Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aliciahere_zone3a

Newbie saying hi!

aliciahere_zone3a
12 years ago

Hello to everybody! I love that I found out about WS and found this forum! I am from a suburb of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Probably the best place to be a zone 3 because of our long, long, long, summer days. I also posted on the Canadian WS forum, but it is a tad slow, so i though that I would also post here.

After only one year of veggie gardening under my belt (though many years apprenticing), I decided to be ambitious and seed early, and was researching all about that when I stumbled upon the whole concept of WS - I love this!

I don't have a light setup (hopefully in the budget for next year), and I'm going to be starting some seeds in a south facing bay window under a furnace vent. After finding out about WS, I would also like to try WS at the same time (do half sowing inside, half WS). So sorry for the rambling post - I'm just excited. This is what I plan on planting:

- peppers (I know tricky - they will be in black pots against a south facing brick wall) - WS

- onions - WS

- dusty miller - WS

- marigolds - WS

- carrots - WS

- radishes

- tomatoes - WS

- beans

- peas

- cucumber (in a pot) - WS

- zuchiini (in a pot) - WS

I was thinking of WS the ones indicated - any advise? Anything I should be WS and it's not listed? I've never heard of transplanting carrots - is it tricky? When do you transplant from WS to ground?

It's such an odd year to be starting WS though. I'm worried that due to the crazy temps I will have a bad experience and be turned off. We (like everybody else), have been getting long stretches of above freezing temperatures each and every month, which is so unusual (a 90 year old friend of the family said she doesn't remember EVER having a winter like this).

I'm planning to sow the WS seeds the same time that I am sowing them inside - do you think this would work? The average last frost date for us is May 7 (though I'm planning on a May 14th date, with this odd year). I am worried since it is getting to above freezing almost every day now, that we could then get a -40* night (which isn't outside the realm of possibility, though unlikely). If this happens, could I just bring them inside, or would the warm temps inside the house be a shock to them?

Again sorry for the rambling post, and all of the questions. Any recommendations, or advise would be very much appreciated!

Alicia

Comments (6)

• Amy
    12 years ago

Hi Alicia!
    I'm also new to this - same as you, I had a big veggie garden last year, and this year decided to WS a number of things for the first time. Anyway, I can't give you really any answers because I'm also new to this, but I do have some of the same questions as you! I'm also curious about WSing carrots.

The weather this year is SO tricky. I think everyone is really confused and unsure. Quite the year for us to be getting into winter sowing!

Welcome!

• bakemom_gw
    12 years ago

also check out the canadian winter sowing forum!

• aliciahere_zone3a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Amy! Any info from the other seasoned WSs would be very much appreciated!

Thanx Bakemom - I have checked out the Canadian WS forum also - thanx for the tip! I will be checking in with both.

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

Welcome Alicia!

I don't want to offer any advice since I'm so far south of you.

Karen

• aliciahere_zone3a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Karen - any advise is useful and almost all of it is transferable (we just need to adjust the time of the year).

• northforker
    12 years ago

We need an old time WSer to jump in who knows about vegetables. I am just a flower gal myself....
    Nancy

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area