Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need help with a seed id

Posted by rbrady 5/Eastern Ia (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 18, 12 at 23:09

I wintersowed these seeds and was wondering if anyone recognizes them? It is a funny story fitting for the "you know your addicted posts". My mother went for a Sunday drive a couple weeks ago and came upon an area that had a Kentucky Coffee tree. She wanted some of the pods so we stopped to collect them. As we were searching for pods on the ground she found these seeds. Needless to say they have passed through some animals digestive track. I still chuckle to myself when I think we picked up poop for the seeds. Anyway, they are hard and red and we found them in Illinois on the roadside. The area is mostly farmland with patches of vegetation (hedgerows).

Thanks for the help!

Rhonda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need help with a seed id

Could they be rose hips?

Don

o

Hi Rhonda,

IMO those are too small to be KCT seeds but in case they are you need to get the tough outer covering off for it to germinate. I knicked mine all over with little hacksaw cuts (I used a clamp as well) and repeated soaked them in hot water. It took perhaps two weeks to get the coating off all of them, it's like they are shrink wrapped in #1 plastic. The seeds swell wherever the water can soak in, by the time you get most of the coating off it's about the size of a extremely lumpy buckeye.

If you can cut right into the seed it's probably not KCT.

HTH,
Jeanne

o

IMHO they look like hyacinth bean

o

those look like staghorn sumac seeds to me but do the red coats rub right off. If they dont then they are not staghorn.Staghorn has a red coat over a white one covering a grey seed. good luck Ric

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here