Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
micki777

what to do with the white milk jugs

micki
12 years ago

oops on the caps.

I have about 20 white milk jugs and thought I could sow in them but take the tops off in the Spring, I don't know, of just use the bottoms and cover with plastic that had holes in it.

Comments (10)

• aquawise
    12 years ago

Throw the cap away and leave the hole open! It needs to be left open when they go outside.

• micki
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You're kidding, Bookjunky, thats what I needed to hear, cause I'm running out of containers.

Right on, right on right on!
    micki

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

I generally don't need them for WS but I keep them to use for my pauper's drip irrigation system:

> poke a pinhole an inch from the bottom opposite the handle
    > set the jug at the base of the plant
    > fill jug with the hose

Water pours out the pinhole slowly, hydrating the plant right at the base so no water is wasted on foliage or mulch. Once the level drops below the pinhole, remaining water holds the jug in place against the wind. Plant foliage hides the jug (mostly) from critical prying eyes.

• bakemom_gw
    12 years ago

for solid white, i remove the top, put a clear piece of pierced saran wrap over the top and tape it on. i generally dont use them for ws.

• sandysgardens
    12 years ago

Just as bookjunky said, tops off and use the white jugs along with clear jugs. I normally have 90% clear vs white, but that's just the way it works out from where we get milk. This will be my 9th year wsing and no difference here in germination. I was hesitant the 1st year, but used them and have ever since - can't let a jug go unused!

• micki
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all for your responses. I try to use clear most of the time and sometimes bypass a white jug. I collect containers every two weeks on recycle day. By the end of that period I'm down to white jugs and other containers that are of different shapes. I'm glad I asked because I run out of containers and have left behind many of white jugs in the recycle bin. A couple nights ago hoping not to run out again I picked up everything white, clear and even the quart milk jug containers. I also have a huge selection of other clear and opaque containers. I found the Kitty Litter container everyone is talking about. I also use OJ containers and salad containers and many many more. I'm sure not to run out this next two weeks.
    And thanks Gardenweed for the drip irrigation system idea, I clipped it and saved it to my clippings.
    Happy sowing everyone,
    When is Winter really going to start?
    Lots of rain today in the NE but no snow to talk about.

• gwen49
    12 years ago

gardenweed
    It's nice to know there's nothing new under the sun! I was planning on using this method this yearexcept I have been saving all my large laundry soap jugs and bleach bottles for it.
    Wish me luck, in our KS wind I think the heavier bottles will work best for me,I may even get some gravel to add to them to help keep them in place. any thoughts?
    Thanks
    Gwen

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

Gwen, there some ideas other than rock in this thread concerning wind....

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous thread, wind

• dorisl
    12 years ago

I cut them up for plant tags.

Write on them with wax pencil (from the plumbing department)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert