Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
too late to WS greens?

Posted by ellenrr 6B (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 7:33

Hi everyone,
I just started this years sowing. My first - dandelions---yum.
I also have in mind- broccoli, lettuce, argula, - I've WS'ed them before, they are marvously easy to WS. But I'm wondering if this is too late - I know they do not like warm weather.

thanks,
ellen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: too late to WS greens?

Well I don't know where you live, but here in eastern Mass we still have about 1 foot of snow on the ground, and another foot coming this weekend! So NOTHING is sprouting and growing anyway, no matter how cool the plants like the weather.

Do you have stuff emerging or growing in the gardens yet?

Dandelions huh - we got plenty of those around here, without having to sow them in containers!

o

I'm new to this forum. Can you acturally sow certain varieties this early? What are some of the varieties that you sow this time of year? I usually think of 4-season gardening from the fall end of things, I guess. I've alway sown a large amount of kale, collard, rape, in the late summer for all-winter harvest here in Western NC. But I'd love the idea of sowing now and having things succeed in germinating and getting a good start.

o

4SEASON, this is not direct sowing in winter, but sowing into containers like milk jugs and 2L bottles then putting the containers outside and letting nature take its course. The FAQ will explain the whole process pretty thoroughly.

Ellen, unless you're having an unusually warm winter I don't see why you couldn't do greens. None of my lettuce or broccoli has sprouted and they're usually among the first.

Caryl

o

I hope it's not too late! I have some lettuce sprouting, but it's still pretty cold here in North Alabama. I'm not motivated to plant anything out yet, especially as we're having a dusting of snow tonight. Maybe by next weekend, but in the meantime, I think I'll sow some cress, endive, and Chinese greens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here