Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellenrr_gw

A suggestion for getting great soil

ellenrr
13 years ago

I get mine from a local garden center.

Some of the garden centers re-package and sell the soil they buy in bulk. Very inexpensive.

If you don't see it, ask for it.

What I get is composed of vermiculite, peat and humus. It is very light, drains well.

Should be great for seed starting.

Plus I prefer to support local business instead of the big mega-box stores.

Comments (11)

• kqcrna
    13 years ago

Me, too, Ellen.

I used to get reasonable prices from Home Depot on ProMix, then they stopped carrying it. I went to local nurseries who generally also have only MG out for sale to customers. I ask what they use for their own use in the nurseries and if they would sell me a bag. That's how I've gotten Fafard, Sunshine Metro Mix, and ProMix locally, and I've liked all of them.

Karen

• linda_jo
    13 years ago

When I first read about Wintersowing on Wintersown.org Trudi said she bought the cheapest potting mix she could find. Although I have always used good mixes for container gardening I followed her advice and bought cheap soil. Things are germinating so I guess it's okay. Someone (Trudi?) said not to use mixes with fertilizer but many have said they use Miracle Grow and it has fertilizer. I bought some MG this weekend for containers and used some for sowing seeds (my cheap stuff ran out). Can anyone tell me if the fertilizer will hinder germination?

• ontheteam
    13 years ago

Its hard to get soil here in MA in the winter. If I am smart I buy from a local nursery the pro mix in the fall.

if I am not smart I take what I can get LOL.. I have Miracle grow potting mix DH chipped outta the ice in back of a lowes for me and the MG Moisture Control potting soil that we sell at work( Costco ) I cut it with a lot of vermiculite.

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

There's a family-owned nursery supply company 7 miles east of where I live. In addition to commercial nurseries, they sell to anyone who walks through the door. Back in August I drove there and brought home 3 compressed bales of Fafard growers mix. I could only find frozen bales last December-January and decided this time to have them on premises, inside the garage and ready when I needed them to start winter sowing. I cut open bale #3 yesterday.

• linda_jo
    13 years ago

Linda Jo again... what about the cheap soil and MG with fertilizer. Anyone know the answer? (look back a couple replies for my question please... or is this the wrong thread...)thanks

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    13 years ago

Linda Jo, the fertilzer should be fine. Your seedlings don't need it right off but it isn't going to hinder germination. I'd rather use one without it added, but plenty have used the MG with success - don't worry .

If you're wondering why without, I don't have failure with it to compare it to, I would just rather be in charge of when and how much fertilizer my containerized things get. Maybe it's a control issue:)

• ontheteam
    13 years ago

I always end up using some MG... and it works the one with Moisture control is not my fave... and I cut ANY MG with as much peat moss or vermiculite as I can get my hands on... but MG on its on it will do the job
    If you read a lot of seed packs like cosmos it says favors thin or poor soil... so the cheaper stuff is fine for al;ot of WS stuff...

• linda_jo
    13 years ago

Thanks all. I will mix in some perlite/ peatmoss. Probably always a good idea anyway.

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

I have used a mix made by a local nursery which uses compost from our yard waste facility and it is good but not less expensive than other commercial products.

I have also used mixes with and without fertilizer and moisture retentive properties. All have worked fine.

My favorite is still Pro Mix bales which I buy on sale in the fall at HD when I can find them.

• oliveoyl3
    12 years ago

I found out how to save $100 on potting soil & have plenty for the entire season by purchasing it by the cubic yard at a place where bark is sold.

For a bulk cubic yard as eyeballed by the staff who loads it up it's either $50 or $37 depending on which mix I select (Pro Greenhouse mix or their brand) + tax.

For a cubic yard or 27 cubit feet it would take 10.8 bags Miracle Grow from H*me Dep*t sold in 2.5 cu. ft bags. If my math is correct $13.47 x 10.8 bags = $145.48 + sales tax.

I always think I'm not going to go through that many bags of it, but by the end of the year I've emptied more bags than I want to admit. Since I want to grow more annuals and vegetable transplants this year I will figure out a place to store a mountain of potting soil without it looking too tacky, get rained on or blown away.

Looks like I will have my $50 of Christmas money spent soon.

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    12 years ago

I'll drive far and wide to get my promix bx!

I used to be able to get it two towns over "about 25 minute ride>. This year they had the gall..haha to stop carrying it. I had to drive 40 minutes each way to get it but grabbed 4 bales while I was there.I don't think I will run out this season!

The first year I tried winter sowing I did a little experiment..I used miracle grow, walmarts expert blend and promix for the same seeds grown side by side. The promix one was a lot bigger and healthier than the other two..The number 2 plant of the three...your thinking miracle grow....Nope, it was walmarts expert blend. If I couldn't get my promix, I would use the expert blend with some peat added in because it was a bit dense.

Funny, how so many people growing the same things prefer differnt soil..

Happy Growing!

Lisa

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths