Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
littlemother_gw

Advice for a new Missourian and a newbie gardener?

littlemother
11 years ago

Hello everyone! I found this forum searching the web for gardening advice for Missouri. I'm new to the area and we want to have a large garden this year. I'm interested in winter sowing because I did not do well trying to start seed indoors year before last. I don't know what grows well here or when to plant things in general for my area and am not even sure what my area is exactly and am finding contradictory information online. Anyone know of a good place to go for sound information and help finding exactly what my area is? Does anyone know of someone with time on their hands that likes to pass on gardening wisdom to newbies? Thanks so much!

Comments (10)

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    11 years ago

Welcome littlemother, where are you in Missouri. There is more than one climate zone. Try this link.

http://extension.missouri.edu/e.

• jvdubb
    11 years ago

I found a ton of helpful advice on the FAQ section of this forum and at Wintersown.org

• littlemother
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am in the southwest corner outside of Marionville, but I guess I am considered Northern Missouri by climate?

I found the FAQ for winter sowing and it sure does look to have a ton of advice!

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    11 years ago

littlemother, I am in Springfield and I think both of us are considered a little more north climate because of the plateau we are on. Glad you found some good advise on the FAQ section. Keep researching and always feel free to ask questions on here. A lot of experienced folk are more than willing to help.

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

Welcome Littlemother, if you do searches, there is also great information on past postings. They help a lot.

• latebloomerz6
    11 years ago

Littlemother, welcome to Missouri. I am a newbie to wintersowing so I am unable to give you any advice, but there is lots of help on this forum. I agree with Dirtguy that the University of Missouri Extension is the best place to get the information you desire. It is sometimes overwhelming, though, because it is so extensive. They have a Vegetable Planting Calendar (8 pages) for $1.00 which I feel would be very helpful to you. #G6201 muextension.missouri.edu Also, get acquainted with your county extension office. They are great at answering questions and will research to find answers for you.

If you are interested in native plants check out Grownative.org for lots of valuable info. For Mo. native seeds and plants you can't go wrong with Missouri Wildflower Nursery in Jefferson City.

• littlemother
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone! I did go to the extension web site and my husband printed off all the veggie sheets we are interested in planting this year. I will follow their planting times. I think I'll do both starting some seeds indoors and try it again as well as start some the winter sowing method.

It seems both places, extension and the FAQ, are a wealth of info, as well as searching on here. I hope I can find the time to research!! I really wish my grandmother was still alive so she could teach me about gardening. She was known for her fabulous green thumb, which I did not inherit, lol. I have a knack for doing things wrong and learning the hard way, but I am determined to have a big garden, we need the safe and good food from it and I have always wanted to have a big garden so we could can our own food from.

I find it hard to learn from reading. It seems to bring up more new questions for me that I have to go looking for that answer for and spend all my time researching rather than doing. I hope to make some connections as we get to know others in our community and maybe meet someone who gardens that I can learn from. In the meantime, I'll be reading on here!! Thanks again for the suggestions!

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

I lived in St. Louis for eight years. The most important thing for me about MO gardening was learning the last frost date and first frost date. Because I was used to MN starting and ending dates I missed a whole year of gardening thinking that I moved too late to plant that first year. My MO years were spent raising kids with only a few veggies in my garden. Also they were before I learned about winter sowing. If you visit SL be sure to go to the MO Botanical Garden, another good site for info both online and in their demonstration gardens.

I have found that plant swaps are a good place to meet other local gardeners who are welcoming of new gardeners and willing to share their experiences. Nothing like having a nearby garden buddy to learn about a new environment.

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    11 years ago

littlemother, a recent garden aquaintence sent me this on another forum about an upcoming gardeners meeting in Springfield.
    "If you are on Facebook go to Springfield Organic Gardening Club. I will make sure from now on that a reminder is put on the group page pryor to the meetings. The meeting is held monthly on the 4th thursday at 7pm at the library center on S Campbell. "
    Just thought I would pass it on since you are so close.

• nancyjane_gardener
    11 years ago

LM- please don"t go huge too fast! It can be overwhelming! A garden can be a LOT of work if you start big!
    Think about what you really "need" to start! For me it was tomatoes.
    Go with your extension office recomendations. Choose a few things to grow, such as tomatoes, peppers, zuccini
    and eggplant. make a bed for that, then start planning for your fall crop. I usually only have about 2 beds for winter (lettuce, radish, broccoli, beets, leeks, garlic)
    HA! Now start planning for next spring's garden
    Do you want more than last summer's stuff... cukes, onions, garlic and more? NOW's the time to start figuring things out!
    Good luck and good gardening! Nancy

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm