Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you WS bulbs

Posted by Gertrude1 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 8:21

I have some daffodil bulbs that didn't make it into the ground in Fall, can I put them in a milk jug and WS? Has anyone done this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you WS bulbs

Um, I generally sow seeds which will turn into bulbs. I would suggest planting them anyway - they may be blind this year but will be fine next year.

o

I think you mean force? My method - place daffs in pot with soil, water thoroughly. Place daffs in pot in cardboard box outside place newspaper crumpled overtop before closing. Wait to bring outdoors when roots appear under pot. Place in warm sunlight. Arrange daffs in pot with points inward around in a circle. Seems to work.

o

'Arrange daffs in pot with points inward around in a circle.' Do you mean on their sides? What is the thinking behind that?

I'd just plant the bulbs in the ground right now if it's workable. If not plant in pots and put them outside. i don't see a need for the milk jug treatment since they are bulbs, not seeds.

o

If you can work the ground, I would still plant them or pot them in a nice pot for an indoor arrangement and then plant them outside (or do both if you have too many for indoors). They may come up a bit later this year either way due to developing their root system.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here