Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hot and cold-zone 8ish

Posted by nancyjane_gardener USDA 8ish No CA (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 26, 13 at 21:03

I'm in No CA where our temps vary widely! We've had 2-3 weeks of below freezing temp which is very unusual, then we are up to 70*, then down, then up etc!
I've found several things such as water bottles (from freecycle) to try WSing this year. I plan to start tomorrow.
My last date of frost is April 15th, but I'm determined to get things planted earlier with WOWs and milk jugs to cover.
From reading here I'm not going to WS fast growers such as beans/squash etc.
How does the hot and cold factor into WSing? Do I have to move or shade the containers on sunny days as you would with a cold frame? Do I want the containers in part shade?
I am a newbe at this. I've tried starting under lights, but had one of the lights exploded and that was the end of that!
Buying all starts is expensive! I have a free seed bank I can go to each month.
NOW is the time to start! Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hot and cold-zone 8ish

Nancy, I think you will be fine, just put the containers in a shaded area. I believe other sowers in your zone will give you the best advice. I'm in zone 6b and I have sprouts! Crazy weather!

o

Ladyrose, when did you first sow and what sprouts do you have? You're in NJ, right? My first seeds went out on the 16th and it's been cold so I'm pretty sure I have no sprouts yet.

Nancy, there are quite a few NC growers on here and they could better advise you, but if you're using the small water bottles, be prepared to water. I've tried them and found they dry out faster than bigger containers like milk jugs.

Caryl

o

I sowed in Jan, I have borage, swamp milkweed and Snowy Goldeneye sprouts.

o

I have large 5 gallon water bottles that will hold about 8 small pots each. I also have a few 2 gallon jars. Nancy

o

We all get these wild weather swings. Usually, it's not too much problem. I wait to sow my annuals until spring or very close to spring.

I finally sowed my first 5 jugs of the year today. Temps are in the 50s today, tomorrow. Wednesday, it gets into the 60s, then thunderstorms, with temps dropping to 25 by overnight. Then it's going to snow. And that's all in one day. ;-)

Karen

o

Hi Everyone,

I sowed cherry tomatoes last week and will put out a variety of veggies this week. The only flowers I will be sowing will be moon flowers and Gerber daisy.
This is my first attempt at WSing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here