the jug in place against the wind. Plant foliage hides the jug (mostly) from critical prying eyes.

o

• Posted by bakemom z6 Central Ohio (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 9, 12 at 14:10

for solid white, i remove the top, put a clear piece of pierced saran wrap over the top and tape it on. i generally dont use them for ws.

o

Just as bookjunky said, tops off and use the white jugs along with clear jugs. I normally have 90% clear vs white, but that's just the way it works out from where we get milk. This will be my 9th year wsing and no difference here in germination. I was hesitant the 1st year, but used them and have ever since - can't let a jug go unused!

o

Thanks all for your responses. I try to use clear most of the time and sometimes bypass a white jug. I collect containers every two weeks on recycle day. By the end of that period I'm down to white jugs and other containers that are of different shapes. I'm glad I asked because I run out of containers and have left behind many of white jugs in the recycle bin. A couple nights ago hoping not to run out again I picked up everything white, clear and even the quart milk jug containers. I also have a huge selection of other clear and opaque containers. I found the Kitty Litter container everyone is talking about. I also use OJ containers and salad containers and many many more. I'm sure not to run out this next two weeks.
And thanks Gardenweed for the drip irrigation system idea, I clipped it and saved it to my clippings.
Happy sowing everyone,
When is Winter really going to start?
Lots of rain today in the NE but no snow to talk about.

o

gardenweed
It's nice to know there's nothing new under the sun! I was planning on using this method this yearexcept I have been saving all my large laundry soap jugs and bleach bottles for it.
Wish me luck, in our KS wind I think the heavier bottles will work best for me,I may even get some gravel to add to them to help keep them in place. any thoughts?
Thanks
Gwen

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 16, 12 at 1:43

Gwen, there some ideas other than rock in this thread concerning wind....

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous thread, wind

o

I cut them up for plant tags.

Write on them with wax pencil (from the plumbing department)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here