Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellenrr_gw

Pls share your experience with herbs

ellenrr
13 years ago

An herbologist friend has invited me to her class on March 5 to share my WS'ing, so her students can grow some herbs from seed.

The only herb I've WS'ed is Lavender, which is a wonderful herb to WS esp for newcomers, it germinates thickly.

Other suggestions?

I'm not sure if I should do annuals or perenniels.

It may be a little late for perenniels and it is too early for tender annuals like Salvia, which are easy to WS, but will emerge in an early warm spell, then keel over in a frost. [done that!]

In my zone we can have frost right up to Mother's Day.

I think it is safe to sow perenniels, but they grow slowly, and for new sowers, it's nice to have some speed.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

ellen

Comments (7)

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

So far I have had better success with my herbs surviving a freeze better than I have had perennials survive it.

Soapwort, mexican tea, dill, bronze fennel, virginia stock, rosemary, self heal, have all germinated and looking good. My stock is already growing its first set of true leaves and it germinated before a freeze not a frost moved in.

Take some soapwort to this class with you. I have never grown it before now but from all that I have read this little plant is a very useful plant. It blooms all summer and the leaves you can use to even wash your hair, I even think I read somewhere that a few seeds can wash a couple loads of clothes.

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

I'm a zone colder than you, but I would wintersow any of the following now:

Parsley - biennial, very cold tolerant
    Sweet Marjoram
    Sage - fast growing for a perennial herb
    Oregano
    Thyme
    Cilantro
    Hyssop
    Chives - both regular or garlic

About the only herb I would definitely hold off on is basil. It sprouts so easily, and croaks at the first sign of frost.

I just recently did a talk on wintersowing at the Colorado Farm Show, and it was a great experience. Hope you enjoy yourself!

Bonnie

• bakemom_gw
    13 years ago

I agree with Bonnie. I do two kinds of chives, parsley, leaf lettuce, mint (in a container) thyme, hyssop, feverfew and then I carefully plan my basil. I also grow bronze fennel, dill and rue. I stopped growing cilantro because I can't get the timing right to have it ready when I need it to cook.

Have fun!

• ellenrr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone,
    you have given me many good ideas.
    Carolyn - funny you mention soapwort - it reminded me that I got soapwort seeds in trade year before last, and they grew wonderfully.

Now I just have to remember where they are! (not the seeds - I mean where in the garden did I put these plants.) lol

ellen

• river_crossroads z8b Central Louisiana
    13 years ago

I'm a newbie with cilantro sown on winter solstice. I'm much warmer than you so it's good to see posts from colder zones. My sprouts aren't that pretty but you are welcome to download & use any of my fuzzy pics you want. Or e-mail me & I'll send you pics with higher resolution. I have photographed my babies at several stages, but have had trouble getting camera to focus on what mattered!

Have you tried posting in the Herb forum? Might be some ws'ers there. Below is cilantro today 2/17/11.

{{gwi:355076}}

Here is a link that might be helpful: cilantro & my ws project.

• Bleedfoot
    13 years ago

Herbs are my favourite thing to WS, and i can never have enough of them.

Ive sown tons of herbs, all in early feb, in zone 5- and they did fabulously.

Agastache
    Valerian
    artemesias
    alliums
    chives
    chamomile
    cilantro
    lavender
    fennel
    dill
    celery
    monarda
    mints/nepetas
    Oregano
    Sweet majoram
    rue
    sage
    rosemary
    any Thyme
    any parsley
    feverfew

im sure theres more :P

• ellenrr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks for more herbs to add to my list,
    and for the idea of downloading pics-
    what a great idea!
    I will have to ask someone who is more computer savvy than me to help.
    Definitely I should take some pics to the class- if one hasn't already done WS'ing, sometimes it is hard to believe it really works..

Sponsored