Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bev2009

WS Demonstration

bev2009
9 years ago

Hello everyone, I haven't posted in quite a while, but I see familiar names that are still active. I was asked to do a couple of WS demos this Saturday for our Master Garden Garden Show, where we've had up to 2,000 attend. I'll probably only have about 12 at each demo, there is a lot going on at one time. One of the Master Gardeners knew I've filled my gardens with WSing and I've always tried to share it with anyone who would listen.

I've been busy readying past posts to brush up on WSing, as I haven't done anything in a couple of years. I plan on doing a bunch of veggies and some annuals this year for myself. I pretty much have all the perennials I want at this time.

I've got a few pics from when my WSing, but didn't know if it was OK to capture other people's pics to print and display. I'm not selling anything, but want to do things properly. I'm looking for different containers and systems people use.

If I can use you pic, please post it and I'll save to use.

I remember a pic from a long time ago of one of the ladies placing Styrofoam cups into plastic bins. I never understood it, but I don't believe she put drainage holes in the bins or holes in the top.

Thanks for your help. I look forward to sharing this will as many people as I can on Saturday.l

Comments (13)

• pugetsoundgardener
    9 years ago

My dog "helping" with my winter sowing. I use spinach containers because that's what I have. Not a lot of headroom in these, but the weather is pretty mild here in the Seattle area so I plan to just open the tops once the sprouts need more headroom.

• bev2009
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the pic, pugetsoundgardener . I'll print a copy for my poster. Cute helper.

• beesneeds
    9 years ago

I got a series of pics I took today that I can share. Right now I have mostly kitty litter jugs up with a few milk jugs...

• beesneeds
    9 years ago

What those jugs look like from the porch... When they start sprouting, some of the jugs on top will be put onto the shelf below.

• beesneeds
    9 years ago

And a nice pic of what they look like before they get taped up and put outside.. That's Nova in the background making the pic look better :) I have a tendency to leave the caps on my jugs till the are done and ready to go out, but I do take the caps off when I put them out.

• bev2009
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, I'll use all these. I like the vertical arrangement.

• PVick
    9 years ago

BeesNeeds, that is a really neat setup!

PV

• PVick
    9 years ago

Hi Bev!

I haven't WSed in a few years, but here are a couple pics to show how it can be done on a balcony:

{{gwi:2121413}}

and

{{gwi:2121414}}

And for good measure, a pic of sprouts!

{{gwi:2121415}}

I'm starting to get the bug again - gotta sow something soon!

PV

• bev2009
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the pics, PV. I remember you from back when I was posting. Doing this demo has really given me the itch, too. I'll be able to get seeds at the show on Saturday and I can't wait to sow.

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    9 years ago

Bev,

Was it me who did them in cups?

I don't have a pic of the before when they were covered with a dollar store clear shower liner. I would poke a hole over each cup and put slits for drainage in the bottom liner.

This post was edited by ishareflowers on Fri, Jan 23, 15 at 18:15

• molanic
    9 years ago

May be too late, but here are a couple of my pics.

First using vinegar jugs (thicker and sturdier than milk jugs) with hole and twistie tie closure, no tape. I used handles to tie them together for stability and hold lids open on warms days.
    {{gwi:2121416}}

My new favorite is quart yogurt tubs with thick clear plastic put under a cut-out lid. I start out with ~1/4" holes in the clear plastic, and then can stretch them into bigger wholes as it gets warmer, before actually removing them. The tubs are easier to plant out of than jugs, just like a nursery pot. They are also easier to clean and stack for storing for re-use next year. All plastic containers seems to get very brittle and can completely shatter after a few seasons outside, so when re-using containers give them a little squeeze to make sure they aren't getting brittle and crack before using them again.
    {{gwi:2121417}}

For plant tags I cut the yogurt cups into strips and write on them with a fade resistant "garden marker". These plant tags are flexible and less brittle than store bought ones I tried first. All the store bought ones shattered into little pieces within 1 year outside.

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    9 years ago

another view, these ones were paced in a small greenhouse uncovered. I would throw snow on them when it snowed, worked great!

• bev2009
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great pics and ideas, Ishareflowers and molanic. I already got everything printed, but I imagine I'll be put on the speakers' list after this and those are great pics I can add.

I've come down with a cold and fever, so I am hoping I can make it after all this effort.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area