Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellenr22

Let me tell you about this gardening project

We have about 13 people. We are encouraging people in the neighborhood to garden in their yard. We are sharing experise, such as, how to build raised bed, garden design, permaculture, soil testing, and Winter Sowing.

(guess who is the WS "expert"? )

We are as organic as possible and the proceeds will be donated to the local food bank.

And we hope to have a garden curriculum in the school.

And to train youth in green jobs.

Gardeners are such interesting people, it's always a pleasure to meet more, and it is great fun and satisfying to spread WS'ing.

At our first meeting (Feb 1st)everyone was going around the circle introducing themselves, and many people would say "I just can't wait til it is time to plant"

Oh my goodness you can imagine how I was jumping up and down, hardly able to "contain" myself til it was my turn and I could say, "You don't have to wait".!

I know there are some Joisey people on this group, so if anyone wants more info, or wants to join us pls mail me off-list.

ellen

Comments (6)

• editornj
    15 years ago

That is SO exciting!

Congrats on finding/establishing this group. I would LOVE to be part of something like this.

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

having other 'real life' gardening friends is/would be wonderful! great idea to have a 'gardening club'. How did you all get together. Did you send out flyers in the neighbourhood? all know each other from moms/dads at school?
    you might inspire us to start our own group! :)
    gg

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

This is awesome! I wish I was your neighbor! Unfortunately I have only one neighbor that is remotely into gardening,she moved next door last summer and only got started at the end,the good thing is she asked for some of my Salvia at the end of the season last year!!!! I was so excited...lol..I am hoping to have her ws'ing next year,or she may just decide to take my extra babies instead,either way is fine by me! :)

I have decided this year I am contacting the people who work our community garden,it is a nice lot and they tend to it so well! I figure I could donate some great seeds and get them addicted to ws'ing too...lol..I am pretty excited about the possibility of contributing some new and interesting things to them!:)

Good luck with your project,I am sure it will be a great success! :)

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    Original Author
    15 years ago

gg,
    How we got together, a couple invited everyone they knew who was interested in gardening, sustainability, food security [ie the idea that no one should be hungry],
    and viola there we are.
    Two members are members of a church, we are in partnership with the church to farm some of their land to provide for the food bank.
    One of the members teaches at a local college, he brought along a student who is helping us.
    It's amazing what resources and expertise there is in one's own neighborhood, once you start looking.
    I hope you go for it!

ellen

• ajpa
    15 years ago

This sounds so great! You guys all deserve a medal!

• dorisl
    15 years ago

My two next door neighbors have a different idea of gardening than I do. They go to target when the landscapers come. :( Im afraid of either of them to notice my compost bin. One calls an exterminator in on a regular basis and the other ones husband runs a (different) exterminator company. Last spring he was out looking at raccoon tracks. Luckily he didnt go over the fence and follow them all the way back.

A guy a couple doors down is a real gardener tho, so we get to yak a bit during the season. Luckily, he's got a bin too, so I dont feel like such a weirdo.

:)
    D

Sponsored