Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Impatiens

Posted by mary_max 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 16, 13 at 21:01

With the problems I have been reading about impatiens last season I am asking myself if I should even bother to sow the seeds that I bought at the end of the summer. Was this just a one time problem or will impatiens be a problem this year too? I have never used this flower but found a ton of seeds on sale last fall and thought it might be fun to try with my winter sowing? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Impatiens

I've read that the fungus can remain in soil for years, which leads me to think that the disease might be around for a while. If your neighbor has it, the organism can blow into your yard...

But remember, not everybody gets it. I grew impatiens last year, in fact I have at least a few every year, without infection yet. Many of my neighbors grow them.

But, I always sow them inside under lights, not wintersown, or I buy a few 6 packs at a local nursery. They usually don't do that well for me because I don't water the thirsty little things often enough in our hot, hot summers.

Karen

o
RE: Impatiens

In my experience, Zone 5 stays cold too long to really WS impatiens, other than the more native types. The seed really isn't winter hardy and by the time you can WS outside (May) it takes all summer for them to bloom. Just my humble opinion!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here