Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan_the_mailman

Ever W/S corn?

dan_the_mailman
12 years ago

I've really got a hankering for some sweet corn, and if I can get a jump on the harvest, I'll do it! So, has anyone ever had success winter sowing sweet corn? If so, any tips? Or did you just do it the old way and eat your corn in July?

Happy Jugs To All!!!

-Dan

p.s. I can plant the corn in milk jugs outside in the weather, or put the jugs in my unheated 5'x5' greenhouse.

Comments (7)

• donn_
    12 years ago

I think if you WS Corn, the kernels will swell, burst and rot before they ever germinate. Corn begins to germinate at 50F and really takes off at 60F, soil temperature.

I've started it indoors, in cell packs, and transplanted the seedlings in April. It can knock a few weeks off the waiting time, but that's about it.

• ymaddox
    12 years ago

i agree direct sow corn...who wants to plant each plant of corn or at least for me i plant 3 or 4 rows so that would be a pain :)

• barbe_wa
    12 years ago

I spring sow my corn in early May using the winter sowing method. Here in the wet Northwest the soil doesn't get warm enough or dry enough for direct sowing until late June or July, and besides that, if I do get germination by direct sowing, the crows get it as soon as it sticks its nose out. Anyway, spring sowing works well for me.

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It sounds like my best bet would be to germinate it a little early here in the house, and add those extra few weeks to my growing season. I like in a trailer park here in Northern Michigan, and I don't always get all the sun that's needed to get a good crop of corn. I'll only be planting about 50 or so plants, so planting them individually will be no problem. Actually, it'd be nice to look outside after planting, and see the corn coming up out of the ground! How cool would that be?
    I'm going with the "3 Sisters" approach this coming summer, planting the corn, beans, and squash in the same holes.
    Dan

• ymaddox
    12 years ago

interesting dan can you tell me more about the 3 sisters method?

barbe sounds like under your conditions that is the only way to get corn at a decent time. guess i sometimes take things for granted...my garden grows corn like crazy, its tomato's that i have had trouble with in this zone. i dont have a problem getting tomato's but never enough to can like i want to do...planted two years in a row and they seem to be coming on but late in the year long after my other garden things i can are about done. usually over the garden by then and there is just never enough to juice :( been planting rutgers to juice and other varieties to eat on, but none seem to come on like gang busters like i need them to.

• donn_
    12 years ago

Wikipedia has a nice brief description of Three Sisters planting...how and why.

Here is a link that might be useful: Three Sisters

• dorisl
    12 years ago

For me, personally, corn is NOT worth growing in my garden. The squirrels and birds just dig it up and eat it ASAP. If a few do make it, the earwigs kill it or the squirrels ruin it.

It was a BIG WASTE for me. YMMV

Sponsored