Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessewo

Has anyone used plastic coffee 'cans'?

jessewo
12 years ago

My office uses a lot of coffee & empties lots of the 2lb plastic cans with the snap on lid. (the red ones-you know what I mean!) I've been using them for all sorts of things-paste old christmas card fronts over the printing & they make a nifty christmas cookie container that people don't feel obligated to give back like a tin! They have been wonderful for transporting the used grounds to the compost!

Today I looked at one & said Hmmmm... drill holes in the bottom, cut out the center of the top & snap it back on over plastic wrap with holes in it...

They're a nice size-not a big worry with drying out, they are sturdy & seem like they would last for several years. My concern is that I usually use soda bottles or milk jugs-I haven't done much with opaque containers. Would heat or drying be more of a problem than with the translucent jugs? Not being able to see the roots isn't really an issue for me. I know a lot of people swear by aluminum pans, what do you think of this?

Comments (7)

• beachgrub
    12 years ago

I think that black lid would draw too much heat. I also use them for pretty much everything! Crayons, legos, old bacon grease, flower pots, hair bands, etc. Love that the handle is built in. I do have 3 clematis starts in 3 separate containers now, perfect size!

• jessewo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was thinking of cutting out most of the black lid & using the remaining rim to click down over top of clear plastic w/holes in it to let rain in. That way the top would be transparent & vent heat

• melvalena
    12 years ago

Yes, cutting out the lid is the way to go.
    I used one once, way back about 10 years ago. It worked great.... too great. The plant got so big and was so happy in it that I put off transplanting. When I finally did transplant it was not easy getting it out of the container.

Its so deep and not very flexable, you end up cutting up the container to get the plant (s) out! So I don't use them for WSing anymore.

But
    I use mine with a folded paper towel in the bottom for collecting my kitchen scraps for the compost pile. I have about 8 of them under the sink and once each is full it gets set out on the porch and when I have time I carry them to the pile.

They are easy to wash/rinse out and use again.

I have one under the sink in our bathroom to put all the bar soap "ends" into. One day I'll melt them down and make
    either liquid soap or more bar soap out of them. :)

One I have stored heirloom tomato seeds in. A friend saved seeds spread on a paper towel and dried them. She wrote the name of each on the paper towel and when dry folded them up. I stick them in the coffee container and save them that way.
    When ready to plant, just snip the paper towel around each seed and plant.. paper and all. They sprout just fine.

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

I'm trying a bunch of the smaller 14 oz coffee cans this year. I found it easier to toss the lid and just put a plastic baggie on top with an elastic. A lot easier than trying to cut up those lids.

• ricjo22
    12 years ago

Melvalena My italian grandfather showed me how to save tomato seed that way and i've been using that method for 50years. I cut tomatoes that i'm eating on one towel and then press a fresh towel over it to draw off the seeds and you have instant plant tape Ric

Here is a link that might be useful: ricjo22's exchange list

• trudi_d
    12 years ago

Folgers containers work great, as do Maxwell House and all the others. They last a long, long time. You'll get many years out of them.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    12 years ago

Posted by pixie_lou 5 (My Page) on Fri, Feb 3, 12 at 15:03

I'm trying a bunch of the smaller 14 oz coffee cans this year. I found it easier to toss the lid and just put a plastic baggie on top with an elastic. A lot easier than trying to cut up those lids. I don't do much of what you call "winter sowing'' but this is similar one of my favorite indoor rooting or seed starting tricks. I use the 'sandwich bags', I think they are called, and a container that is about the right size such that the bag stretches tight, sometimes clipping a corner for aeration.

Sponsored