Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zone 5 Newbie interested in Z5 best practices

Posted by Gertrude1 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 6, 14 at 8:39

I'm a winter sowing virgin in Zone 5. I'm interested in hearing from others in Zone 5 regarding when you start specific veggies, veggies that do well in Zone 5 winter sowing, veggies to avoid; and other Zone 5 best practices.

T

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zone 5 Newbie interested in Z5 best practices

I am a zone 5 wintersowers, but I sow mostly flowers and plants to support wildlife habitat. Most cool weather veggies do wonderfully with wintersowing. Lettuce, radishes, broccoli, spinach, herbs, etc. do very well. Even tomatoes do well. They may start out smaller than store-bought plants, but their healthy root systems allow them to catch up with hothouse plants and they are less susceptible to disease. Hopefully, someone more experienced will speak up.

Martha

o

I'm not that experienced at gardening or winter sowing, but I have tried a trick with tomatoes that I like. I plant them just as usual for winter sowing, Then I set the pots outside in the daytime and bring them in each night until night-time temps are safe to leave them outdoors.. I get a good jump on the growing season this way. I know this method might be frowned upon by some people, but it works very, very well for me.

o

I usually usually plant them the first or second week of March. It's been brutally cold here this year, so I might delay them this year. Only time will tell.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here